Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
cachaito

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by cachaito » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 am

Hi guys and sorry for my lame question at beginning :|

I just bought a Game Boy Player (PAL). I have unmodified GC NTSC version and plan to buy Action Replay (NTSC) and SD Gecko card reader (both attached). Will this setup allows me to run a Game Boy Interface?

Best regards, Bart
Attachments
sd_card.jpg
(18.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
action_replay.jpg
(542.28 KiB) Not downloaded yet
lilhed

Post by lilhed » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 pm

cachaito wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 am

I just bought a Game Boy Player (PAL). I have unmodified GC NTSC version and plan to buy Action Replay (NTSC) and SD Gecko card reader (both attached). Will this setup allows me to run a Game Boy Interface?

Best regards, Bart
Yes, That's the set up that I have....except the PAL Game Boy Player. I have the NTSC GBP.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 pm

The GBP doesn't have regions.
wasoha

Post by wasoha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:28 am

I''m new to this, was lead to believe elsewhere that wind waker save method would be pretty much plug and play and I already had all the equipment necessary for it. Easy enough to use my already softmodded wii to sort out the memory card.

However when I start a GBA game, my aspect ratio seems off. Picture is overly square. Not as plug and play as I expected. I figured out that X adjusts zoom, but how do I adjust aspect ratio? Is there another button combo for that? I have no idea how to change any settings with this setup.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:53 am

The easiest way is to use Swiss as your boot.gci and load GBI from an SD card. That way you get a nice menu that lets you customize everything.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm

A square? Is the on-screen display reading 16:9? If so, set your TV to 16:9.
wasoha

Post by wasoha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:38 pm

Extrems wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:07 pm
A square? Is the on-screen display reading 16:9? If so, set your TV to 16:9.
The OSD is indeed reading 16:9. But the gamecube outputs in 4:3 so I don't know why mine would default to a mismatched aspect ratio for the device it's running on.

Maybe it's something about my setup screwing something up along the way? I'm using the EON to output with HDMI. Gamecube games are outputting just fine in their correct ratio but GBI seems to be expecting something different. I'm assuming I just need to change GBI to 4:3 so that the output matches the internal expectation, but I'd rather not spent extra money to access one single menu item if I can get away with it.

If there is no way of doing this with button combos while active, is there any way to change the gbi.gci file default settings on the pc before I load it onto the memory card? I'm not going to be finicking with a bunch of settings, I'm basically aiming to set it and forget it.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm

Many GameCube games do support 16:9.
wasoha

Post by wasoha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm

Extrems wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm
Many GameCube games do support 16:9.
Wasn't that only technically "support" because it was just outputting a 16:9 image to the same standard output resolution anyway and asking the user to take action to stretch it? An annoying implementation by today's standards, but it was early days for widescreen support in 2001. Maybe that's just for the games I had, can't speak for all of them. I always just played default settings. Turn on, play game. That's the kind of experience I like so I still tend to play gamecube in standard 4:3, letting my tv display the signal normally without the need for any settings changes. I don't have to touch a thing.

But that's getting sidetracked I guess. Back to the point, whatever the gamecube did or did not do, GBI is not outputting with the behavior I'm personally looking for so that I don't need to change tv settings exclusively for GBI every time I use it, and I just want to know if that is possible for me to set as a default on my version without buying the whole SDmc/SD/AR kit to access menus in swiss. If not just let me know and I'll make my peace with it. It's not a huge deal, it's just not my ideal.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm

You get a wider zoom range in 16:9 since GBA is slightly wider than 4:3.

But if you insist, you can use the CLI append method and convert the DOL+CLI with dol2gci.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:41 pm

wasoha wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm
Wasn't that only technically "support" because it was just outputting a 16:9 image to the same standard output resolution anyway and asking the user to take action to stretch it?
Anamorphic wide screen was the standard back then. True wide screen (with square pixels) only got popular with digital TV and HD. The only analog cables that can properly signal the aspect ratio are SCART and D-Terminal, and the GameCube doesn't support that feature.
wasoha

Post by wasoha » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:41 pm

Extrems wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 pm
You get a wider zoom range in 16:9 since GBA is slightly wider than 4:3.

But if you insist, you can use the CLI append method and convert the DOL+CLI with dol2gci.
Thanks, yes I understand about the zoom range and the limits of using 4:3.
And thank you for pointing me in the right direction for configuration. Since I'm new I had no idea what a DOL or a CLI file were, but with that nudge in the right direction I was able to find more info by searching the thread and wiki.

With this wiki page I was able to figure out the arguments:
https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... rd_Edition
And from your post here I learned how to append CLI and convert:
viewtopic.php?t=2782&start=675#p38901

I'm all good now, behaving as expected. Start and Play, just how I like it.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:15 am

For GBA-as-GC controller:
  • Added Nintendo DS Rumble Pak support.
  • Added Nintendo DS Slide Controller rumble support.
As a reminder, you can also use a Drill Dozer or WarioWare: Twisted! cartridge.
Invader TAK

Post by Invader TAK » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:43 pm

So we know the EON GCHD has issues with GBI. What about the HDMI adapter from HDMy Cube? That's the adapter I'm looking to get since it's the newest external solution.

EDIT: Looked at the ZXP Plug n Play 3.0 and it's able to be updated. I'll get that one instead.
Setup:

North American GameCube with XenoGC, OEM Memory Card 1019, Game Boy Player, and SDGecko with SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD Card
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:07 pm

They're all the same until GCVideo-DVI 2.5 or GCVideoX is released.
Invader TAK

Post by Invader TAK » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:03 am

Extrems wrote:
Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:07 pm
They're all the same until GCVideo-DVI 2.5 or GCVideoX is released.
Got it. I'll get the ZXP adapter since it can be updated.
Setup:

North American GameCube with XenoGC, OEM Memory Card 1019, Game Boy Player, and SDGecko with SanDisk Ultra 32GB SD Card
Morfeo

Post by Morfeo » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:44 pm

Hello!

I am new to the board, but have been using GBI with Swiss for about a year, which I love.

However, yesterday, i wanted to boot up some F-Zero on it, and when i press the gbi-ll.dol file the screen simply freezes. I havent changed my setup at all, which makes this sudden freezing really bizarre. I try again and again, and now it freezes every time. I simply can not load the gbi. Also tried the normal and ull-versions, and none of them load.

Anyways, i use a pal cube, with the Action Replay disc, and loads swiss/gbi from an sd card. Any advice would be much, much appreciated!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:53 pm

Update your software first. I also suggest reformatting your SD card as the Action Replay can barf with fragmentation.
cachaito

Post by cachaito » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:52 pm

lilhed wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:00 pm
cachaito wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:26 am

Best regards, Bart
Yes, That's the set up that I have....except the PAL Game Boy Player. I have the NTSC GBP.
Just received Action Replay. I've started a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance in High-Fidelity mode and... I'm still searching my jaw on the floor :o
Extreme you did a A-W-E-S-O-M-E work! All the best ;)
pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:48 am

Hello all!

Just got the GBI up and running, thank you Extrems for this wonderful piece of software.

I'm playing my games on a Sony PVM with Component cables, and I find that I get the best quality video with the GBI high-fidelity version, there is no ghosting and the colors are excellent. Despite the HF-refresh rate I still seem to get the occasional frame stutter, any idea what might be causing this? I'm booting Swiss from a DVD and have the GBI DOLs on my Gamecube memory card.

Second question: Will there ever be a built in zoom-function for this version? Since I'm not using a Framemeister or OSSC I can't scale the image to fill the screen. Will happily be playing with a black border for now, unless I'm missing something and I can achieve the same quality with the regular GBI version that supports scaling? Can't seem to get rid of the ghosting on that one, and the colors don't appear as vividly.

Thanks again for this awesome piece of software, I hope you're all having a great weekend. Cheers from Sweden!

EDIT: Did some more testing, the frame-stutter I mentioned only appears in Pokémon Emerald when changing areas and the sign with the town or route name appears. It must be inherent to the game and not the GBI software I just happened to be testing it on a save file where I was between a town and route, my bad!°
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:21 pm

pommel_jewel wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:48 am
Will there ever be a built in zoom-function for this version?
It wouldn't be useful with the low effective resolution.
pommel_jewel wrote:
Will happily be playing with a black border for now, unless I'm missing something and I can achieve the same quality with the regular GBI version that supports scaling? Can't seem to get rid of the ghosting on that one, and the colors don't appear as vividly.
You can't disable the temporal interpolation, but you can make the colors oversaturated again. The speedrunning edition also support scaling.
pommel_jewel wrote:
Did some more testing, the frame-stutter I mentioned only appears in Pokémon Emerald when changing areas and the sign with the town or route name appears. It must be inherent to the game and not the GBI software I just happened to be testing it on a save file where I was between a town and route, my bad!°
It's indeed inherent to the Pokemon Generation 3 games.
pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you for the swift reply Extrems!

Could you clue me in on using scaling with the SR version? Do I just put ”3x” into a .cli and append it to the sr .dol?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:57 pm

pommel_jewel

Post by pommel_jewel » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:02 pm

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction, will give the SR version a try!
shinchandoidao6669

Post by shinchandoidao6669 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:24 am

Hi Extrems!

The high-fidelity edition version works in this plug and play solutions?
I play a lot the speedrunning edition but i want play games with lower latency possible.
I thinking in update my s-video cables for a eon hdmi or cgplug plug or other solution. I dont have the money for pay the original component cables and my gamecube is the us version.
The image quality really is very bad with these gadgets?

Sorry for my english and thanks again for this god job! I like a lot the Game Boy Interface homebrew :)