Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Direct support using a modified cable.
count.zero

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by count.zero » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Extrems wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:18 pm
Direct support using a modified cable.
Great! There is other software that uses the N64 controller? I mean there should be a test disk IIRC but does it work with, example, the N64 emulated copy of Zelda OOT?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:55 pm

Not64 could use N64 accessories with controller type set to N64 for a couple years now, but it's not yet supported for UI navigation.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:20 am

So I tried to dive into overlay setup, but don't know where to begin.
I don't know where to find information, looked in the Wiki, no readme's in the packages, can't connect to Discord…

The only thing I found is the overlay path, and options from the SR edition's Wiki, but don't find what format it should have (can't manage to read the frame files, to begin), so I have my overlay grid ready on Graphic Converter, but don't know to what format I have to save it, neither if the gaps grid has to be white or black.

I hate asking dumb questions, and try my best not to, but can you point me to a discussion about making overlays, if anybody ever discussed about it somewhere?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:26 pm

It has to be in the standard GC/Wii TPL texture format, with premultiplied alpha.

If using the standard edition with --output-gamma=2.2 (default), or the speedrunning edition with --gamma=2.2, it also has to be in linear RGB rather than sRGB.
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:03 pm

I'm using Action Replay MAX on my early-model GameCube and all I can get is the error message "Please Insert Action Replay Hardware into Slot B". It doesn't read anything from my SD card adapter.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Because it doesn't natively support SD cards. You need to use an exploit.

Follow these instructions (SDload can be replaced with Swiss), or find the later version with SD Media Launcher functionality.
GenPDP7

Post by GenPDP7 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:13 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm

Follow these instructions (SDload can be replaced with Swiss), or find the later version with SD Media Launcher functionality.
This brings me to my problem. When I try to follow these instructions, I run into an issue. When I run SDpatch.exe F: (from the command line), I get an error message saying that it failed to obtain "low-level access" to the drive. Some old forum posts I found made the claim that this file doesn't work in newer versions of windows past XP. But I have no access to windows XP at all, so I am looking for a workaround here.
N7Kopper

Post by N7Kopper » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:24 am

GenPDP7 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:13 pm
Extrems wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:08 pm

This brings me to my problem. When I try to follow these instructions, I run into an issue. When I run SDpatch.exe F: (from the command line), I get an error message saying that it failed to obtain "low-level access" to the drive. Some old forum posts I found made the claim that this file doesn't work in newer versions of windows past XP. But I have no access to windows XP at all, so I am looking for a workaround here.
Low-level access simply means that the patcher needs to be able to take full control of reading from and writing to the card, and modify the raw bits without going through the OS' abstraction layers. It would help if you told us what OS you were actually using. Given how old this tool is, it might well not work with SDHC or SDXC cards, so be sure to use an old style SD, formatted to FAT16 like the wiki page says.

Oh, and did you try running the program in admin mode? Newer versions of Windows restrict low-level access to storage devices to admin mode (Defragging tools need to run in admin mode, that should tell you everything)

If you get completely stumped, try running sdpatch.dol via a Wii with a cMIOS and a program to boot GCN homebrew. (Making sure, of course, to put the SD Card in the SD Gecko rather than the native Wii SD slot that gets disabled in GameCube mode)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:11 pm

Well, if he have had a GCN compatible Wii, he just wouldn't have to bother much more than putting a gamexploit and DoLauncher on a Memcard. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Grimmy_Dragon

Post by Grimmy_Dragon » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:09 pm

Hey guys, I'm having trouble getting GBI to use a cli file when i make it autoexec.col, I've tired renaming both the cli and dsp files autoexec to match, both at once and one or the other, and nothing i do seems to load the cli settings when i boot up GBI. any idea what i am doing wrong?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:19 pm

The SD Media Launcher doesn't use .cli files. You have to use the method described for other loaders.
WkrGC

Post by WkrGC » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:37 pm

Is there a way to change the gameboy game without having to reboot the console each time?
In the gameboy player software there is an option to hot swap the gameboy cartridge.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, hold the reset button while changing the cartridge.
WkrGC

Post by WkrGC » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:41 pm
Yes, hold the reset button while changing the cartridge.
Thanks. I just read it on the faq.
How do I change Game Paks?
1. Hold the Reset Button.
2. Slide the Game Pak Ejector.
3. Insert a Game Pak into the Game Pak Slot.
4. Release the Reset Button.
Weeros

Post by Weeros » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi! First of all Extrems, thank you so much for creating this software for all of us to enjoy!

Having finally moved into an apartment with a dedicated game room, I was just setting up my system for the first time and noticed a bit of a recurring issue - perhaps you Extrems or someone else could point me to the right direction?

Basically, my setup is US NTSC Gamecube, GB Player, Official component cable into Framemeister, Framemeister using FirebrandX’s GB profiles (x6 for GBA, x7 for GB/GBC). I’m using Datel’s action replay/ SD media launcher with 2GB SD-card, from memory card slot 2 using the latest version of gbhf-xrgb.dol+cli renamed as autoexec.dol on the memory card root.

The issue is, so far in my tests, the GBA games have launched every time without an issue. However the GB games have almost all had issues to launch. Sometimes I get black screen, some times white screen, sometimes white screen with distortion, all this after GC and Action Replay boot sequences have shown. The oddest thing is, even games that didn’t work after 2-3 reboots (of shutting down GC and repowering) have some times worked after the 4th or 5th boot, then working without issues. Another strange thing is, these games work fine on the first try on both my GBA SP and with official GB Player software so nothing points out to bad contacts either...

Any ideas what to try or where the issue might be? Also anywhere I could try an older version of GBI to see if that would make any difference?

My sincerest thanks in advance for any help!
WkrGC

Post by WkrGC » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:15 pm

@Weeros
Have you tried another SD?
Have you tried formatting SD card with SD Formatter and re-saving everything?
Sometimes it gets corrupted or gives problems.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:47 pm

It's not their SD card. It's some kind of hardware quirk I still haven't figured out and I'm personally unable to reproduce.
Weeros

Post by Weeros » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:37 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:47 pm
It's not their SD card. It's some kind of hardware quirk I still haven't figured out and I'm personally unable to reproduce.
Hardware quirk with the GB Player? A faulty unit? Should I try to obtain another one?
MichiS97

Post by MichiS97 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:58 pm

Hi guys,
apparently, I'm too stupid to set this up properly. I'm booting the latest version of Swiss from a DVD and then I'm loading the standard GBI (filename "GBI.dol") from my SD2SP2.
The GBA game then loads perfectly fine and I could play perfectly but my problem is that none of my config options in the GBI.cli are in effect. I've used the gbi.cli.example file and just renamed it to gbi.cli but I'm still seeing the OSD, there's no border, etc.
My guess is that GBI is just not finding the config file?

My folder structure is:

/:
GBI.dol
GBI.cli

/GBI/:
lutrgb*.png
frame.tpl.gz
frame-srgb.tpl.gz
*a bunch of other files from the GBI-Extra archive

/GBI/frame/
*everything from the archive*

/GBI/frame-srgb/
*everything from the archive*

What's strange is, that I also can't take any screenshots. When I press Z, the OSD says "No Such Device". I'm using the latest version of GBI Standard. That does support SD2SP2, right?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:04 pm

The .cli file is parsed by Swiss and the arguments are passed to GBI via the standard C argument vector. It is not read by GBI.

It does support the SD2SP2, but it doesn't support exFAT partitions if you're using one.
mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:37 am

Please forgive me if this is a noob question but I have a GCvideo HDMI GameCube and am trying to get the proper version of GBI to run. I reviewed the wiki pages and tried both gbi-gchd.dol+cli and gbisr-ossc.dol+cli. Both of these produce an invalid signal which my 4K Samsung cannot sync to. I can run the plain gbi.dol and it loads but the zoom is too small and the colors don't seem quite right. I'm launching via Swiss and 240p / 480i line doubling is enabled in GCvideo settings.

What am I doing wrong here? I'm not a speed runner. I'm just looking to get the best full screen image I can from my GBA games. Thanks for any help
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:56 pm

The ossc version outputs 360p signal for component cables.
Stick to the standard version, but don't line double the interlaced modes, and go for 480p to zoom to 3x if your display doesn't overscan.

mario64

Post by mario64 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Thank you for the response! Is there a preset which does this? If not, are you saying to disable line doubling in GCvideo but then set Swiss options for GBI to 480p and 3x zoom?
MichiS97

Post by MichiS97 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:12 pm

Extrems wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:04 pm
The .cli file is parsed by Swiss and the arguments are passed to GBI via the standard C argument vector. It is not read by GBI.

It does support the SD2SP2, but it doesn't support exFAT partitions if you're using one.
Hey,
so I just tried this again with a completely new 16GB microSD card, formatted with FAT32. Again, I've got GBI.dol and GBI.cli in the root directory and all the extra files in a folder called GBI in the root directory.
I'm still experiencing the exact same issues. I cannot make screenshots (OSD states "No such device") and the arguments from the cli file are not in effect.

Any ideas as to what I should be looking at?

EDIT: I appended the contents of the CLI file to the DOL (using "cat gbi.cli >> gbi.dol") and renamed the dol gbi.dol+cli and it still doesn't work...