Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Bakkus

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Bakkus » Sun May 15, 2016 12:54 am

This deletes my save files when I start them back up again, if I reset the console, the save files does not get deleted, but if I turn off the console, turn it on again, go in to LL and start the game anew, the save file is deleted, what is the problem here?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun May 15, 2016 1:09 am

Sounds like your cartridge's battery died.
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Sun May 15, 2016 1:23 am

Extrems wrote:Sounds like your cartridge's battery died.
Ah yes, I tested it on my SP too. How do you get new batteries, and how do you change them?
AndehX

Post by AndehX » Sun May 15, 2016 10:58 am

ebay is the best place to find the right battery. You will probably need to de-solder the old battery and solder the new one in.
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Sun May 15, 2016 1:48 pm

AndehX wrote:ebay is the best place to find the right battery. You will probably need to de-solder the old battery and solder the new one in.
I see most of the items for sale mention Pokemon as if that's the only games they'll work on. Is that misleading and are they just singling out that franchise due to that being the ones most are looking to replace battery on?
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Sun May 15, 2016 5:07 pm

^That was not a rethorical question. I'm genuinely curious. Don't want to take any chances.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sun May 15, 2016 5:18 pm

It's misleading in a way- the watch battery used in Pokemon games may differ from the one used in others since it has to power a real-time clock as well- I'd open yours up first and check the battery.
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Sun May 15, 2016 5:52 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:It's misleading in a way- the watch battery used in Pokemon games may differ from the one used in others since it has to power a real-time clock as well- I'd open yours up first and check the battery.
No, the battery doesn't differ. Those are normal button cell batteries used in many different applications.
And not only Pokemon games use them. There are other games too.
Bakkus wrote:I see most of the items for sale mention Pokemon as if that's the only games they'll work on. Is that misleading and are they just singling out that franchise due to that being the ones most are looking to replace battery on?
It's just the case that Pokemon games are quite popular and those games are prone to lose their savefile soon or later.

GBC titles use CR2025 (normally). Those batteries can be replaced by CR2025 and CR2032.
GBA titles use CR1616 (normally). Those batteries can be replaced by CR1616 and CR1632 (or CR1620).

The CR**32 ones have a higher mA count and therefore have a longer life expectancy. They may not always fit into the cases but you should really go for that.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
Bakkus

Post by Bakkus » Sun May 15, 2016 6:18 pm

Sierron wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:It's misleading in a way- the watch battery used in Pokemon games may differ from the one used in others since it has to power a real-time clock as well- I'd open yours up first and check the battery.
No, the battery doesn't differ. Those are normal button cell batteries used in many different applications.
And not only Pokemon games use them. There are other games too.
Bakkus wrote:I see most of the items for sale mention Pokemon as if that's the only games they'll work on. Is that misleading and are they just singling out that franchise due to that being the ones most are looking to replace battery on?
It's just the case that Pokemon games are quite popular and those games are prone to lose their savefile soon or later.

GBC titles use CR2025 (normally). Those batteries can be replaced by CR2025 and CR2032.
GBA titles use CR1616 (normally). Those batteries can be replaced by CR1616 and CR1632 (or CR1620).

The CR**32 ones have a higher mA count and therefore have a longer life expectancy. They may not always fit into the cases but you should really go for that.
Ah thanks. This is extremely annoying having to do. I was so looking forward to play a translated Mother 3 cart through this GBI, but now I have to wait.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Tue May 17, 2016 4:51 am

funkwad wrote:
Well, GameCube games at 480i and 480p running over HDMI are undoubtedly going to look better than running over official component cables to the Framemeister. (Framemeister has some disappointing results for GameCube and PS2 component inputs, to my eyes)

However running GBi over component cables at 240p looks as good as SNES RGB.

So it seems, a different connection is ideal depending on what you want (GameCube games vs. Game Boy / GBA games (via the Game Boy Player))
FBX here. I do custom integer-based profiles for the Framemeister, and recently finished a suite of profiles for the Game Boy Player and also the GBI via the official component cables. Obviously the GBI 240p mode looks quite a lot better than straight 480i/p from the default Game Boy Player software. This is for two reasons: 1. The Gamecube has a rather poor picture in interlaced mode. 2. The progressive mode is ruined by the Framemeister's false contouring issue for 480p sources.

You mentioned GBI over component cables looks as good as SNES RGB, but I'd say fro my end it's not quite to that quality (mostly because I have a 1CHIP-03 with restored csync). However, I believe my integer-scaled profiles will be the best look you can get for the GBI on the Framemeister's D-Terminal input. That said, I found at least on the USA Gamecube I have, the "ULL" version simply does not work on the Framemeister via D-Terminal. I was forced to make my profiles based on the "LL" version as a result.

For those interested, my profiles can be downloaded here:

http://www.firebrandx.com/framemeisterprofiles.html

You'll need to scroll down to the green link near the bottom to download the profiles as the individual pages are not yet completed (under construction).
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue May 17, 2016 5:22 am

The ULL version might be booting in 480p, as I asked Extrems about earlier. Try running a Gamecube game that supports progressive scan, then choose not to enable it. That would ensure the ULL version is booting in 240p (if that's what happens to be the problem).
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue May 17, 2016 5:55 am

From what I gather, it only work with the Framemeister in 480p.
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Tue May 17, 2016 4:01 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:The ULL version might be booting in 480p, as I asked Extrems about earlier. Try running a Gamecube game that supports progressive scan, then choose not to enable it. That would ensure the ULL version is booting in 240p (if that's what happens to be the problem).
Already tried this and it doesn't work. I heard PAL format GameCubes it does work, but not for my NTSC GameCube. I confirmed the issue on a friend's NTSC GameCube as well, so it seems to be a consistent problem for USA consoles with component output.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed May 18, 2016 2:59 am

• Added rumble to GBA-as-GC controller, requires Drill Dozer or WarioWare: Twisted! cartridge.
  • Improved Game Boy Player driver.
  • Fixed WaveBird Controllers?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed May 18, 2016 3:49 am

Sounds like a really interesting feature Extrems, gives the best of both worlds for games like Superstar Saga that have rumble support, letting you use a nice D-Pad and still get the extra rumble.

Do the low-lag versions still not support rumble since the game doesn't think it's in a Gameboy Player? Or was that implemented in a past version I've missed?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed May 18, 2016 3:57 am

It's still not yet supported, and it won't be enabled by default.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:22 am

Thanks for the clarification, perfectly understandable given they're the sort of experimental versions anyway.
PrinnyTonic

Post by PrinnyTonic » Sun May 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey guys.

I want to us GBI for speedrunning since it features the least amount of inout lag of all console gameboy players. Currently I am using a frame meister to capture and stream my footage via hdmi.

After fooling around with the tool I have some questions:

* Which resolution do the different version (GBI, LL, ULL) usally start in if no further optimizations are made?
* If I want to start the DOLs of the GBI via Swiss to force 240p it always throws the error "invalid DOL". I tried switching to Slot A but no dice. Anyone an idea what's the problem here?

I am using the Datel SDML.

regards
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sun May 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Are you using component cables, which version were you trying to force 240p on, and do you have the .dcp file in the same folder as the .dol?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun May 22, 2016 11:21 pm

Invalid DOL = your Datel SDML reader is having read failures or the DOL files weren't copied properly. Try looking around here for the tape fix that some have applied to the SDML adapter to give the SD card better contact/connection to the board.
Tommiiee

Post by Tommiiee » Mon May 23, 2016 2:33 am

Stumbled upon this thread when trying to find an affordable way to play Zelda: Link to The Past on my GameCube, and was wondering if this disc would work with a used Game Boy Player base, and if anyone would be interested in selling me a disc? If thats allowed on these forums?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:53 am

Why would the Gameboy Player being used or not matter?

Selling a disc would at best be morally reprehensible since the software is offered for free, and at worst be outright illegal if Extrems has any sort of GNU license on it. Besides, you still wouldn't be able to load the disc anyway.

Go buy an SD Media Launcher if you want a simple solution to running this.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon May 23, 2016 4:30 am

There's nothing illegal about selling GNU licensed software.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon May 23, 2016 4:40 am

Huh, I thought certain license versions were.

Anyway there's no need to buy a disc that would be exactly the same as one you burned yourself and doesn't run anyway.
PrinnyTonic

Post by PrinnyTonic » Mon May 23, 2016 7:41 am

emu_kidid wrote:Invalid DOL = your Datel SDML reader is having read failures or the DOL files weren't copied properly. Try looking around here for the tape fix that some have applied to the SDML adapter to give the SD card better contact/connection to the board.
Interesting. But I am able to start all those DOLs if I am not going through Swiss. :/

Still gonna try that, tho.