Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Artemio

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Artemio » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:51 pm

Diminuendo wrote:I dunno, I don't have framemiester kinds of money

just letting Extrems know either way

BTW RetroRGB, on your Gameboy Player page you talk about "16:9 widescreen support (perfect for GBA games)" can you please tell me how to enable widescreen?
I believe you should use the gbi.dol version instead then, targeted for lcds, so that you don't have the frame rate conversion issues.
RetroRGB

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by RetroRGB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:11 pm

Right...and I think you need component video cables running in 480p. I could be wrong though.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:46 pm

I am using the latest gbi .dol, with component cables
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:22 pm

If you're using an LCD use the regular version, not the ultra-low-lag as you mentioned earlier. It's really unlikely your LCD is playing nicely with the off-spec refresh rate.

Also the low lag versions don't have any image scaling, so you can't get the blown up widescreen (I think) you're looking for. Since you mentioned earlier the ULL version had tearing, are you sure you're on the regular version?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31 pm

for gods sake...

Yes, I am capable of decerning the very clearly marked file names. My LCD is handeling 4:3 GBI scaled to 2.375x, which is not available in the ll and ull versions at all, perfectly fine.

I just want to know how to toggle between 4:3 mode and 16:9 mode. No-where in this thread is instruction of how to that mentioned, just that it's a feature. Is it a button press? A config file on the SD Gecko? do I need to hold B on startup?
RetroRGB

Post by RetroRGB » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 pm

Diminuendo wrote:I just want to know how to toggle between 4:3 mode and 16:9 mode. No-where in this thread is instruction of how to that mentioned, just that it's a feature.
I know it's frustrating and we're all trying to help. Also, you can't "toggle", as there isn't a setting for it.

Extrems, I know you got annoyed the last time I suggested this, but booting to a GUI would be really helpful. Also, you'd only have to release one version at a time, since you'd be able to wrap the regular, LL, or ULL into one .dol and then choose which to launch right from the GUI. Please don't misinterpret this as complaining, we're all REALLY appreciative of the work you put into this...it really is a total game changer for people like me who want to play their old handheld games on a big screen.

Is a GUI something you'd consider working on? I'm sure anyone here who can help you with it will volunteer, myself included (as always).
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:49 pm

RetroRGB wrote:
Diminuendo wrote:I just want to know how to toggle between 4:3 mode and 16:9 mode. No-where in this thread is instruction of how to that mentioned, just that it's a feature.
I know it's frustrating and we're all trying to help. Also, you can't "toggle", as there isn't a setting for it.
Booting to 16:9 would also be great if someone can explain how to do it
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:55 pm

Try booting through Swiss and forcing widescreen? I take it the borders are much larger without the 16:9 mode enabled?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:56 pm

Swiss can't force video modes with .dol files
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:17 pm

Diminuendo wrote:for gods sake...

Yes, I am capable of decerning the very clearly marked file names. My LCD is handeling 4:3 GBI scaled to 2.375x, which is not available in the ll and ull versions at all, perfectly fine.

I just want to know how to toggle between 4:3 mode and 16:9 mode. No-where in this thread is instruction of how to that mentioned, just that it's a feature. Is it a button press? A config file on the SD Gecko? do I need to hold B on startup?
viewtopic.php?p=29932#p29932

This post. ^ You basically patch the DOL file to have the 16:9 argument. Its not too hard, let me know if you want some help on it.

Theres some way to run DOLs with arguments, but I dont know how. But that patching process works.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:21 pm

Sounds like a good job for Swiss. I'll see what I can do about it.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:40 pm

donhonk wrote: viewtopic.php?p=29932#p29932

This post. ^ You basically patch the DOL file to have the 16:9 argument. Its not too hard, let me know if you want some help on it.

Theres some way to run DOLs with arguments, but I dont know how. But that patching process works.
Thanks Donhonk, that gives me some direction.

I've never colated a .dol before so it looks like I have some figuring out to do.

I will probably take you up on your offer
justin9345

Post by justin9345 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Personally, my only complaint about the Game Boy Interface software is that I think colors are a bit too bright, way brighter than on an actual GameBoy Advance. I think an options menu or an overall fix to this would be nice. I think pixel wise, it's great, and it's much sharper than the regular GB Player software. I just think the colors are better on the official software. Maybe I have brightness way too high on my Framemeister/TV, I don't know.
Artemio

Post by Artemio » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:59 pm

You can use the 240p test suite to be sure about that.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:18 am

justin9345 wrote:Personally, my only complaint about the Game Boy Interface software is that I think colors are a bit too bright, way brighter than on an actual GameBoy Advance. I think an options menu or an overall fix to this would be nice. I think pixel wise, it's great, and it's much sharper than the regular GB Player software. I just think the colors are better on the official software. Maybe I have brightness way too high on my Framemeister/TV, I don't know.
Which version are you using? The regular one has color gamut processing that makes the colors look different compared to the low-lag versions. As a compromise, you might want to just use the regular boot disc but force 240p if you're on a CRT. If you're on an LCD, do the same but force 480p- the regular GBP disc may be adding a slight blur filter like the Wii supposedly does.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:11 pm

Alright, I submitted a patch to Swiss to allow passing arguments to a DOL, should make it easier for everyone.
justin9345

Post by justin9345 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:34 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:
justin9345 wrote:Personally, my only complaint about the Game Boy Interface software is that I think colors are a bit too bright, way brighter than on an actual GameBoy Advance. I think an options menu or an overall fix to this would be nice. I think pixel wise, it's great, and it's much sharper than the regular GB Player software. I just think the colors are better on the official software. Maybe I have brightness way too high on my Framemeister/TV, I don't know.
Which version are you using? The regular one has color gamut processing that makes the colors look different compared to the low-lag versions. As a compromise, you might want to just use the regular boot disc but force 240p if you're on a CRT. If you're on an LCD, do the same but force 480p- the regular GBP disc may be adding a slight blur filter like the Wii supposedly does.
I'm using the regular version. And for the forcing 480p, I don't have a GameCube component cable. At this point in time, there's no way I'm spending $250+ on an official cable. I'm perfectly good with my S-Video cable. I will say the LL version has much more authentic colors, but there's no scaling. Maybe I should just use the Framemeister's zoom feature until color options are implemented, like turning off color-gamut processing. But how do I force 240p on all versions?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:40 pm

I think 240p is the default if the component cable isn't plugged in.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:55 pm

The low latency versions look the same as PC emulators.
The standard version look close to a real DS, and close enough to a real GBA in daylight.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:54 pm

I didn't like the GBA colors on the DS, too saturated for me compared to the frontlit SP.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:30 pm

• Added rumble.
  • Added hold to quit.
Edit: A video bug slipped in if you downloaded within the first hour.
Smashbro29

Post by Smashbro29 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:32 pm

I was wondering what people's experiences were with component cables and Framemeister?

Also, what exactly do I need to run this? I never actually got into Gamecube modding or cheat codes or anything. I have a Gameboy Player, I have a disc. What's next?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:56 am

this is the only video I've seen with the framemiester
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maT2M68z3vk

To use this you need a method to boot .dol files; Swiss is usually the best option. to use swiss you need a way to run non-offical discs (like a XenoGC) or a drive replacement (WASP FUSION)
Artemio

Post by Artemio » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:02 am

You can also use an sd media launcher (sd card to gc memory card adapter + action replay). You place swiss renamed as autoboot.dol on the sd card and you are done.
blizzz

Post by blizzz » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:00 pm

The filename for SD Media Launcher has to be autoexec.dol, not autoboot. And you can boot directly into GBi without booting Swiss first.

Would it be possible to use a GBA as a controller like with the original GBP disc? I think this actually transfers a program to the GBA. So I'm not sure if this is something that can be done with Homebrew, but it would be really nice.