SDLoad (Slot A and B)

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
suloku

Re: SDLoad (Slot A and B)

Post by suloku » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:53 pm

I wanted to reformat my sdcard for sdloader for my own reasons and found that at somepoint sdpatch was ported to linux: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload#Pre ... om_Windows

Any chance we can still find that port?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:52 pm

I've attached it, it needs to be compiled. It's just from here, which was linked on http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload#Pre ... om_Windows (but now via archive.org).
Attachments
sdpatch.zip
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 793 times
suloku

Post by suloku » Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:05 am

Strange, I did try wayback machine...many thanks!
suloku

Post by suloku » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:07 pm

Just for future reference, in case someone wants to format the FAT16 SD card and patch it for SD loader:

Format SD card to FAT16: I'd recommend minitool partition wizard (freeware). Command line for linux (mkdosfs) and OSX (newfs_msdos).

Then we need to patch the SD card:

Method 1 (winXP): windows XP (or winXP in a virtual machine, like virtualbox) use sdpatch.exe
Method 2 (linux): under linux, use sdpatch linux port as documented here: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload#Pre ... NU.2FLinux
Method 3 (GC): if already able to run GC homebrew, use sdpatch.dol
Method 4 (Wii): Install the cMIOS "MIOSWiiGator0.2" (MIOS Patcher with base v10). Then use wiixplorer to run swiss as a gamecube homebrew. THEN you can use swiss to boot sdpatch.dol from SD Gecko (sdpatch.dol won't work if directly loaded trough wiixplorer, or at least it didn't for me).

I know this isn't very used anymore, but it may come handy for someone.

Just in case gclinux.org site gets down, the instructions for the linux sdpatch.exe port

Code: Select all

Preparing a SD card from GNU/Linux

This procedure assumes that /dev/sdcard is linked to the device node associated with your SD card reader (e.g. /dev/sd[abcdef] on PC or /dev/sdcard[ab] on GameCube Linux).

Format the SD card with a FAT16 filesystem (FAT12 and FAT32 are not supported).
Compile and run the GNU/Linux port of sdpatch (see above's emu_kidid's post).
Mount the filesystem and copy SDLOADER.BIN to the root directory.

For example:

cube# mkdosfs -F16 -nSDLoad /dev/sdcard
cube# gcc -Wall sdpatch.c -o sdpatch
cube# ./sdpatch /dev/sdcard

cube# mkdir -p /media/sdcard
cube# mount -t vfat /dev/sdcard /media/sdcard
cube# cp SDLOADER.BIN /media/sdcard
mj_judge

Post by mj_judge » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:26 pm

suloku wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:07 pm
Just for future reference, in case someone wants to format the FAT16 SD card and patch it for SD loader:

Format SD card to FAT16: I'd recommend minitool partition wizard (freeware). Command line for linux (mkdosfs) and OSX (newfs_msdos).

Then we need to patch the SD card:

Method 1 (winXP): windows XP (or winXP in a virtual machine, like virtualbox) use sdpatch.exe
Method 2 (linux): under linux, use sdpatch linux port as documented here: http://www.gc-linux.org/wiki/SDload#Pre ... NU.2FLinux
Method 3 (GC): if already able to run GC homebrew, use sdpatch.dol
Method 4 (Wii): Install the cMIOS "MIOSWiiGator0.2" (MIOS Patcher with base v10). Then use wiixplorer to run swiss as a gamecube homebrew. THEN you can use swiss to boot sdpatch.dol from SD Gecko (sdpatch.dol won't work if directly loaded trough wiixplorer, or at least it didn't for me).

I know this isn't very used anymore, but it may come handy for someone.

Just in case gclinux.org site gets down, the instructions for the linux sdpatch.exe port

Code: Select all

Preparing a SD card from GNU/Linux

This procedure assumes that /dev/sdcard is linked to the device node associated with your SD card reader (e.g. /dev/sd[abcdef] on PC or /dev/sdcard[ab] on GameCube Linux).

Format the SD card with a FAT16 filesystem (FAT12 and FAT32 are not supported).
Compile and run the GNU/Linux port of sdpatch (see above's emu_kidid's post).
Mount the filesystem and copy SDLOADER.BIN to the root directory.

For example:

cube# mkdosfs -F16 -nSDLoad /dev/sdcard
cube# gcc -Wall sdpatch.c -o sdpatch
cube# ./sdpatch /dev/sdcard

cube# mkdir -p /media/sdcard
cube# mount -t vfat /dev/sdcard /media/sdcard
cube# cp SDLOADER.BIN /media/sdcard
you can always just use the sdpatch tool I uploaded in the software section last year that has support for windows 7/10 too...

http://gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4540

instructions are included but also here too.

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=SD_load

saves the need for virtual machine or linux etc for users of modern windows OS
takanari

Post by takanari » Sun Jul 16, 2023 8:00 pm

Ikthias wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:08 pm
Hi i flashed this to my Qoob Pro and when i launch it, holding down A for slot B, it doesn't show anything except some weird jumbled symbol, and i cant do anything. Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Hi guys,

I'm facing the same issue here
When I try my generic SD adapter in slot B holding the A button it doesn't show anything except some weird symbols
On slot A it works fine
The SD card is using FAT format

Any ideas?

I can't save my game progress using the Memory Card in slot B.
Last edited by takanari on Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:50 pm

Is your SD card really non-HC? Is it Fat16 formatted?
Waiting for a better solution, you can still run SWISS from Slot A, then launch backups from Slot B or SP2 with memcard in Slot A as you'll have to swap sd cards anyways. :?
Don't forget to set it up correctly, so as not to write SWISS settings and patches on the Slot A SD.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
takanari

Post by takanari » Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:08 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:50 pm
Is your SD card really non-HC? Is it Fat16 formatted?
Waiting for a better solution, you can still run SWISS from Slot A, then launch backups from Slot B or S2P with memcard in Slot A as you'll have to swap sd cards anyways. :?
Don't forget to set it up correctly, so as not to write SWISS settings and patches on the Slot A SD.
Thanks for reply!

For sure, I've tested a bunch of no-HC SD cards FAT16 formatted, including a 512MB one, they only works on slot A.
Unfortunately, the console is a DOL-101.

Think I got it, Swiss is all loaded in memory, so I can swap the cards.

Anyway, I just discovered about the game exploids reading your previously replies and my Twilight Princess disc will save the day like you did.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it!