CleanRip and sysmenu 3.2 datel FreeLoader

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Aringon

CleanRip and sysmenu 3.2 datel FreeLoader

Post by Aringon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:27 am

Hello to everybody, I have an issue with a disc on CleanRip and I'm not quite sure of the exact problem.

The disc I am trying to make a dump of is "FreeLoader for Wii (USA)" this is a bit of a strange disc. I'm using the modified version of CleanRip meant to be used on datel discs, problem is, CleanRip auto detects it as a Wii disc, it is not. The disc is the same type as that used for a GameCube disc, so CleanRip can't really handle it properly when trying to dump it as a Wii disc. I need a version of CleanRip that will either detect the disc size properly, as it must be a 1.35gb disc, or manually let me select the option.

Another issue I'm having is that the Wii Firmware update 3.3 patched out the ability to use this disc, which may also be affecting the proper dumping of this disc. A preliminary attempt saw to progress being halted at 33%. After removal of the disc the "dump" continued to progress and a 4.37gb iso filled entirely with large blocks of 00s and 55s after the header was the result, this can not be correct. In addition to a new version of CleanRip for this disc, I may also need to downgrade the firmware on my Wii from 4.3 to 3.2. Could somebody walk me through the do's and don'ts of this? I'm not finding much online other than "Don't downgrade your Wii, there's no reason to". On the contrary this might be literally the only reason to. I would definitely try a new version of CleanRip that lets me manually select the disc size first, but if that's not enough I may have to go down this route as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.
Papy.G

Re: CleanRip and sysmenu 3.2 datel FreeLoader

Post by Papy.G » Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:40 pm

Why would you want to bother this much dumping a Freeloader disc?
I don't know of a Freeloader functionnality that SWISS doesn't have, and it has so much more that makes it way more desirable.
If you want to run off-zone ("Imported") GC games on your Wii, try the Gamesave exploit way, it doesn't need your Wii to be homebrew enabled, GCMM can be launched from the letterbomb exploit.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Aringon

Post by Aringon » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:56 pm

I'm not trying to dump it because I intend to use it. My Wiis already have region unlocked with priiloader.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:56 am

So I don't see what is the plot, the freeloader disc is useless if your Wiis are region unlocked, just use the Freeloader on your Game Cube. :?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Aringon

Post by Aringon » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:55 pm

I know the FreeLoader disc is functionally useless in this day and age and I'm not here asking if it makes sense to do this. I asked for advice on how to get this done, not to hear the same "there's no point, why bother?" speech the rest of the internet gives.

Can it be done or not? If it can, how?

Please help instead of questioning my motives pointlessly.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Ok, so let's say it is for the sake of conservation and educationnal purpose. ;)

Downgrading your Wii may not impact CleanRip's behavior.
Maybe if you try to dump it on a GC, it won't be mistaken for a Wii Disc?
SWISS has a built-in dumping utility, that proved to be quite useles for games, but may be of some use in this specific case…

Aringon

Post by Aringon » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:58 am

The FreeLoader disc won't mount in SWISS. It is, after all, a Wii disc in the header information.

Does SWISS only work with SD Cards? I can load it off a regular memory card thanks to GCMM, but I don't see a way to back up anything to the memory cards, it won't detect them. Since I've got it up, I may as well use it to backup my BIOS or something.

Also I'm hoping to actually see these old datel discs running again, that's part of the reason I want to downgrade a Wii. Would it be possible instead to use a cIOS to remove the blacklist that was added in sysmenu 3.3 and get them working again?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Guess what! CleanRip has just been updated!

"- Add Datel disc dumping support" 8-)

Aringon

Post by Aringon » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 am

it doesn't work for these. They error out almost immediately, these discs are undumped. Seems to work fine on my GameCube Action Replay though.

As I previously said these specific datel discs report as Wii discs despite being 8cm discs. I don't think datel support was added under the Wii disc section of the program.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:13 am

Aringon wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:05 am
it doesn't work for these. They error out almost immediately, these discs are undumped. Seems to work fine on my GameCube Action Replay though.

As I previously said these specific datel discs report as Wii discs despite being 8cm discs. I don't think datel support was added under the Wii disc section of the program.
It's a small change to add - make an issue on the github page and I can have a look or build you a custom branch.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:31 am

Many years later, I've bought one of these discs so I'll fix the issue as I've run into it too.