Cleanrip seems to have destroyed my memory stick

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Ecthelon

Cleanrip seems to have destroyed my memory stick

Post by Ecthelon » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:06 pm

Instructions on https://wii.guide/cleanrip.html

Attempted for Mario kart wii. Seemed to run fine and completed the rip supposedly. Closed out of cleanrip and went back to the homebrew wii menu. Surprised to discover that not only was the game not there, but skyward sword (which I had put onto the usb via wii backup manager earlier) was missing as well. Restarted the wii and now homebrew channel doesn't show any apps on the usb any more.

Upon trying the memory stick in a computer, it seems destroyed. The computer gives a "please insert a disk into USB drive (E:)" error when I plug it in. I can't even format it. Running chkdsk shows every single sector is bad (ETA for chkdsk was 400 hours and rising when I gave up).

Does anyone know what the hell could have gone wrong?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Cleanrip seems to have destroyed my memory stick

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:14 pm

Firstly, finally my disclaimer screen has paid off!

Jokes aside, perhaps that SD card was near the end of its life and putting it under the stress of writing several gigabytes sent it over the edge. What type/size was it? Perhaps it was never tested to its full capacity and it's one of those types that wraps a smaller size back to the first sector to claim it was actually a larger card?

Try something like SD formatter and see if that can detect it, it's possible that just the file system has become corrupted if you're lucky. Either way I'd use another SD card as it may happen again if it's happened once.
Ecthelon

Post by Ecthelon » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:03 pm

It was a USB flash drive rather than an SD card.

Brand new "SanDisk Ultra 128GB USB Flash Drive" so from a trusted company too.

Tried formatting it and other shenanigans but it's 100% totally dead I'm afraid. Even programs that can recognise something is plugged in will freeze when I tell them to try anything on it.
N7Kopper

Post by N7Kopper » Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:38 pm

Ecthelon wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:03 pm
It was a USB flash drive rather than an SD card.

Brand new "SanDisk Ultra 128GB USB Flash Drive" so from a trusted company too.

Tried formatting it and other shenanigans but it's 100% totally dead I'm afraid. Even programs that can recognise something is plugged in will freeze when I tell them to try anything on it.
Return it if you haven't already. It might well just have been awful luck.