iplboot

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
novenary

iplboot

Post by novenary » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:37 am

I realized that there wasn't an official forum thread for iplboot, let's fix that.

iplboot is a minimal, but reasonably featureful bootloader for the GameCube. It is meant to be used as the BIOS on most IPL replacement modchips, or as a chainloader for savegame exploits.
iplboot currently supports the Qoob and ViperGC families, ships with PicoBoot by default, and boot.gci files are provided for savegame exploit users. It can load homebrew from SD card (memory card adapter or SD2SP2) and USB Gecko.
Detailed usage instructions, source code and binaries are available on GitHub.

I've just published r8, which brings the binary size back in check and restores support for ViperGC and Qoob SX, both of which have less flash than their higher end counterparts, which makes them harder to support. Testing would be appreciated as I don't have access to a GC that can run homebrew currently.
Papy.G

Re: iplboot

Post by Papy.G » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:50 am

I'm afraid many people would've had time to test it and report before I do. If it's not, I'll try my best to find a moment to do it myself.

Do you know if there's any technical reason for nobody integrating Ipl boot straight into game save exploits?
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:11 am

My guess would be size constraints. iplboot (compressed) is 7-8 blocks which is larger than average for a save. Also it's easier to manage an updatable second stage separately from the primary exploit payload. Plus it's shared code that can be used with multiple different games.
Daipop

Post by Daipop » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:02 am

I have the qoob SX and will try r8 soon. I'll report my findings, thanks and cheers for this development!
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:56 pm

Does anyone still hang out here?

I've released r9 today. https://github.com/redolution/iplboot/releases/tag/r9
This finally brings all modchips up to date, testing would be much appreciated! I've only personally confirmed it to work on PicoBoot, so I'd like feedback on Qoob (Pro and SX are different, both need testing), Viper (both versions are identical) and the memory card save file.
sakax

Post by sakax » Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:58 pm

Yes, was waiting on r9, will test next week with vipergc extreme and as boot.dol with savegame exploits. 3 weeks holiday as from next week :) thanks a lot!
DOL-001-PAL - GCVideo3.1 - powered by shinehax & swiss