libogc2 networking functionality

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
capzlk

libogc2 networking functionality

Post by capzlk » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:13 pm

I've more or less started looking into libogc2 recently and it looks like it supports a few more networking apis than the original. i noticed for tinysmb it seems to have some dns lookup functionality, but i couldnt find much in terms of documentation. i'm looking to build an http client for the gamecube, and it seems like it should be possible. I've got a very rudimentary up dns client that appears to be working using libogc, but i'd rather not reinvent the wheel. so.. can anyone shed some light on the status and even better, some solid documentation for the libogc2 network stack and capabilities (and limitations)?

I'd send extrems a DM but these kind of things are probably better off publicly visible so we can all share and benefit.

i'd almost say net_gethostbyname is implemented on gc in libogc2, judging by the commits i've seen for tinysmb. is this true or does tinysmb not support gamecube?
Extrems

Re: libogc2 networking functionality

Post by Extrems » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:20 pm

tinysmb does not support DNS lookup on GameCube.

A new port of lwIP is on the roadmap.
capzlk

Post by capzlk » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

thanks for clearing that up, ill continue work on my own dns lookup then
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 pm

EXTREME IS TO BE MODEST.

:mrgreen:
together with the
The NGC picoboot GUYS opened a new data lan line through serial port 2.
This really fulfills the purposes of serial port 2.!!!
ETH2GC is the new data path on NGC.
Developing a browser for NGC would be a benefit to the NGC community; which lacks writers. !
:idea: :geek: SWISS USER :geek: :idea:
DEBUG IS NECESSARY :arrow: :ugeek:
capzlk

Post by capzlk » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:47 am

Diego borella wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 pm
EXTREME IS TO BE MODEST.

:mrgreen:
together with the
The NGC picoboot GUYS opened a new data lan line through serial port 2.
This really fulfills the purposes of serial port 2.!!!
ETH2GC is the new data path on NGC.
Developing a browser for NGC would be a benefit to the NGC community; which lacks writers. !
while I agree it's a welcome development. I personally have two BBAs and they are functionally equivalent to the eth2gc so not much benefit to me. the gamecube does however stand to benefit significantly if we can do something about it's subpar networking capabilities. it's not that the hardware can't do it either, just that the original (nintendo) sdk used a networking library that we've never bothered (for some reason) to fully implement in libogc. I've bothered wintermute about this several times but he just doesnt seem to care much. For people who are not experts at networked software dev using bare bsd sockets, this is challenging to overcome so nobody has done it. Networking is difficult enough as it is even with a properly functioning socket/network stack, but we only have have a network stack. So yeah.

anyhow i dont have much time either, but am attempting to have a go at it. somehow the code that works for me in dolphin doesn't work on real hardware so i'm hoping to get a shuriken off webHDX when he has some in stock again so that debugging is a bit easier. I hear that this will be soon.