Memory Card Tools

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Memory Card Tools

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:39 pm

if you have a BBA ctr-gcs might let you get a raw dump. or ctr-gcs which was re-written for Wii to do similar could do the trick. You'd then have to manually go through the raw dump and find the individual save files...
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Ah yeah nice I got a BBA, I will try it out. But the wii version sounds better.
I'll use that soon: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Ctr-Gcs-DacoTaco-Edition
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:17 pm

Yes the Wii version is very good for dumping a Memory Card image, but I couldn't get it to restore from a Memory Card dump. It may be able to restore game save files though (I didn't try it).
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:10 pm

Okay I tried Ctr-Gcs-DacoTaco-Edition, but no luck...
It says "memory card corrupt!!!" and asks to format the card...
Swiss r124 does not support the BBA right? I'll just wait for the next release as an .iso file...
suloku

Post by suloku » Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:41 pm

Hi, here's softdev's sdmc reuploaded, it would be a pity if it got lost.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4o71awtcxen382u

I think this can be booted from wii mode via diosmios... I'm not sure, but it is certainly the best alternative for not using ctr-gcs.

By the way, tueidj reversed the DSP code for memory card unlocking and published a modified ctr-gcs dacotaco edition 0.2b. I grabbed it and ported to gamecube mode (with some aditional changes, like being able to write the block 1 from one card to another, which makes flashid copy protected savegames work on unoficial cards).

Here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?dq6p8z4k64tzpms

Anyway restoring to oficial memory cards still corrupt the cards, EVEN in gamecube mode. Actually, a zeroed raw image gets correctly written...
I read that you can write to the first 5 blocks, but then you can't write to the remaining ones... I'm thinking of writing first block 6 onwards and then block 1 to 5, maybe that makes the trick.

Any help on this matter would be apreciated, I'd really like to have raw backup/restore suport on wii mode. It's a pity softdev's app never got its source released (I think it was intended as a libogc example).

EDIT:
I've been trying the following

Format card
Make dump
Modify that dump and zero all from block 6 onwards
Recover the zeroed dump -> this is written correctly to the card
Write ONLY block 6 onwards
There's never a dump there's always zeroes...

EDIT3: by the way, can original ctr-gcs over BBA work with a router or must be a direct connection GC-computer?
stomp_442

Post by stomp_442 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:18 pm

GCMM has received numerous updates in the last few weeks.

View the changes and download
https://code.google.com/p/gcmm/
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:57 pm

stomp_442 wrote:GCMM has received numerous updates in the last few weeks.

View the changes and download
https://code.google.com/p/gcmm/
Thank you, this is much easier to use

Thank you suloku :)

I only used ctr-gcs with a crossover cable, because my router is not in my room
suloku

Post by suloku » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:34 am

HomelandReloaded wrote:Thanks emu_kidid, that helps. I have spent some time experimenting with writing to the Memory Card and verifying the results, and it does appear that I am fighting with the OS when it comes to writing (reading always works). The effect I am getting is that I am allowed to write to the first 5 blocks but the system keeps control over the checksums and the update counter. I seem to be completely prevented from writing to any of the data blocks (6 onwards).

I think I'll try doing a version for the GameCube and then maybe come back to the Wii when I have learned a bit more about the system.
Just for the record, a sector needs to be erased prior to writing it, because the write function actually clears bits instead of setting them, that's why sector needs to be erased (well, it doens't erase but sets all bits, or sets all to 0xFF, which is the same).

BTW, daco-taco only borrowed the name, his ctr-gcs has nothing to do with the original one.

Also Emu_kidid, GCMM has a Card_GetSerial function (poorly written, but works) which is missing in libogc... not that it has many uses though.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I like the banner inclusion, makes saves with wierd names easier to find. All we are really missing is the restoration of protected games on different memory cards. I did see that F-Zero GX is possible to restore, maybe others too
bm123456

Post by bm123456 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:45 am

GCMM 1.3 has been released (protected games saves are automatically fixed)
http://gcmm.googlecode.com/files/gcmm_1.3.rar (wii and GC version)
change log
[What's New 1.3 - september 14, 2012 - By suloku]

Shows card/image serial number in Raw Restore Mode
F-zero and Phantasy Star Online Ep I&II and Phantasy Star Online III savegames are patched uppon restoring so they will work on target card (by Ralf)

Lot's of thanks to Ralf at gscentral.org forums http://board.gscentral.org/retro-hackin ... post188949
GCMM google page if you like to read on the improvements :)
http://code.google.com/p/gcmm/

Thank you suloku :)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:53 am

very nice work! :D
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:49 am

Amazing :) I will test my PSO, F-Zero GX and hopefully Fire Emblem saves
suloku

Post by suloku » Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:42 am

AC_Orange wrote:and hopefully Fire Emblem saves
Isn't Fire Emblem a permission protected savegame? Shouldn't it work fine as long as you don't use the system IPL to transfer the savegame? I never had the game (I think it wasn't released in my region either), so I couln't test.

I remember someone mentioning savegames being protected using the block number where the savegame is stored, but no one has complained... it shouldn't be difficult to add support for that kind of games though, but I don't know if they really exist, and I doubt it, since I don't think nintendo had in its sdk a way for game developers to check where in the card was their savegame stored.

By the way, I'm looking for PSO/F-zero japanesse savegames (as I can't get the games), if some one has any pm me with them or even better, test if they can be transfered with GCMM 1.3.

Oh, and there's a bug in icon showing in 1.3 (luigi's mansion icon for example doesn't show cause the number of icons isn't correctly retrieved). It will be fixed in 1.3a... alongside animated icons (but don't expect a release till 2 weeks or so at least).
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:01 am

Good point, for some reason I remember I couldn't copy the Fire Emblem save but maybe it was movable to another memory card. Will have to have a look. As far as I know FE was released in America and Europe as well as Japan

I have a Japanese F-Zero GX but my PAL cube can't display the fonts properly :/
suloku

Post by suloku » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:01 pm

GCMM 1.4 is out (icon animation and restore all are the most relevant features)

AC_Orange, I've sent you a pm regarding f-zero savegame.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:57 pm

I finally found the time to raw dump my broken memory card with GCMM 1.4 :)
What can I do next to extract the individual save games?
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:57 am

andzlay wrote:I finally found the time to raw dump my broken memory card with GCMM 1.4 :)
Dolphin emulator can read the rawdumps and export the saves
infact

Post by infact » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:58 am

Dragoon wrote:
andzlay wrote:I finally found the time to raw dump my broken memory card with GCMM 1.4 :)
Dolphin emulator can read the rawdumps and export the saves
If it fails, because of the broken filesystem, you can try extracting them manually (hexeditor ftw.)
infact
Image Image
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Ah yes, also does anyone know how to get my chao data accepted?
My memory card got corrupted a while ago, but now the game won't accept the save.
Anyone has an idea to get past the protection?
suloku

Post by suloku » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:17 pm

I don't know about the chao data, maybe it is linked to the main savegame or the data itself is corrupted.

For the corrupted memory card and dolphin, try (with a copy of the raw image) to load it with dolphin and use the right mouse button to select "fix checksums" and see if this enables you to extract the saves.
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:18 pm

suloku wrote:I don't know about the chao data, maybe it is linked to the main savegame or the data itself is corrupted.

For the corrupted memory card and dolphin, try (with a copy of the raw image) to load it with dolphin and use the right mouse button to select "fix checksums" and see if this enables you to extract the saves.
It's not corrupted, it seems to be crc protected.
suloku

Post by suloku » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:36 pm

Dragoon wrote:
suloku wrote:I don't know about the chao data, maybe it is linked to the main savegame or the data itself is corrupted.

Is chao data linked somehow to a main savegame file or is it independent?

If the game doesn't accept the save it's because it is corrupted, if you need to recalculate the hash for the game to accept it its because it corrupted.
If you want to recalculate the savegame hash to make the game load it (accepting it may do it wrong cause it is corrupted) that's another matter.

If you hex edited the chao data in some way that'd explain why the game doesn't accept the save too.

The checksum seems to be near the end of the file, it's an 8 byte checksum, but no clue about how it's generated
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:15 pm

suloku wrote:
Dragoon wrote:

Is chao data linked somehow to a main savegame file or is it independent?

If the game doesn't accept the save it's because it is corrupted, if you need to recalculate the hash for the game to accept it its because it corrupted.
If you want to recalculate the savegame hash to make the game load it (accepting it may do it wrong cause it is corrupted) that's another matter.

If you hex edited the chao data in some way that'd explain why the game doesn't accept the save too.

The checksum seems to be near the end of the file, it's an 8 byte checksum, but no clue about how it's generated
Thanks for your info, how did you find this?
And no the chao data is not savegame linked.
Dr.Wily

Post by Dr.Wily » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 am

Does anyone here know a tool to fix corrupted saves data on PSO ep1&2 ?
GizmoTheGreen

Post by GizmoTheGreen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 am

is there any effort in recompiling old homebrew that are opensource?

looking at this thread, GCMM with fatfs so we can have exfat support would be handy. solved temporarily with a spare 2gb microsd I had that I left on fat32. porting it to fatfs probably involves a little effort though, I'm aware.
currently it doesn't seem the source compiles as is P: