Animal Crossing NTSC - "Where the game thinks a villager lives" Modifiers!

Game Hacks, Trainers, Cheats

Moderator: Ralf@gc-forever

teconmoon

Animal Crossing NTSC - "Where the game thinks a villager lives" Modifiers!

Post by teconmoon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Irrelevant back-story to why I tried to hack these codes, see Post 2 for actual codes.

Code: Select all

Hi all! Been lurking on GC-Forever for a while randomly posting here and there, just wanted to ask if anyone had any Animal Crossing hacking expertise?

I've been trying to design my own little village, which has proven to be fun so far! Basically using the giant old Animal Crossing Hacking playbook by "bowsersenemy" found here: http://www.supercheats.com/gamecube/walkthroughs/animalcrossing-walkthrough19.txt

Using this guide mixed with RAM editing in Dolphin Debug to find values and test things before making codes, I've been making pretty good progress towards my ideal town :D

I've put together my town acres and have basically been going through and curating each acre with item codes as necessary using a duplicate save file so that when I'm done, I can just load my save file with the codes turned on, save and quit, and have a hackless town from that point forward!

Here's where I'm running into trouble: When I went through building acres, some of the villagers houses are located in slightly inconvenient places. Moving signs is no problem, but when I try to move a villager's actual house, two problems happen.

First, reading the sign on their house says a glitch name instead of the villager's actual name. Second, even after you move the house, the villager still thinks they live where their old house used to be! In the map attached, in acre C5, Cookie's house is in the pond. When I move her house out of the pond, when she tries to go home, she still just tries walking towards her old house location. Entering the house when it's in its new location doesn't cause a crash, so that's good at least.

This is the code I'm using right now to move the house:
0327B8F6 00000000 - Removes the house from its old location
0327B936 000050D7 - Adds Cookie's house to the new location
0327B914 00000000 - Removes the sign board item (when you read who's house you're at) from its old location (In ram it just shows as F11F, when I tried using F11F in my code the actual item ID A012 was revealed in ram)
0327B954 0000A012 - Adds sign board item back to where it should be on the new house (Using A012 gets a glitched sign, F11F gets no sign)

Editing these changes into ram instead of using cheats produced the same results, I imagine where the game thinks the villager lives is stored elsewhere, which is why the sign is glitchy and Cookie doesn't know where she lives

I've attached the current map of my town as well as some Dolphin screenshots. Information on hacking GC Animal Crossing apart from the guide I linked seems scarce, so hopefully someone will come along with some brilliant suggestion! Thanks for reading!

[attachment=0]NewMap.png[/attachment]
[attachment=1]GAFE01-4.png[/attachment]
Attachments
NewMap.png
(196.33 KiB) Not downloaded yet
GAFE01-4.png
(277.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by teconmoon on Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
teconmoon

Re: Animal Crossing - Moving a villager's existing house?

Post by teconmoon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:05 am

Alright, after much debugging, trial and error, blood sweat and tears, I give you...

"Where the game thinks a villager lives" Modifiers!!

The values stored for each villager affect a lot of things. This decides where the villager spawns when you load the game if they're at home, where the house gets placed on the map, and what name shows up when you try to read their door.

Villager 01: 0527E0D1 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 02: 0527EA59 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 03: 0527F3E1 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 04: 0527FD69 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 05: 052806F1 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 06: 05281079 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 07: 05281A01 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 08: 05282389 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 09: 05282D11 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 10: 05283699 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 11: 05284021 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 12: 052849A9 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 13: 05285331 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 14: 05285CB9 WWXXYYZZ
Villager 15: 05286641 WWXXYYZZ

WW = Acre Offset X
XX = Acre Offset Y
YY = Inside Acre X
ZZ = Inside Acre Y

Example: For a villager who lives in Acre C-5, WWXX would be 0503. Looking at the basic acre map that would be 5 across and 3 down, landing us right at Acre C-5.

YYZZ needs to specify correctly where the Villager's house is placed within the Acre, otherwise the Villager can't return home and the sign on their house will be corrupted (random irrelevant side note, the item number for the board you're reading is A012). For calculating YYZZ for where things get placed within the acre, we can partially rely on BowsersEnemy guide. If we used his acre item placement map and decided the house needs to be placed at location B-8, the value for that would actually be 080B. (This is because B is for the Y Axis, and 8 is for the X Axis, but the game expects the value for the X Axis to come first) The villager's "living location" needs to be directly to the left of where the house is placed, so in this case, YYZZ would be 070B. If you care enough to give the villager a readable sign-post, you'd place A012 at location C-7.

So for any given house setup, you'd first place the house, set the "living location" to the left of that, and the signpost A012 directly beneath that. In the example we used above:

House: B-8
Living Location: B-7 (070B)
Sign: C-7

Anyways this is wildly incomplete, and I will likely put together a full "moving your existing villager" guide in the future.

Enjoy!
rayman

Re: Animal Crossing NTSC - "Where the game thinks a villager lives" Modifiers!

Post by rayman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:50 am

Cool stuff. I'm a big AC fan so thanks for contributing to knowledge about the game.
teconmoon

Re: Animal Crossing NTSC - "Where the game thinks a villager lives" Modifiers!

Post by teconmoon » Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:07 pm

rayman wrote:Cool stuff. I'm a big AC fan so thanks for contributing to knowledge about the game.
Thanks, here's a more in-depth write-up I posted over at GBAtemp :D - https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-mo ... sc.445747/

Edit: More of a tutorial than a write-up I suppose