Metroid Prime widescreen HUD hack

Game Hacks, Trainers, Cheats

Moderator: Ralf@gc-forever

patters

Metroid Prime widescreen HUD hack

Post by patters » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Hi all,

I followed the elaborate instructions for the Metroid Prime Widescreen HUD hack which is posted on the Dolphin emulator wiki. Apparently this hack was nearly lost completely and fortunately someone had a copy and re-uploaded. It's quite tricky to do though, so I decided to create an xdelta patch for it to make it easier. In the interest of keeping up with the times, it patches 'Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso' from the NKit Redump set. It must be that specific version of the game. I also included the frustrum culling fix mentioned in the readme. I made the patch with with xdelta3. Put this in the same folder as the patch file and the game NKit and run:

Code: Select all

xdelta3 decode "Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso.HUD mod.xdelta"
To use this on real hardware, use Swiss to force 16:9 widescreen and boot the patched NKit.
I have attached the original hack distribution too so it's clear that I'm not claiming any credit. I'm just making the installation a lot easier (and possible without a Windows PC).

Enjoy!
Attachments
MetroidPrimeWidescreen.rar
(160.12 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times
Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso.HUD mod.xdelta.zip
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 1251 times
lateralest

Re: Metroid Prime widescreen HUD hack

Post by lateralest » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:37 pm

Hi, my name is José. Sorry to bother you, but I am really interested in playing prime in proper wide-screen. Sadly, I do not understand a thing about this stuff. Is there a guide somewhere, step by step, to implement what you are kindly sharing here? Thanks in advance.
plegenda

Post by plegenda » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:23 pm

for anyone newbie like me that stumble upon this thread the future:

This is a simple patch in [xdelta3] format, to apply it you are gonna need:
  • -The game (notes: 1. it needs to be in .nkit.iso container / 2. I have succesfully patched the 1.0 revision of the game, havent tested 1.1 or 1.2, could work as well maybe)
  • -the patch (notes: its up there, the one called "Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso.HUD mod.xdelta.zip", you might get confused because there is also a "MetroidPrimeWidescreen.rar" up there. Patters only included it to give credit to the original mod creator, you do not need this file)
  • -a patcher software (notes: I used "Delta Patcher" by Sadnes City Translations. http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/704/ ) (I tried xdelta UI before and it didnt work. apparently this one is good for xdelta patches. Patter's patch is xdelta3)
Instructions:
  • 1. unzip pattter's Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso.HUD mod.xdelta.zip
  • 2. open Delta Patcher
  • 3. in "Original File" place your Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso game file
  • 4. in "xDelta Patch" place patter's "Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso.HUD mod.xdelta"
  • 5. hit "Apply Patch" and enjoy
In Dolphin (im using 5.0-15445, latest version in my time):
  • -Graphics > General > Aspect Ratio "Force 16:9"
  • -Graphics > Enhancements > click the checkbox that says "Widescreen Hack"
starlightbotanist

Post by starlightbotanist » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:41 am

Thanks for sharing this with everyone. For the sake of documentation, do you have the crc32 of the correct unpatched rom?
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:30 am

Sure, here you go:

Metroid Prime (USA).iso - CRC: 852B658C MD5: EEACD0CED8E2BAE491ECA14F141A4B7C
Metroid Prime (USA).nkit.iso - CRC: 852B658C MD5: E2F9DFB9F92E5A56BECE743AEF1A1C52
kesterstudios

Post by kesterstudios » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:51 am

Just tried the patch. It works flawlessly. Thanks for your hard work.

I'm hoping someday Prime 2 gets a similar widescreen HUD hack as well as a better widescreen code that works like the Prime 1 code where culling isnt removed entirely so game performance doesnt lag.