GCN Crypt Issue: Action Replay Max Rejects Encrypted Codes but Not Dolphin

Game Hacks, Trainers, Cheats

Moderator: Ralf@gc-forever

Endopellet

GCN Crypt Issue: Action Replay Max Rejects Encrypted Codes but Not Dolphin

Post by Endopellet » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:12 am

Throughout the past few weeks, I was testing codes for Super Smash Bros. Melee (V 1.02) on Dolphin just to see whether these codes work or not. However, I often encrypt the codes that are already decrypted and then copy and paste them onto the Action Replay list: just to see if Dolphin can read them like how Action Replay usually reads them. Some codes I found are already decrypted with the 16 digit code because they can be edited easily by changing a few digits. Unfortunately, the physical copy of Action Replay MAX cannot read decrypted codes, so I have to re-encrypt them using GCN Crypt.

I re-encrypted all of the codes and pasted them into Dolphin: Dolphin was able to read them, and they all worked! But when I attempted to use the same codes on console, they didn’t work! GCN Crypt is weird because when you attempt to encrypt a hexadecimal code, there is always an extra line of code (That is random every time I press Encrypt) added into the encryption. Pasting the encrypted code onto Dolphin will remove that extra code when confirmed.

When I attempted to add these codes into Action Replay Max, I’ve made four different attempts each!
  • First thing I did was to leave out the extra code: it gave me this error (Warning! Data is invalid)
  • Second was adding the extra code in “in the order shown when I encrypted”: it instead gave me this error (Code is for a different game)
  • Third was adding the extra code at the bottom rather than the top: it gave me this error (Warning! Data is invalid)
  • Finally, I tried to use the first code from a working Action Replay code instead of the extra code given to me: same error (Warning! Data is invalid)
I have no idea what I’m doing wrong. Both my versions of Smash (Physical and ROM) are NTSC 1.02, yet these codes are only applicable with Dolphin. I’ll share some of my codes I tried applying into my Action Replay Max:

Replace Peach’s Toad with Fan
F856-V0HK-WMZ5J
RJDX-0FHU-1NM47

Replace Peach’s Toad with Yoshi’s Up-B projectile
UK7D-G43A-7JBWZ
9NR1-RN9Z-0GBNP

Replace Toad’s Spores with Normal Eggs
3AH0-VR0K-UZRJB
B78E-R3UC-HP4MG

Replace Turnips with Yoshi’s Egg
NXX6-RU5V-X5T3Z
0DH4-NE0T-Z3VZP

Replace Ray Gun Beam with Chikorita
4XFF-BH08-XP33X
EZM3-TE0Z-BCRMJ

[TL;DR] Is there any reason why these codes above that were re-encrypted by GCN Crypt is applicable on Dolphin but Action Replay Max outright rejects it?
Ralf@gc-forever

Re: GCN Crypt Issue: Action Replay Max Rejects Encrypted Codes but Not Dolphin

Post by Ralf@gc-forever » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:09 am

The first line of an encrypted AR code must be a "verifier" line. It contains the game ID (000-7FF), the game region (USA, PAL, Japan), the code number, a flag field and a checksum field. Encrypted AR codes without valid verifier line will not work on real Action Replay!

GCNcrypt will automatically add a new generated verifier line to a code with enabled "Auto Identifier" option, depending on the selected game ID and region (useable for raw AR codes w/o verifier line). The Auto Identifier option must be disabled for all decrypted AR codes that already have a verifier line, otherwise GCNcrypt will add a second verifier line.

However, your code examples are just encrypted with a wrong game ID (000 instead of 0E2).

Code: Select all

NTSC-U Super Smash Bros. Melee Version 1.02

GameID: 0E2
Region: USA
Auto Identifier: ON

Raw AR codes (w/o verifier line)

Replace Peach's Toad with Fan
0411E1C8 38C00018

Replace Peach's Toad with Yoshi's Up-B projectile
0411E1C8 38C00056

Replace Toad's Spores with Normal Eggs
0411E278 38A00003

Replace Turnips with Yoshi's Egg
0411D0A4 38C0002A

04298170 380000A2

Encrypted AR codes (w/ verifier line)

Replace Peach's Toad with Fan
32EU-BWYD-WQG2Z
RJDX-0FHU-1NM47

Replace Peach's Toad with Yoshi's Up-B projectile
3C1A-X0U0-BXHD0
9NR1-RN9Z-0GBNP

Replace Toad's Spores with Normal Eggs
WPKY-Y1MT-J1944
B78E-R3UC-HP4MG

Replace Turnips with Yoshi's Egg
F8QG-T7RR-G1KXD
0DH4-NE0T-Z3VZP

EVE8-47MY-GT5H2
EZM3-TE0Z-BCRMJ

Endopellet

Re: GCN Crypt Issue: Action Replay Max Rejects Encrypted Codes but Not Dolphin

Post by Endopellet » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:47 pm

Ralf@gc-forever wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:09 am
The first line of an encrypted AR code must be a "verifier" line. It contains the game ID (000-7FF), the game region (USA, PAL, Japan), the code number, a flag field and a checksum field. Encrypted AR codes without valid verifier line will not work on real Action Replay!

GCNcrypt will automatically add a new generated verifier line to a code with enabled "Auto Identifier" option, depending on the selected game ID and region (useable for raw AR codes w/o verifier line). The Auto Identifier option must be disabled for all decrypted AR codes that already have a verifier line, otherwise GCNcrypt will add a second verifier line.

However, your code examples are just encrypted with a wrong game ID (000 instead of 0E2).
Thank you, you beautiful man!! :D
I had an itching feeling that 3-digit code meant something!

But how exactly would you find the ID in a game?
*Scratch that!* I got it! I think you can use the Auto-identifier and decrypting an AR code will get you the ID as well!

So, “0E2” is NTSC Smash 1.02! Well, that’s one problem cleared! Now, I have to dive deeper: to see what manually hacking Melee has to offer! Like, converting manual hexadecimal alterations into Action Replay codes for the sake of individual animation swapping, model swapping, and what not.

But thanks again for your help, Ralf! This is really getting me amped for ROM modding and Action Replay code creation!