Swiss legality in UK

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
Nimbusgale

Swiss legality in UK

Post by Nimbusgale » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the legality of Swiss in the UK? The reason I ask is I know R4 cards for the DS were banned in 2010 and I am wondering if the precedent from that case would extend to Swiss, as Swiss would theoretically allow game rips and piracy on the GameCube. I'm desperate to play cube games in forced widescreen but not if it means Swiss isn't allowed over here. I am asking for the objective facts about legality. I know that there won't be swat teams knocking on the door or anything but it's important for me to know.
andzlay

Re: Swiss legality in UK

Post by andzlay » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:01 pm

LOL
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:38 pm

maybe you are asking about sd adapter
Nimbusgale

Post by Nimbusgale » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:56 pm

I'm not worried about the SD adapter. It's sold by an established UK retailer and doesn't by itself have the security bypassing nature that the R4 cards have (at least I don't think). However with an application like Swiss (which looks awesome by the way) some of its features may fall foul of the UK's incredibly restrictive copyright legislation (it's still illegal here to rip CDs you own to your PC because of music industry lobbyists getting the high court to overturn government attempts to modernise legislation). I'm not actually interested in ripping games or booting them from SD card, I just want to force 480p/widescreen on my GameCube discs. I know the results may vary game to game but it's something I'd like to try, but want clarity on the legal issues as Swiss technically could fall foul of UK law (although not US/other countries) because it enables disc ripping to PC (but then again so does iTunes), but CDs don't have copy protection on them unlike GameCube discs, whose warped nature could be interpreted as a copy protection measure which it would be illegal over here to circumvent.
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:29 pm

who cares, nobody will know
Nimbusgale

Post by Nimbusgale » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:38 pm

I know nobody will know, but I'm also doing a little research on these things anyway to better understand UK law so if anybody has any wisdom it would be appreciated.
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:43 pm

If you want to be super safe then don't use it.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:23 pm

If you want to be safe just edit the source code to remove all that evil stuff
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:57 pm

It's like any other piece of software that can be used for ill purposes. Take ImgBurn for example, you could use it to backup or burn say photos you've taken, or you could use it too burn illegally obtained games. You can also take Swiss and use it to boot illegally obtained backups, or you could use it to boot a game to you own in widescreen.

As everyone else has said, no one will care.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:30 pm

UK, piracy and SWAT team knocking on the door. It reminds me of an episode of The IT Crowd. I'm sorry if I changed the subject.