Someone says Animal Crossing has ACE via save files

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
rayman

Someone says Animal Crossing has ACE via save files

Post by rayman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:47 am

https://github.com/Cuyler36/ACNESCreator/releases

Although the GC already has many great softmods available, thanks mostly to FIX94, I thought people in this forum may be interested to hear about this recent development.

"This version adds patching support! Since we now have arbitrary code execution (ACE) in Animal Crossing, memory patches can be made! There is an included test patch that will automatically turn on zurumode 2 when used in the NES. This patch only works on North American copies of Animal Crossing!

The patch convention looks like this:

Code: Select all

struct AnimalCrossingNESPatch
{
    uint32_t PatchAddress; // The RAM address where you want the patch to be copied to.
    uint32_t PatchSize; // The size in bytes of the patch (this is how much data will be copied).
    uint32_t IsExecutable; // If 0, the patch will be treated as data. If anything else, it'll be treated as code and will jump to it after patching. If it's executable, register r0 will hold the originating function's return address. Adding mtlr r0 at the beginning of your code will set it properly!
    uint8_t Data[]; // Your code/data that will be patched in.
}
"
FIX94

Re: Someone says Animal Crossing has ACE via save files

Post by FIX94 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:18 pm

another opportunity for an exploit this quickly after the last one? that is pretty impressive! now from what I can see for this one to be easily distributable I guess you'd need one town .gci and then a custom nes game .gci, that sounds just a little bit tedious to use in the end but maybe I'll look into it...
FIX94

Re: Someone says Animal Crossing has ACE via save files

Post by FIX94 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:05 am

well I did decide to look into it and I guess I'll just leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMnepNJT4yE