Hello, Im new and I need help

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
gogica_

Hello, Im new and I need help

Post by gogica_ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Hello everyone :)
I just got a Japanese GameCube (DOL-001 (JPN) ) and of course, I wish to Soft mod it if possible as I am too clumsy to properly install the chip inside so I was thinking to
turn to soft-modding.
Could anyone tell me whether a combination of freeloader CD (suitable for JPN region) + SD Flash Memory Card Reader for NGC + modded SD Card would work ?
Also I would kindly ask you for tips,tricks and ideas
Thank you very much in advance!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Hello, Im new and I need help

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 am

Welcome to the forum.

You will need slightly more to be able to be able to run any sort of homebrew.

This page will detail most if not all known methods for booting code on your GameCube.
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 am

gogica_ wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 pm
I just got a Japanese GameCube (DOL-001 (JPN) ) and of course, I wish to Soft mod it if possible as I am too clumsy to properly install the chip inside so I was thinking to
turn to soft-modding.
Could anyone tell me whether a combination of freeloader CD (suitable for JPN region) + SD Flash Memory Card Reader for NGC + modded SD Card would work ?
Yes it will work, but the freeloader / action replay disc for Japanese consoles can get expensive, they may also be out of print.

I suggest grabbing a cheap JPN copy of animal crossing (どうぶつの森) and a "WiiSD" loader and SD card from aliexpress, together with a couple of GCN memory cards.

The trickiest part of this is you will need a hacked Wii or someone with one to load the Animal crossing exploit on to your memory card so it can boot Swiss from your WiiSD.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:07 pm

You can do the Switch mod first to be able to run US NTSC games as-is, if you don't have much interest in Jap games.
Or you'll have to find a (cheap) exploit-able game in its Jap version.
The AR/FL way may only be used as a transition, to be able to set up a GameSave Exploit.

Then, you'll need to access to a GC compatible Wii (It doesn't need to be previously hacked, GCMM can be launched off the Letterbomb exploit, I did it this way) or an already Softmodded/hardmodded GC, or even have a friend set up a Memcard for your needs.
And you'll need all the stuff Previously stated by Haydinho.

Haydinho> Is the Animal Crossing Exploit straight forward enough not to be lost in the menus? Maybe 007 AUF is cheaper, but one has to get through the menus, which can be quite tricky and end up eventually erasing the SaveHack.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
gogica_

Post by gogica_ » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:25 pm

Haydinho wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 am
gogica_ wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 pm
turn to soft-modding.
Yes it will work, but the freeloader / action replay disc for Japanese consoles can get expensive, they may also be out of print.

I suggest grabbing a cheap JPN copy of animal crossing (どうぶつの森) and a "WiiSD" loader and SD card from aliexpress, together with a couple of GCN memory cards.

The trickiest part of this is you will need a hacked Wii or someone with one to load the Animal crossing exploit on to your memory card so it can boot Swiss from your WiiSD.
I am able to get the freeloader cd (JPN), so I would maybe go with that :) Are the memory card sd adapters,memory cards and controllers universal or are there also region locks :O ?
Also when I would get the Freeloader+memory card sd adapter+ memory card and presumably everything would work then I would need to dl and insert homebrew on the sd card together with roms and it should work ?

Also thank you everyone else for the ideas and tips, and I will definitely go for other options if this wont work but I hope it does :D
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:26 am

I don't know much about AR/FL use to boot homebrew, just that this seems to be quite a pain.

Region lock is only on the booting of discs, some games (very few) show limitations when relying on Rom based fonts, and memcard jap format can't handle occidental character encoding and vice-versa.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)