Problem with GC DOL 101

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
grayzzz

Problem with GC DOL 101

Post by grayzzz » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:37 pm

Hello guys
I spend my time trying to launch homebrew in my GC and... this not work for me why??? :x
this is what I did:

1: I Put sd2sp2 to my GC in some soldering points, with a memory card in slot A with Boot.dol and Super Smash B.M exploit (DOL-GALE-0-02.gci)
when I go to vs mode/enter name my GC Reboot and Start again
2: I make my own SD Gecko with this file : Homebrew DOL, autoexec.dol , igr.dol
and the same thing happens the game only reboot
I dont know whats is wrong I saw differents tutorial but it's the same all the time

I hope you can help me thanks ! :D
Papy.G

Re: Problem with GC DOL 101

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 am

First make sure the boot forwarder you put on your Memcard is SD2SP2 compatible.

Maybe you just put an iplboot.dol on your Memcard and forgot to put SWISS.dol as ipl.dol at the root of your SD card. :P

Maybe there is an error in the pin namings as with the Dol-001 connector that leads to mismatch in and out lines when connecting the card reader.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
grayzzz

Post by grayzzz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 am

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:10 am
First make sure the boot forwarder you put on your Memcard is SD2SP2 compatible.

Maybe you just put an iplboot.dol on your Memcard and forgot to put SWISS.dol as ipl.dol at the root of your SD card. :P

Maybe there is an error in the pin namings as with the Dol-001 connector that leads to mismatch in and out lines when connecting the card reader.
thanks !
maybe there are some problem with some pin...
but if I use Sd Gecko? it's more easier
in this point I'm so confused about what tutorial see
can you please show me a good tutorial?

this is my SD gecko files
Spoiler
Show
tutorial SD gecko
Spoiler
Show
GC memory (I take this picture from other side but is the same, in my case + Super Smash B.M exploit, this I download from this forum)
Spoiler
Show
Pin
Spoiler
Show
some tutorials that I saw
Spoiler
Show
pin info
Spoiler
Show
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Why is your autoexec.dol only 900kB? It should be the last swiss.dol renamed, unless you want to boot to another homebrew (gbi, or whatever…)

It should work with the SD card in an SD Gecko as well, if you have one.

The reddit you pointed to states fake informations:
Loading via SP2 connection can't be any faster than via SDGecko.
There are in-game slowdowns in some games compared to playing on original discs (ie: MKDD).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
rafer_22

Post by rafer_22 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:51 pm

You need to connect pin 4 - CLK serial Port 2
grayzzz

Post by grayzzz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Why is your autoexec.dol only 900kB? It should be the last swiss.dol renamed, unless you want to boot to another homebrew (gbi, or whatever…)

It should work with the SD card in an SD Gecko as well, if you have one.

The reddit you pointed to states fake informations:
Loading via SP2 connection can't be any faster than via SDGecko.
There are in-game slowdowns in some games compared to playing on original discs (ie: MKDD).
thanks a lot for your answers
you are right with the swiss.dol I change it (swiss r813 2,932kb), but nothing happens my GC reboot

rafer_22 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:51 pm
thanks! right now I want to use SD gecko, serial port 2 drives me crazy in my Dol 101 :roll:
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:16 pm

rafer_22 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:51 pm
what would pin 4 be? call whom in which?
these photos from this post, from reddit, can be followed and will I receive serial port 2 for a 101 DOL? :idea: :?:
Papy.G wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 pm

do you know the Playstation 2 Automan?
as it is a mod in which you can get an IDE entry for the Plays2 slim. however, the HD does not work as in a FAT playstation. does not boot from HD, nor does it accept certain settings, which are accepted as in PS2 FAT ... :|

wouldn't it be something like that?
I think SP2 on DOL 101 is a little bit different ... :roll:
grayzzz wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm
thanks! right now I want to use SD gecko, serial port 2 drives me crazy in my Dol 101 :roll:
did you use the capacitor? :?:
SWISS USER :geek:
grayzzz

Post by grayzzz » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 pm

yes, in Dol 101 maybe are different
Diego borella wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:16 pm
do You mean this? 22uf 10v? yes
Spoiler
Show
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm

grayzzz wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:39 pm
yes, in Dol 101 maybe are different
Diego borella wrote:
do You mean this? 22uf 10v? yes
Spoiler
Show
try one with 25 volts. the same 22uf, 25volts ..

I did it only worked with a 22uf 50 volt capacitor. but I think 25 volts is enough for you. solder near the adapter.

but I think the problem is in the settings ...
In addition to replacing the capacitor, try using the SD gecko to access SP2 to be sure what the problem is.
Attachments
20200213_125507.jpg
SD2SP2 homebrew
(989.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
grayzzz

Post by grayzzz » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:03 am

Diego borella wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:36 pm
try one with 25 volts. the same 22uf, 25volts ..
I did it only worked with a 22uf 50 volt capacitor. but I think 25 volts is enough for you. solder near the adapter.
but I think the problem is in the settings ...
In addition to replacing the capacitor, try using the SD gecko to access SP2 to be sure what the problem is.
thanks but right now my country is in quarantine :|
I can't go for a new capacitor

I will try it with sd gecko to sp2 thanks
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 am

grayzzz wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:37 pm
It shouldn't, there are only six wires to connect, and only two can be bothersome, but if it doesn't work one way, you just have to swap them.
Diego borella wrote:
what would pin 4 be? call whom in which?
these photos from this post, from reddit, can be followed and will I receive serial port 2 for a 101 DOL? :idea: :?:
Clock is connected to clock on either side.
If you want to get a SP2 compatible connector in a DOL-101, you'll first need a 2mm pitch header (2x8 pins)
Diego borella wrote:do you know the Playstation 2 Automan?
I think SP2 on DOL 101 is a little bit different ... :roll:
Not sure to understand what you mean, but the SP2 works exactly as the Memcard ports on any Gamecube version, and the serial port 2 on the DOL-101 is exactly the same as in the 001 models, except that it isn't wired on the MB from the CPU to an external port on the later models. Electrically, it may miss some passive chips, but not a big deal.
grayzzz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:03 am
I can't go for a new capacitor

I will try it with sd gecko to sp2 thanks
Just skip it.

Trying the setup with an SD Gecko first would be wise. ;)

grayzzz

Post by grayzzz » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:56 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:07 am
Just skip it.

Trying the setup with an SD Gecko first would be wise. ;)
guys I'm done...
I tried different things and the result is the same
I make a New Sd gecko connected to main board in memory card B with this diagram
I tried connecting with SD pin 9 and without it
Spoiler
Show
this is my SD Card adapter is kingstone and mini SD 16gb (I pull out the capacitor)
Spoiler
Show
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:56 am

did not work? I think there is blocking by the data bus ... :!:

:idea:
do not use pin 9 of the SD. :|
follow the diagram. with multimeter ...
weld it to the SD without this wire head.
eliminate the red wires and also the plug.
use less wire. :arrow:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:48 am

Trying with handmade stuff won't get you anywhere, because it is very error prone.
First, you have to make sure the software side is OK, both what is on your GC Memcard, and what is on your SD card, that it works well together and with the game you're using to boot.

One safe thing to do first is to try run GBI or any homebrew off a GC memcard with your save exploit. (replacing the DoLauncher (Boot.gci))

Diego's right, if your red wires go straight under the adaptor, there are many errors, no need for pin 9 and 8 to be connected, while 7 and 6 may be needed.
But you can keep the connector and red wires, it makes for easier disassembling.

Try to be precise and serious about what you do (ie, your Kingston adapter is a µSD card adapter, why does it matter? only miniSD cards, not regular nor micro ones, use the Int pin) and do not try everything around.
Validate working things step by step, this only way we would be able to help you.

grayzzz

Post by grayzzz » Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:39 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:48 am
Diego's right, if your red wires go straight under the adaptor, there are many errors, no need for pin 9 and 8 to be connected, while 7 and 6 may be needed.
But you can keep the connector and red wires, it makes for easier disassembling.
thanks for help me
I pull out the red wires and pin 9, now when I go to Smash B. vs mode/enter name the image freezes for 10 sec. then it restarts
anyone has the files for this process to download again?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:42 pm

You may try to get the exploit for every game you have from the GC forever Wiki (which I think you already did, anyway)

Then, download the latest GBI and in the MCBackup folder, pick GBI.gci, no matter you have or don't have a GBPlayer.

Put those on your GCMemCard with GCMM.

You should now be able to see GBI in action, or just saying no GBP is detected, it's the first step.

Second step is trying to boot your SD in any slot you put it, downloading the NiHuSu modded Brosexec DoLauncher mentionned in this post, and replacing GBI.gci on your memcard with this. Then, SWISS renamed as autoexec.dol (lowercase) at the root of a fat32 formatted card (one partition only). that should just work, that's the second step.

If not, we gonna need some wire troubleshooting.
Basically, if you wire the six vital wires (VCC, GND, CS, Clk, DI, DO), the only thing you have to beware, is crossing DI and DO if it didn't work the other way. Some adapters already bind the gnd (pin 3 to 6, regular SD side), as there only is one ground pin on µSD cards.

Edit: Oh, and you have to know shorting the memcard detect on an internal SDGecko isn't a good idea since it can be quite troublesome, I experienced oddities with some DoLaunchers with an empty SDGecko in the SlotB. You have to wire the card presence sensing pin to get a proper installation.