Best soft mod solution for Japanese consoles?

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
RedZone908

Best soft mod solution for Japanese consoles?

Post by RedZone908 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello,

I possess an orange Japanese GameCube. It seems that Datel’s SD Media Launcher currently only comes in NTSC-U and PAL variants. If I want to load Swiss, Game Boy Interface etc. on my NTSC-J GameCube, what’s my best alternative? I can’t seem to find a Japanese SD Media Launcher or Action Replay on eBay, and I really don’t want to have to add in the Xeno chip or the region switch.
Papy.G

Re: Best soft mod solution for Japanese consoles?

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:51 pm

Someone told me the JAP WindWaker is not selling at such high price than in "roman languages", maybe an exploit is interesting, while you have to beware when trying to mix Asian and roman saves on the same memcard.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
RedZone908

Post by RedZone908 » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:45 pm

Thank you Papy! Mixing saves won’t be a problem as my only goal is to run the Game Boy Interface. Sounds like Wind Waker JP is the best way to go. But since I don’t have all the stuff for my Wii anymore, I’ll need to see if I can pay one of my friends to do the memory card shenanigans for me.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:13 am

You don't need that much stuff for the Wii, just a RVL-001, its wiimote, cables and a SD card, GCMM can be launched off the letterbomb exploit on any unmodded Wii. ;)
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
RedZone908

Post by RedZone908 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 am

Closing the loop on this. Ordered the JP Wind Waker, which finally arrived today. I dug my old letterbombed Wii out of storage. Plopped the Wind Waker hack and DoLaunch BrosExec onto a memory card 59, and used them together to load Swiss from an SD card. Then loaded GBI from Swiss. Papy, thank you for your suggestion! It was the right course.

For anyone who doesn't know this--even though BrosExec's readme says it is intended for HomeBros, I can confirm that it works perfectly fine from the Wind Waker Hack as well. :)