Swiss with hacked game save, appropriate use of memory cards.

Discussion / Support for Softmods (SDML, AR, Game Hacks)
Hyrikan

Swiss with hacked game save, appropriate use of memory cards.

Post by Hyrikan » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi guys,

i recently started having fun with modding my Wii and GameCube. It is a pleasure to see my setup improve every day. Currently i use a hacked game save exploit for The Wind Waker to start a converted Swiss boot.dol from the same memory card. My games are situated on a SD card on the SD2SP2 adapter and its working fine.Sadly, I have no SD Gecko.

Now, when starting new games, they create their game saves on the hacked memory card and it bothers me a bit. I refrained from playing The Wind Waker since then, because i do not want to risk some unexpected behavior with the hacked game save. I am curious, what is the usual way of dealing with save games in this setup?

If i want to use my bigger memory cards, do i have to put the hacked game save and another instance of Swiss on there as well? So that i just put the appropriate hacked memory card in Slot A with the save state for the game i wanna play? I noticed, that many games have problems with Memory Card Slot B and just give no option to explicitly use it. Some just silently use game saves stored in B, but create new ones in A, which is also a problem. Am i able to swap out my Swiss memory card, after loading into it?

If you have no experience or answer to my questions, i will gladly start testing away and give some results :)

Having a ton of fun, Hyrikan
Hyrikan

Re: Swiss with hacked game save, appropriate use of memory cards.

Post by Hyrikan » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:34 pm

Ok i tried some stuff and now i know how to use that stuff appropriately ^^

You can swap your swiss/hacked gamesave card after swiss has booted. And subsequently use another card for saves.
Games can save on the hacked card but can not load from it, which is kind of unintuitive. So you always have to swap your card.

You can also put a dol loader on your memcard instead of swiss and load swiss from your SD2SP2 adapter. https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewt ... 136#p45136
This is the more efficient way of starting swiss, as you don't need such a big memory card to reserve for the hacked game exploit.