wii disc problem

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Hucklebuck

wii disc problem

Post by Hucklebuck » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:26 pm

I just got a WII It has a GC2-D2E drive chip. I checked it online. It took me quite some time to find a moddable drive WII. They are really hard to come by.

Here is my problem when I insert a Gamecube game in the disc channel it spins up and then stops and says "unable to read the disc". What is the problem?

I really don't want to take this WII back if I can fix it. Cause I want to have a moddable drive on it.

I'm new to the WII. Please help. I have modded many consoles but I'm a WII virgin. LOL
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: wii disc problem

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 pm

0. Does it have a modchip?

1. Can you play Wii or GC originals at all?

2. Can you play Wii or GC backups at all?

3. Check the region of your originals/backups you are trying

4. Run the configuration disk if there is such a thing for your mod chip(assuming there is one installed)

If you have no modchip, I'd check that you're inserting the right region disk (GC or Wii) for the wii (don't use a datel disk either).
Hucklebuck

Post by Hucklebuck » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:36 pm

No modchip.

Can Play WII originals

Can play WII backups

WII and GC original are from same region as console

It was just soft modded.
ratt1972

Post by ratt1972 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:21 pm

you need to add a channel to play the backup gamecube disc

google gecko 1.9 and install the wad

then goto setting and force the region of the wii. that way you can play overseas games.

another channel is gc backup launcher .

the games won't load up in the disc channel cause that is using the original chip set
the channel will by past the copy protect setting and let you play them

you say you soft mod your system but you didn't give the channels you add -- so i think you only install the homebrew channel

another good program is to get "pimp your wii" its a save way to get updates to your wii
Hucklebuck

Post by Hucklebuck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:04 am

Now, I can boot GC originals in Neogamma, gecko and gc backup launcher. But no backups. An older version of gc backup launcher would boot the backup then freeze right away. Is there anything else I can do?
WiiPower

Post by WiiPower » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:23 pm

In order to get NeoGamma to work as good as possible for GC backups, you need to install the recommend cMIOS:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4ayvwgqey66qc9v
It's MIOSv10 with the patch that allows to run GC homebrew, use Action Replay and allowing to use DVD-Rs(still requires to use a loader). And then use the latest NeoGamma beta and set it to GC mode internal.

This could also fix gamecube retail discs on disc channel, if not, i don't know what's causing it. I would have guessed you have some bad cMIOS installed.

Oh and i think the latest NeoGamma R9 beta is your best shot at GC backups if you don't have a modchip or SD-Gecko.