Seeking racing wheel for Pole Position II

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Bricago

Seeking racing wheel for Pole Position II

Post by Bricago » Tue Dec 05, 2023 4:01 pm

Hello. I’m playing GC Namco Museum 50th Anniversary on a Wii. I’d like to play it with a racing wheel controller or some other controller besides the Wiimote or GC controller. If you know of any options, I’d appreciate the info.
Papy.G

Re: Seeking racing wheel for Pole Position II

Post by Papy.G » Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:19 pm

Unfortunately, Pole Position games are from another era, and the way the wheels worked on those games' arcade cabinets isn't very much compatible with The GC era's ones.

I'm not that old, but I used to play those games on the real hardware back in the days. We had a little video game room close to the High school where we almost always go (specifically when it was too cold or wet to chill around in the park), and there were many outdated entertainment systems such as those arcades, old BabyFoot (TableTop Soccer maybe?), tired Pool tables, cranky jukebox, and string Bowling that we all could play for quite cheap.

So the specific of the wheel is that it is just a relative device, with no boundaries, no center, no dead zone backup, you could (and we certainly did) just roll it away to steer at the maximum when needed, but you had to do the same to get back to straight position!

The games compilation's instructions don't mention the Logitech Speed Force, so it may not be supported, you have to rely on the cheaper alternatives, Thrusmaster Kart Challenge/Challenge2/Universal Challenge, these are not force feedback wheels, only rumble, they really feel cheap, but they are totally remappable. Just beware of the brittle palettes, be gentle with them, especially now that plastic is getting old. You'll have to get back over the center to get the game's steering back to center, it's quite awkward, but it is the simplest alternative to building a specific wheel for those games, unless you have many more games that need that kind of controller.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
shegg67

Post by shegg67 » Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:31 am

unfortunately it only supports Wiimote and GC controller..
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Dec 11, 2023 4:57 pm

1: The OP asked about GC Namco Museum 50th Anniversary, how can a GC game support Wiimote?

2: I have the hardware and downloaded the game in order to check and I can say: Yes, it supports Thrustmaster GC Wheels (these are not working as the Logitech dedicated Speed Force, but emulates a regular controller) I tested with the kart challenge, and you can assign shift button to palette (throttle and brakes work with pedals in the default mapping).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Bricago

Post by Bricago » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:22 pm

Wow. Papy.G thank you for the immensely helpful replies! I’m thrilled to know that a Thrustmaster GC wheel works. I got hooked on the Ms. Pac-Man plug and play that uses a very clever twisting action on the joystick to steer. I wanted to try PP II because of the additional tracks. I don’t have space for a wheel/pedal rig, so compact options are a must. I also think there’s something to the idea that some controllers are just more *fun* than others, even despite missing all the bells and whistles. I really like Trackmania Turbo (on PS4) as a good combo of “realism” and insane track designs, jumps, etc. It pairs well with a DualShock controller. Whereas Gran Turismo is more of a simulator, so you really need a wheel/pedal rig for the full experience. I lean toward the game-oriented ones like PP, Cruisin, Hot Wheels Beat That! on the Wii.