Hack 480p support into Mega Man 9/10

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
BenoitRen

Hack 480p support into Mega Man 9/10

Post by BenoitRen » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:48 pm

Most WiiWare games have native 480p support. Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10 are two of the few that don't. This is a problem for me because the VGA cable I use with my Wii can't transcode 480i signals. So every time I want to play Mega Man 9 (I don't have Mega Man 10 yet) I have to move my Wii to an SDTV and listen to my parents complain about the noise.

I wondered if someone had the skill to hack 480p support into these games. I've tried forcing it, but it didn't work. I'd be prepared to try doing it myself if given some guidance, as I know C, but have no experience with Wii coding/hacking.

A Wii hacker suggested a couple years ago I ask this question on WiiRd. I registered recently, but for some reason my registration was rejected.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
deckard

Re: Hack 480p support into Mega Man 9/10

Post by deckard » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:31 am

What happened when you tried to force 480p through Swiss? Black screen? Error message?

Also please let us know which revision of Swiss you're using.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:57 am

I did not use Swiss. What made you think that GameCube software can force 480p on WiiWare software?

I used WiiLauncher, which can load channels without needing patched IOSs.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:03 am

ironic how you mentioned in another thread about not encouraging piracy, yet you are now asking for help in hacking to alter the digital content of a software title to add features not originally included in the wiiware distribution and would thereby result in a recreation of a copyrighted work to include the features you request because you dont want to swap a cable to avoid getting yelled at by your parents???
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:44 am

megalomaniac wrote:ironic how you mentioned in another thread about not encouraging piracy, yet you are now asking for help in hacking to alter the digital content of a software title to add features not originally included in the wiiware distribution and would thereby result in a recreation of a copyrighted work to include the features you request because you dont want to swap a cable to avoid getting yelled at by your parents???
How is modifying something you own piracy?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:07 am

Cubelover, I'm not sure, but I'd look into why it's failing to patch when using patchers that work on other Wiiware software and ask those authors to look into it. I haven't looked into how video forcing works on Wii software, is it just configuring it properly before launching when forced or is it actively patching video routines? It might be the former and perhaps this wii ware title is ignoring it.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:40 am

Cubelover wrote:
megalomaniac wrote:ironic how you mentioned in another thread about not encouraging piracy, yet you are now asking for help in hacking to alter the digital content of a software title to add features not originally included in the wiiware distribution and would thereby result in a recreation of a copyrighted work to include the features you request because you dont want to swap a cable to avoid getting yelled at by your parents???

this is not the right forum to discuss the example i will provide, but here is a quick example
you can own a satellite receiver and a card purchased on ebay..then digitally modify the authorization on the card to allow video decryption..

you will have to imagine the rest because i will say nothing more about this example
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:22 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Cubelover, I'm not sure, but I'd look into why it's failing to patch when using patchers that work on other Wiiware software and ask those authors to look into it. I haven't looked into how video forcing works on Wii software, is it just configuring it properly before launching when forced or is it actively patching video routines? It might be the former and perhaps this wii ware title is ignoring it.
Thanks but, I think you have got me mixed with the OP here :D
megalomaniac wrote:
Cubelover wrote:
this is not the right forum to discuss the example i will provide, but here is a quick example
you can own a satellite receiver and a card purchased on ebay..then digitally modify the authorization on the card to allow video decryption..

you will have to imagine the rest because i will say nothing more about this example
That's a pretty bad example. A hacked card means you can steal something you don't own (video feed) while you can't steal anything whatsoever with a modified WiiWare game. I don't even know why we have this discussion. The foundation of homebrew is exactly this, modifying stuff to add seeked features. Piracy is stealing others stuff. Not sure what personal problem you might have with the OP.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:54 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I'm not sure, but I'd look into why it's failing to patch when using patchers that work on other Wiiware software and ask those authors to look into it.
I can't. WiiLauncher is based on Gecko OS, and Gecko OS's website is WiiRd, where I've been declined membership.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:29 pm

You can try other launchers. I believe usb loaders have more advanced options and support WiiWare games.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:29 am

USB Loader GX might do it, I was pretty sure that was able to boot WiiWare
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm

USB Loader GX and cfg-loader both require some kind of cIOS. AAAAARGH!
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:06 pm

What's so wrong with using one ? Unless you're on a Wii U (I heard these don't have an IOS) , but then there'd be no point in doing that.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:39 pm

BenoitRen wrote:USB Loader GX and cfg-loader both require some kind of cIOS. AAAAARGH!
I have multiple cIOS for USB loading and DVD loading, and they work very damn fine.

Use bootmii if you are afraid to brick it, take a backup and try a cIOS. Never heard of anyone not managing to do it.

Follow a youtube video or something, it's easy.
the game
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:11 pm

I've only had bad experiences with piracy-related IOSs. There shouldn't be any need for them, either! The required priviledges can be gotten by memory patching. WiiLoader does it.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:04 am

BenoitRen wrote:I've only had bad experiences with piracy-related IOSs. There shouldn't be any need for them, either! The required priviledges can be gotten by memory patching. WiiLoader does it.
Well, they're not bad.
And it's not piracy, it's backuping. I for example lost my Double Dash disc, but still have my BACKUP disc :)
the game
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:29 pm

iamdablasta wrote:And it's not piracy, it's backuping.
That's just what they call it so they don't look bad. Very few people use it for actual back-ups instead of pirated copies they downloaded from the web.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:25 pm

BenoitRen wrote:
iamdablasta wrote:And it's not piracy, it's backuping.
That's just what they call it so they don't look bad. Very few people use it for actual back-ups instead of pirated copies they downloaded from the web.
Well, you indirectly called me a pirate by saying cIOS is for pirates. It's for backuping, sometimes used by pirates. The internet is also used to pirate, but you don't stop using the internet because of that?
I have only taken rips from my own games and burnt to actual BACKUP dvd's. I somehow lost MKDD and am glad I got a backup.

Enough of this, anyways cIOSes are actually really useful for a lot. Refusing to get one just because some programs work without is just unnecessary and is only hindering yourself. It takes less than five minutes to install one.
the game
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Like I said, I only had trouble when I installed a cIOS before. Good luck getting support when your issue involves one, as Wii homebrew communities ban any discussion related to them.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:56 pm

BenoitRen wrote:Like I said, I only had trouble when I installed a cIOS before. Good luck getting support when your issue involves one, as Wii homebrew communities ban any discussion related to them.
I am not OP.
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:56 pm

BenoitRen wrote:Like I said, I only had trouble when I installed a cIOS before. Good luck getting support when your issue involves one, as Wii homebrew communities ban any discussion related to them.
Why is that ? :shock:
French forums don't ban that kind of discussion at least based on what I found during my random research.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:01 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Why is that ? :shock:
Because of its strong link to piracy.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:52 am

Now I remember what a pain these cIOSs were. You can't just install IOS249 or any of its variants. You have to install IOS236 first, which was a pain and is likely what made my Wii unstable.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:14 pm

Install the latest d2X cIOS, that always helps.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:08 pm

BenoitRen wrote:Now I remember what a pain these cIOSs were. You can't just install IOS249 or any of its variants. You have to install IOS236 first, which was a pain and is likely what made my Wii unstable.
If your softmodded wii is unstable, you did something wrong.
the game