Entering Wii World

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
MarSAttK

Entering Wii World

Post by MarSAttK » Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:25 am

Hi guys,

Yesterday I got my first Wii without cables/remotes (~15 USD), today I bought component cables + AC adapter to see if it worked but unfortunately it doesn't.

I mean, the LED does turn red when power is connected and it does turn green when you press the button. But it doesn't show anything on the screen, no picture (not even a black screen, TV says "no signal") and no sound is coming out. It does take miniDVDs in, and ejects normally.

I know it could be a lot of things that may've gone wrong but... is there anything I can do to revive this little fellow? (or at least try?). Should I head down to the dumpster??

Anyways... thanks for taking the time to read this.

M.
jlo138

Re: Entering Wii World

Post by jlo138 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:51 am

Only thing I can say is try to load a game. Press a button to see if it loads and if you can hear disc spinning and loading sounds. If that works then it's probably the cables or video out on the Wii is bad. Could of been dropped on the back while plugged in by previous owners.

At the very least, if it's an early model Wii you can sell it for parts or sell the DVD drive as those are sought after. Providing it works.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
MarSAttK

Post by MarSAttK » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:31 pm

I'll try loading a game.
Is there a list of serial numbers to see if it's an older model? How do you tell?

Thanks jlo138
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:21 pm

http://www.wiidrives.com/list

I can't remember which is the sought after drive number. If the Wii isn't white then it definitely isn't one that's is. It also has to me made before 2008 or so. Mine has a GC2-D2C(v1) and it runs backups on DVD-R with soft mods. It was manufactured in 2006.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:52 pm

Most likely someone's bricked it by messing around installing/uninstalling stuff they shouldn't. There are literally hundreds of these and they're useless except for spare parts.
MarSAttK

Post by MarSAttK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:23 am

Okay, I got some news, hopefully you guys can help se sort it out...
By now I can tell that the wii works, got myself a Wiimote and a Sensor bar so I can sync the wiimote, turn on and off the wii and I can also feel the wiimote vibrating when I point at the screen. Only that there isn't any video or audio for both composite and component cables.

Decided to take a look at the board and found signs of shortcircuit (is that the right way to say it?) and some components missing: R64 (missing), C107 gone, from this component on the track is cut for about 1/4", R63 (no continuity), FIL20 (missing) C93 (missing). It seems that someone tried to repair this wii before (without success) since I could clearly see a wire linking the composite line where FIL20 is supposed to be.

I've been checking different forums to see if I can get a picture with board location for signals but haven't been able to find any.

1. Can I force the wii into component somehow hardware-wise?
2. Does anyone here know if its possible to rewire the video port? Is there a place in the board where I can get the lines directly?

As always, thanks a bunch guys!
MarSAttK

Post by MarSAttK » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:23 am

Okay, I got some news, hopefully you guys can help se sort it out...
By now I can tell that the wii works, got myself a Wiimote and a Sensor bar so I can sync the wiimote, turn on and off the wii and I can also feel the wiimote vibrating when I point at the screen. Only that there isn't any video or audio for both composite and component cables.

Decided to take a look at the board and found signs of shortcircuit (is that the right way to say it?) and some components missing: R64 (missing), C107 gone, from this component on the track is cut for about 1/4", R63 (no continuity), FIL20 (missing) C93 (missing). It seems that someone tried to repair this wii before (without success) since I could clearly see a wire linking the composite line where FIL20 is supposed to be.

I've been checking different forums to see if I can get a picture with board location for signals but haven't been able to find any.

1. Can I force the wii into component somehow hardware-wise?
2. Does anyone here know if its possible to rewire the video port? Is there a place in the board where I can get the lines directly?

As always, thanks a bunch guys!