Wii drives all interchangeable?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
siphoned

Wii drives all interchangeable?

Post by siphoned » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:41 pm

The more I search online to answer my question, the more mixed information I find. Will any wii drive work on any other wii as a replacement?

More to the point..... Can I swap whole drives between a D3-2 / D4 unit and a D2B unit?
(I want the D2B in the wiikey fusion wii and still have a working drive in the other)

Save me some time if anyone knows if this will be ok. Thanks!
novenary

Re: Wii drives all interchangeable?

Post by novenary » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:14 pm

Yes you can swap the drives. Actually I think motherboard revisions don't matter, especially since even GC port-less Wiis share the same mobo.
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Yep, worked great. Thanks!

I did notice that wiidrives .com said my wii had 100% chance of having a D2B drive (based off serial number), but it actually had a D1 drive in it. I'm guessing the D1 is some old launch drive. It probably won't read dual layer disc or something irritating now.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:13 pm

siphoned wrote:Yep, worked great. Thanks!

I did notice that wiidrives .com said my wii had 100% chance of having a D2B drive (based off serial number), but it actually had a D1 drive in it. I'm guessing the D1 is some old launch drive. It probably won't read dual layer disc or something irritating now.
I take it you mean GC2-D1A. What is printed on the smaller chip close by?
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:47 pm

O' I see. The little chip says GC2-D2B. So that makes it a D2B drive. I see. I was looking at the big chip with the GC2-D1 (no A) number. Got it! Thanks!

I feel like a Jawa selling droids.
stomp_442

Post by stomp_442 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:41 am

siphoned wrote:I'm guessing the D1 is some old launch drive. It probably won't read dual layer disc or something irritating now.
If you have an early version DVD drive in your Wii and it will not read dual layer disc games then clean the lens. Nintendo made a lens cleaner kit which may be hard to come by now, otherwise disassembling the Wii is the only other way to clean the lens. This was a common problem with older Wii's.