MediaPlayer_CE

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Shrapnal

MediaPlayer_CE

Post by Shrapnal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:48 am

Has anyone sucessfully got this app to play retail dvds? It always just freezes on me...
AC_Orange

Re: MediaPlayer_CE

Post by AC_Orange » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 am

yeah, i tried a few DVDs and they worked for me. i use the program daily to watch movies from external usb media and samba shares

when exactly does it freeze?
DVD and USB 2.0 Support
To read DVDs and to read external drives at USB 2.0 speeds you will need the custom cIOS USB2 modified by the Mplayer CE team which can be found here
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:57 pm

Shrapnal wrote:Has anyone sucessfully got this app to play retail dvds? It always just freezes on me...
Provide some more details like which version you are using, when your Wii was purchased, etc. There are issues with the most recent Wii consoles, where if you don't have a modchip of some kind, you will not be able to read DVD videos.
Shrapnal

Post by Shrapnal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:26 pm

System menu 4.2, The Wii is about a month old.. I have it softmodded. I successfully loaded the custom ios.. Mplayer loads, i can navigate to dvd.. When i click play DVD the DVD drive clicks for a second... and it freezes here before showing any video.
emu_kidid wrote:
Shrapnal wrote:Has anyone sucessfully got this app to play retail dvds? It always just freezes on me...
Provide some more details like which version you are using, when your Wii was purchased, etc. There are issues with the most recent Wii consoles, where if you don't have a modchip of some kind, you will not be able to read DVD videos.
Requires a hardware modchip now?
samuka

Post by samuka » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:25 pm

obvious question: have you installed DVDX?
LUCK. RUNS. OUT.
Shrapnal

Post by Shrapnal » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:57 pm

samuka wrote:obvious question: have you installed DVDX?
I have tried a few different versions, and different methods of installing them yes.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Shrapnal wrote:System menu 4.2, The Wii is about a month old.. I have it softmodded. I successfully loaded the custom ios.. Mplayer loads, i can navigate to dvd.. When i click play DVD the DVD drive clicks for a second... and it freezes here before showing any video.
Ok, well in the very latest Wii's, the DVD Video Read command has been removed, this is why all you hear is the "click" (drive resetting), and then nothing. If you get a latest generation modchip, and with cIOS you might be able to read DVD movies then, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll work as the DVD Key commands might no longer be present too. Kinda sucks, but at least you're still able to run homebrew!
Shrapnal

Post by Shrapnal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:14 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Shrapnal wrote:System menu 4.2, The Wii is about a month old.. I have it softmodded. I successfully loaded the custom ios.. Mplayer loads, i can navigate to dvd.. When i click play DVD the DVD drive clicks for a second... and it freezes here before showing any video.
Ok, well in the very latest Wii's, the DVD Video Read command has been removed, this is why all you hear is the "click" (drive resetting), and then nothing. If you get a latest generation modchip, and with cIOS you might be able to read DVD movies then, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll work as the DVD Key commands might no longer be present too. Kinda sucks, but at least you're still able to run homebrew!

Removed from the DVD drive itself? or somewhere in the Wii? - Next question would be can I replace the dvdrom drive to solve this?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 pm

You can replace it with something older, but you will have to replace the entire drive. Try to get something before D2E, version wise.
Shrapnal

Post by Shrapnal » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:53 am

emu_kidid wrote:You can replace it with something older, but you will have to replace the entire drive. Try to get something before D2E, version wise.
Thanks for the info - Was trying to send you a priv message. Seems to be sitting in my outbox and not gon' anywhere..
R3dfaction

Post by R3dfaction » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:25 am

Is it possible having a gamecube port of Mplayer ce?
Dol-001 | RGB Cables | Viper GC Extreme | GB Player | BBA | XCM Crystal Case Light Mod
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:56 am

R3dfaction wrote:Is it possible having a gamecube port of Mplayer ce?
Anything is possible, I haven't had a look at it myself, but time will tell.
Demonius

Post by Demonius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:00 pm

GameCube Mplayer ce port would be nice thing...
deku_scrub

Post by deku_scrub » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Agree.
__ deku_scrub __ Wii D3-2 | System 4.3 | HC installed using Smash Stack | WODE Jukebox
Xbox 360 Slim 4GB | 320GB Hacked HDD | x360key
Coconuts 500

Post by Coconuts 500 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 pm

I recommend the new thing - WiiMC. I've had many fewer problems with this, and it has a nice GUI which is a neat bonus.

But alas, as with Mplayer ce, I've never been able to play a dvd with WiiMC. I got the same problem with both - the dvd menu shows up, but is impossible to navigate, and behaves somewhat strangely.

OOOOMPH: http://www.wiimc.org/