Looking for a certain cable

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Cubelover

Looking for a certain cable

Post by Cubelover » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:04 pm

I want to test something and for this I need a certain cable. I have prepared a picture for this:

One end is a plug that connects to a Wiimote and the other end is a standard USB female head. Does anyone know if there is one available and if not how to build one ourselves? Thanks.
webhdx

Re: Looking for a certain cable

Post by webhdx » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:19 pm

USB and Wiimote accessory port aren't compatible, they use different communication protocols.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:29 pm

webhdx wrote:USB and Wiimote accessory port aren't compatible, they use different communication protocols.
Thanks for the reply. Well, that's a bummer. Isn't there an adapter availabe that converts between the two communication protocols?
I was hoping to get something like this, except the gamecube female head replaced with a USB female head.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Cubelover wrote:
webhdx wrote:USB and Wiimote accessory port aren't compatible, they use different communication protocols.
Thanks for the reply. Well, that's a bummer. Isn't there an adapter availabe that converts between the two communication protocols?
I was hoping to get something like this, except the gamecube female head replaced with a USB female head.
I assume you want to use any kind of usb controller on your wii U (thats how I interpreted it). The problem here is controllers are made differently and send different signals. You need something to interpret the signals and convert them too the standard that the wii u uses. It's not just a cable. It has a piece of software too. We don't know what kind of USB you want to plug in, so it's kind of hard.

It would be easier if you said exactly what you want to do, but I don't think it's possible to do what I think you want to do without making it yourself.
the game
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:15 pm

I was looking to replace the Classic Controller with a standard USB HID controller. If the USB connection works, it opens up more interesting options.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Cubelover wrote:I was looking to replace the Classic Controller with a standard USB HID controller. If the USB connection works, it opens up more interesting options.
You will need to interpret the USB signals with a chip or some software of any kind you want and convert different signals and the protocol itself. The USB has 4 pins, while the gamecube has 6(?) pins. The button signals are not universal either. An xbox controller could send button_1 signal when you press the A button, and a logitech could send button1. (This is not exactly how it is, but simplified) This means a logitech controller plugged into the xbox would send the wrong signal, and absolutely NOTHING would happen. To be honest I doubt you'll find a product for the situation since all controllers are different (mostly). Best chance is making your own, which I can't exactly do for you (I lack both equipment and knowledge in the field).
the game
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:17 am

USB HID isn't a protocol by itself, it's a standardised method for describing a protocol. So joysticks and controllers all communicate differently but use a common (but very complicated) language to tell a PC/console what to expect.