My Wii doesn't like the router....WTF?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
the_randomizer

My Wii doesn't like the router....WTF?

Post by the_randomizer » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:52 pm

Maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, heck, maybe I'm overreacting just a little bit, so I'll do my best to describe this rather odd problem. So, I've been trying to access the Wii Shopping channel for well over thirty minutes today and, well, I'm 100% convinced that this Wii and the D-link router don't get along with each other very well. No matter how many times I reset the wireless connection settings, change the encryption settings or how many times I power cycle both the wireless router and the modem, it simply does not allow me to access the shopping channel. Some people I've asked attributed it to my hacking the wii, but that doesn't make sense, and I've accessed the Wii Shopping Channel numerous times this year (I hacked the Wii nearly three years ago). I don't get any error codes either, I just reset the channel. Nope, doesn't do jack squat. To make it more confusing for me, the other two computers that run off this wireless router work perfectly fine. It can't be my router, or so I'd like to believe. Now I'm royally pissed off since I managed to add 2000 Wii points that I can no longer use, as I planned on getting something for Christmas. Had I spent $50, that would be a different story.

To recapitulate, I did the following

- Power-cycled both wireless router
- Reset the connection settings in the Wii multiple times
- Reset the Shopping Channel multiple times
- Moved the router as close as I could to the Wii
- Tried accessing the Shopping Channel over and over again

Seriously, WTF is wrong with my Wii!?

Edit 4:58 PM - Apparently, my router detects that the Wii is in fact a part of the network:
Attachments
Itsrightthere-1.jpg
(47.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by the_randomizer on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: My Wii doesn't like the router....WTF?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:00 am

Moved this to the right section.

Does the connection test complete successfully?
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:02 am

emu_kidid wrote:Moved this to the right section.

Does the connection test complete successfully?

Yep. Succeeds every time. Didn't know this was the wrong section.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 am

Have you tried updating the firmware in the router to a newer revision?

What version is the system software on the Wii?

I remember when I first got my Wii, it was running 3.2 and I had trouble connecting to the router. After I moved to 4.1. I haven't had any issues whatsoever. The router is in my basement and the Wii is in the family room on the backside of the house. Probably about 50 ft away.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:16 am

Yeah, you need to have the absolute latest Wii Shop Channel and IOS to go with it. Try that first and then see how you go.
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:42 am

Wii System - 4.3U
Shop Channel cIOS - Up to date

I ended up speaking with a Nintendo representative and asked that I check out the router and model number, etc. Also told him that the firmware was up to date and that the Wii was indeed detected on the network. After that, he had me reset the connection settings once more and,somehow, the bloody thing started working again. Whether or not this is a fluke, I don't know. Suffice to say I managed to download some VC games and it seems to be fine atm. I don't think I can trust this false sense of apparent internet connection stability. Perhaps getting a new router someday will neutralize the problem. And now I feel totally retarded for having brought up such a trivial issue. Sorry.

At least my original conclusion that the Wii's Wifi/NIC is fried no longer applies.

Homer Simpson
xGRUMPYx

Post by xGRUMPYx » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:24 am

yea i been having the same issue lately.. my opinion i think is a server problem, my wifi connection is good. it plays online games with no lags, lol but not super smash brothers Brawl, this game SUCKS at online play! even though my wifi is good, so yeah it is a server problem..
There's Heroes And There's Legends, Heroes Get Remember But Legends Never Die..