Internal SD Gecko mod tutorial?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
RedCapsMan

Internal SD Gecko mod tutorial?

Post by RedCapsMan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:42 am

Hey,

Anyone have a link to the internal gecko mod? I can't find it anywhere. All the links aren't valid anymore. I've got an SD Gecko on the way that I'll probably use on my GC, but since I was going to replace the dead drive on my Wii anyway I thought I might as well give it a shot. I was going to do it this weekend but all I can find is the pinout diagrams.

I need it spelled out for me. The original tutorial on wiinewz was pretty good as I remember.
thesund0g

Re: Internal SD Gecko mod tutorial?

Post by thesund0g » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:58 am

Match the pins and solder :D
RedCapsMan

Post by RedCapsMan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 am

Fair enough... I remember it being slightly more complicated than that.
thesund0g

Post by thesund0g » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:06 am

RedCapsMan wrote:Fair enough... I remember it being slightly more complicated than that.
Ok a bit snarky on my part. :) But in all seriousness, if you simply want to internalize a SD Gecko, you should be able to solder wires from pin to pin without much trouble. Those are pretty big pins. Might need a dremel if you want to add an external slot. Maybe drill a slot and superglue it to the case on the inside.

If you don't have experience soldering, check youtube for some useful guides. Were you wanting the front SD to act as the Gecko? Add a switch, that's about it.
Last edited by thesund0g on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RedCapsMan

Post by RedCapsMan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:23 am

thesund0g wrote:Were you wanting the front SD to act as the Gecko?
Yes, thats exactly what I want :D . I know there are some problems with the mod, as in the HBC 8 not recognizing files and some compatibility issues, but I thought if I could take a good look at the wiring I could put in a switch to turn it off. That way if it turns out to be completely useless I can turn it off and not have to open her up again to take it out! If I remember correctly there are actually points on the board that connect to the SD slot that are easier to solder to than the actual pins on the SD slot itself. I'm gonna try to contact the original guy who did this in the first place. I think I found his website, but its a modding service not a repository of guides.

With Swiss having so much potential I'm surprised more people wouldn't want to try this.

Edit: We're editing our posts at the same time! I'm a pretty experienced chip installer. If you can put a disc in it I've made it play a backup... for the most part.
Last edited by RedCapsMan on Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
thesund0g

Post by thesund0g » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:30 am

RedCapsMan wrote:
thesund0g wrote:Were you wanting the front SD to act as the Gecko?
Yes, thats exactly what I want :D . I know there are some problems with the mod, as in the HBC 8 not recognizing files and some compatibility issues, but I thought if I could take a good look at the wiring I could put in a switch to turn it off. That way if it turns out to be completely useless I can turn it off and not have to open her up again to take it out!

With Swiss having so much potential I'm surprised more people wouldn't want to try this.
If your drive is dead, you could gut the main part (leave the logic bits) and glue the SD gecko (internally) to the disc slot. Radical and messy, but it'd look fine from the outside and would be super easy to fit.
RedCapsMan

Post by RedCapsMan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:37 am

The problem with that is that Swiss needs to have a retail GC disc spinning in order to run games. At least until emu_kid figures out how to get past that. Besides, I've had a replacement drive sitting around forever waiting for me to get around to it.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 am

Have you heard about http://archive.org ? You can enter a URL there and often they have older versions of the pages, so you can try this with a tutorial website.
ct_the_1

Post by ct_the_1 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:28 pm

Ooops, posted gc version, sorry ;-)

If you don't need a step by step tutorial:

oi54.tinypic.com/2gts290.jpg

(it is from german forum project-casemod.de)
Last edited by ct_the_1 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ct_the_1 (currently very busy and rarely online)

siphoned

Post by siphoned » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Something like this?
http://forums.nintendo-scene.com/index.php?topic=955.0
Would the SD slot still function like normal for wii applications?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:24 am

Just match up the pins on this site with the internal ones in the console

http://ngc.scorpei.com/GUIDE-SD_adapter.html

Maybe install a switch on the sense line so you dont get errors if no memcard or SD is inserted.