Devolution - New GC loader for Wii with audio streaming!

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Cubelover

Devolution - New GC loader for Wii with audio streaming!

Post by Cubelover » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:31 am

I just saw this on another forum and thought I could share it here: http://gbatemp.net/topic/322284-devolut ... p__4130194

Basically it's a Gamecube Loader for Wii that plays gamecube games from SD, USB, use SD, USB and NAND as alternative memory cards, Wiimote and Classic Controller support AND supports audio streaming! It's due to release on May according to tueidj.

Oh and it only works if you have original discs because it apparently has an anti-piracy feature built-in.

So what do you think of this (especially @emu_kidid)?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Devolution - New GC loader for Wii with audio streaming!

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:33 am

I have been talking with tueidj about this but what I do won't benefit at all from his work. He's basically got GC games running in Wii mode :)
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:36 am

Ah I see. So that's perhaps the reason why he could implement Classic Controller support. Too bad that he won't share his source.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:44 am

if this is a loader for gc games in wii mode, and thats what it seems like, i don't see why he is so proud of usb loading :D
(that's right, working GC USB loading!)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
infact

Post by infact » Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:31 am

because you won't ever get usb loading in gc mode, that's why.
infact
Image Image
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:27 am

THIS is a program worth debugging.

I remember waninkoko putting an easter egg in his cIOS which booted MIOS in Wii-mode, this was very unstable. I'm wondering how he fixed this. Downclocking Broadway?

Edit: Apparently gamecube games CAN handle a different clock speed when they are told on which speed they are running.
tueidj wrote:I haven't seen any speed-related issues with any of the games I've tested. As long as the game is told what the actual speed is, it runs ok.
Last edited by KirovAir on Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:41 am

infact wrote:because you won't ever get usb loading in gc mode, that's why.
but it's pretty standard in wii mode, and that's where he is...so....?
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
Sintendo

Post by Sintendo » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:58 am

I wonder if it would help with games that have lag, such as the PAL version of Super Monkey Ball running in 60Hz on expert level 17.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Sintendo wrote:I wonder if it would help with games that have lag, such as the PAL version of Super Monkey Ball running in 60Hz on expert level 17.
Was wondering about that too... if GC games would run with a higher framerate at Wii speed. That would be a nice side-effect!
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm

Audio Streaming support seems to be coming along:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QnrGoPs8U

Definitely curious about the coding behind this....
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:03 pm

already asked, doesn't seem to be something I could pull off without immense slowdown (damn interrupt-driven I/O, I wish I had some as good as on Wii!)
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 pm

emu_kidid wrote:already asked, doesn't seem to be something I could pull off without immense slowdown (damn interrupt-driven I/O, I wish I had some as good as on Wii!)
It would be pretty cool to have all your Wii and Gamecube games playable via USB hard drive. Posted the update more because Devolution should allow Wii owner to play the Gamecube library, including the troublesome audio streaming games that don't work properly via softmodding, DML, etc.... It might even revive a bit of interest in the Gamecube back catalog.

Not sure about the idea of requiring original discs, however. Seems counterproductive, and at this point it is very difficult to buy GC games at retail anyway, as the system is unsupported and over a decade old now.
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:04 am

noobcube wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:already asked, doesn't seem to be something I could pull off without immense slowdown (damn interrupt-driven I/O, I wish I had some as good as on Wii!)
It would be pretty cool to have all your Wii and Gamecube games playable via USB hard drive. Posted the update more because Devolution should allow Wii owner to play the Gamecube library, including the troublesome audio streaming games that don't work properly via softmodding, DML, etc.... It might even revive a bit of interest in the Gamecube back catalog.

Not sure about the idea of requiring original discs, however. Seems counterproductive, and at this point it is very difficult to buy GC games at retail anyway, as the system is unsupported and over a decade old now.
That's what Amazon and Ebay are for. You can find used games for really low prices.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:56 am

the_randomizer wrote:That's what Amazon and Ebay are for. You can find used games for really low prices.
Sure, but the developers see nothing from that... and the next gen looks as if it is going to require online activation and ban used games. IMO, this is bad for the end user. Intellectual property needs a serious rethink.

Still excited to see Devolution in action....
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:38 pm

Well, you can bet your ass that Nintendo will sell Gamecube games on the Wii U's Nintendo Network. If everybody is going to buy used GC games because of Devolution, would you think that they are willing to purchase the same Games on the Wii U? I definitely look more forward to Wii U's paid download service. Metroid Prime on a Wii U tablet controller? Yes please! :D
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sat May 05, 2012 8:25 am

Looks like crediar finally found a way to make DIOS MIOS work with USB:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpTOQJ7rJVY

No word on audio streaming, so Devolution might be the way to go for that....