Devolution has been released

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
noobcube

Devolution has been released

Post by noobcube » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Hey Everyone,

Devolution, a USB loader for GC games, is now available for download: http://gbatemp.net/topic/330554-devolut ... c-release/

While it does not yet have 100% compatibility, I can confirm that audio streaming is working with Star Fox Adventures and Eternal Darkness; both games appear to work flawlessly.
gcpro

Re: Devolution has been released

Post by gcpro » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:01 pm

OH GOD o_o
2 NGC ; Qoob Pro ; Wiikey Sd Adapter + 8GB SDHC
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:41 pm

Pff, the warez system which needs the original disk. I wonder how much profit Nintendo makes from 10-year old GC-games these days :shock:.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
M tha MaN

Post by M tha MaN » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:47 am

It works good.

I already tested it.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:23 pm

Meh, ToS has some sort of graphic layer issues which are not present with Swiss.
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Cubelover wrote:Meh, ToS has some sort of graphic layer issues which are not present with Swiss.
Some games have palette issues due to how the Wii handles the gamecube hardware. And while I have original disc, I'm not sure how well the laser will read them.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
infact

Post by infact » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:56 pm

nice stuff! looks like it fakes some hardware ids to make the game think it runs on development hardware. so it can tell the game to use only mem 1 and only needs to redirect aram access to mem2. because of the faster cpu it can handle much stuff (sd reads and such) in the background and provide a decent speed. all in all another nice work by tueidj!
infact
Image Image
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:45 pm

infact wrote:nice stuff! looks like it fakes some hardware ids to make the game think it runs on development hardware. so it can tell the game to use only mem 1 and only needs to redirect aram access to mem2. because of the faster cpu it can handle much stuff (sd reads and such) in the background and provide a decent speed. all in all another nice work by tueidj!
I am definitely curious to know more about how Devolution works. So if you have any other observations, please share them!

BTW, while Devolution's audio streaming feature appears to be working well, the anti-piracy disc authentication subroutine seems to be having some troubles validating retail discs, meaning that those games will not load. Most of the games I've tried seem to be running normally. Some have rendering issues which will hopefully be worked out in future builds. I'm also wondering if the higher clock speeds for the CPU/GPU might speed up the frame rates in certain games, or at least help keep them from dropping in complex scenes.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:04 am

I am quite happy with this release, when the compatibility improves I might take my WODE out and use it on GC.

So far tested and working:

Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Timesplitters 2

Not working:
Megaman Anniversary Collection
Timesplitters Future Perfect

Real shame he's not interested in adding progressive scan support for PAL games, and no wide screen either.
Also while virtual memory card is a nice feature I'd like it to be optional.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:23 pm

AC_Orange wrote:Real shame he's not interested in adding progressive scan support for PAL games, and no wide screen either.
Also while virtual memory card is a nice feature I'd like it to be optional.
My impression is of a bit of an attitude of "my way or the highway". Other loaders (like Wiiflow) have an option to allow the use of regular memory cards.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:55 pm

It's his software. He can do what he likes.

At any rate, I'm pretty sure I saw that he released the source or something. So if someone were so inclined they could add features in that people want.

Anyway, pretty neat release.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:31 pm

While the source for the loader has been released, the application itself is closed source.
infact

Post by infact » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:16 am

yes, the loader is open, you can disable the virtual memcard feature there...

on a sidenote: the disc verification process can be hacked. so no real warez protection unfortunately... :(
infact
Image Image
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:37 am

infact wrote:yes, the loader is open, you can disable the virtual memcard feature there...

on a sidenote: the disc verification process can be hacked. so no real warez protection unfortunately... :(
Technically, any piece of software can be hacked.... From what I gather, the programmer seems to think that no one will be able to hack Devolution.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:18 am

I wouldn't bother, I know what effort he's gone to :P

You're better off writing your own.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:09 pm

hmm... somebody claimed that somebody else already hacked this ô.o
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:47 am

Cubelover wrote:hmm... somebody claimed that somebody else already hacked this ô.o
Then that person should release information on the so-called "decryption".
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:13 am

What do I need to compile the source?
(Want to use real memory cards)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 am

Just libOGC + devkitPPC. There are builds on gbatemp floating around with it already done and I believe some of the larger loaders have already started to integrate devolution as an engine with the option for virtual vs real memcards.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:57 am

Thanks!
Might try wiiflow and I have found a precompiled copy that uses real memory cards
I would like to compile my own too
GolfDude

Post by GolfDude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:55 am

hey tue, when i use devo 200 on my wii, the gc games ask if i want progressive scan, now on the wiiu, there was a system update today (3.1), if i try to play the gc rips on my wiiu, the gc games wont ask about progressive scan .. the games run fine, but the games wont prompt for progressive scan.. any idea whats going on?

(now when i boot into wii mode on wiiu, my tv tells me its in progressive mode already, so maybe its already set in the gc mode as well, is that why its not asking?, b/c its already set on progressive?)
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:55 am

You have to hold B while booting a supported game to make the progressive mode prompt show up. Once you've activated 480p mode for any game the prompt will always show up, until you say no (then it must be manually activated again by holding B again). It works the same as an original gamecube.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:18 am

tueidj I believe a while ago you said something about mapping Z to plus and using a separate digital button (like R on a CCpro) for a "light press" on the GC R-button analog while having another button (like ZR on a CCpro) be the "full press" like it currently is.

What ever happened to said control scheme? I think it would have worked better for certain games, like Mario Sunshine.

EDIT: Said control scheme would also work better for most FPS games because accidentally pressing L on the CCpro or Pro controller is pretty much suicide. In particular it to my father during a deathmatch in 007 Nightfire - he died twice over before we figured out what the issue was, and the issue occurred even though he knew not to press the L button.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 am

There's really no reason to put your finger on L (or move it away from ZL) unless you intend to press it. Mapping a button to "light press" doesn't work because individual games interpret the values differently.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:16 am

So, hypothetically speaking, if we say the GC analog L & R have a range of 0-255, it wouldn't work to have the CCpro L and R just send a GC L/R analog value of 127?