Devolution has been released

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: Devolution has been released

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:59 am

megalomaniac wrote:Maybe you and your entire family should switch to Atari or even Pong if all this seems to be getting too complicated...
I have an Atari and Pong that was in fact my parents. Those systems had consistent setting and option control across all games. ;)
tueidj wrote:I'm not flat out saying "I'm right and you're wrong", I have explained the reasons behind it several times. Have you relayed them to your father so his opinion is as well educated as mine?
We have only played the game that one time, and since I was paying attention to their own feedback not to mention wanting to keep them waiting to start the game, I wasn't really giving them any of yours other than the basic "to prevent wiimotes from assigning themselves to incorrect controller slots".

I hope to elaborate on your reasoning when we/they play the game next time, but who knows how long it'll be until then. (my parent's videogame-playing habits are quite random)

In the meantime, I propose a much lighter topic of discussion. I noticed that through your coding voodoo in Devolution that it will automatically change the shoulder button control mapping if you switch from an original classic controller to the classic controller pro in the middle of a game. However, I noticed that if you switch from a classic controller pro to an original classic controller in the middle of a game, the shoulder button control mapping will NOT be changed.

I assume this is a bug, but I've been hesitant to bring it up because for a specific game (Nintendo Puzzle Collection) I actually prefer the GC's L and R to be mapped to the original classic controller's ZL and ZR, and I currently use said bug to "enable" such a button configuration. Considering you have implemented two different mappings for shoulder buttons, wouldn't it be possible to have an option to force which shoulder button setting to use similar to the current 1:1 button mapping setting?
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:42 pm

tueidj: now that you have explained the verification process next time I start verifying games I'm thinking about having two wiimotes synced. When I'm done I will resync one of those wiimotes to my second Wii and this will allow me to play my backups from the same hdd on both Wii's. Can you please confirm, just want to get this right.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:03 am

Yes. Just make sure the wiimotes are connected before you insert each disc. I put that in the readme but people keep ignoring it and connecting the wiimotes after the verification process has started, then wondering why it doesn't work when they move to a different wii.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 am

So uh... no comments regarding the L/R and ZL/ZR button switching issue?
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:28 am

tueidj wrote:Yes. Just make sure the wiimotes are connected before you insert each disc. I put that in the readme but people keep ignoring it and connecting the wiimotes after the verification process has started, then wondering why it doesn't work when they move to a different wii.
Thanks, sorry I should've downloaded the new devolution, didn't know it came with a readme file.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Darn it, I seemed to have chased tueidj away from this topic... *sigh*

Well, if he's lurking, I've had a week or so to rest my head and I've come up with a compromise idea that does not reduce or eliminate the "home button functionality" in any way whatsoever, but can help with already-off wiimotes as well.

It however requires moving the functionality for the A & B buttons when used with Home to the 1 & 2 buttons.

The idea is to map the wiimote A and/or B buttons to work as "connect" buttons, similarly to how the Home button works in Devolution when a wiimote is on but not connected. I say similarly because it would also actually connect to the Wii as well when the wiimote is turned on via pressing A and/or B, but I don't know if it is actually technically possible for the system to know what button was pressed just to turn a wiimote on.

If it isn't possible, then an alternative idea would be to allow the wiimote to automatically sync if A and/or B is being held down during the time that the wiimote turns on and is waiting for the user to press Home (currently if you hold the home button down on a wiimote that's off, it will NOT sync once the wiimote has finished turning on).

If THAT is not possible, then at the very least consider making A and/or B do the exact same thing as the Home button when a wiimote is turned on but isn't synced. This also means if the user were to press A and/or B when a wiimote is already synced, it will NOT desync - the user must press the Home button in such case.