Alternative to Hori Gameboy Player gamepad?

Talk about games you've played, new games coming out, console hardware, etc..
XC-3730C

Alternative to Hori Gameboy Player gamepad?

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:45 am

As we all know, the Hori gamepad designed for the Gameboy Player is the best due to it's SNES style design, and excellent D-pad, and that the Gamecube D-pad is too small and stiff.

Are there any worthy, cost effective alternatives with a good D-pad? The Hori gamepad is often $100-$150 on ebay, which I really don't want to pay.
Diminuendo

Re: Alternative to Hori Gameboy Player gamepad?

Post by Diminuendo » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:58 am

A strong alternate would be a wireless Classic Controller (the kind that plugs into a wii remote) and a Wii to Gamecube adapter.

I'd suggest a wireless Nyko Wing if you can track one down
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:45 pm

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

I have this and its amazing with an original SNES controller
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Alternative to Hori Gameboy Player gamepad?

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:57 pm

paulness15 wrote:http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

I have this and its amazing with an original SNES controller
I considered that one, but the page don't say what the mappings are...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:30 pm

Take a look at the "Links & Downloads" section. There is a document with the mapping there.

The adapter is open source and you could build it yourself.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:34 pm

It sucks because for SNES, there is no select. Why there aren't 2 SNES mappings where you could keep Select as Select escapes me...but I guess I could live with it, considering Select is mapped to Y
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:17 pm

I´m using a playstation 1 with adapter and is the best to play emulators
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:04 pm

Aressi,

What adapter are you using?

Aressi

Post by Aressi » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:20 pm

XC-3730C wrote:What adapter are you using?
A generic one, works for xbox/gamecube/usb, works on ps3 and android
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:21 am

I got a PS2 to GC Nyko converter, but it doesn't seem to work with the Gameboy Player

Aressi

Post by Aressi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:13 pm

Mine is working fine on all games and homebrew
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Alternative to Hori Gameboy Player gamepad?

Post by XC-3730C » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:14 pm

Aressi wrote:Mine is working fine on all games and homebrew
[img]http://i.imgur.com/5sD0cGW.jpg[/img]
Where did you get that? Have you tried it with the Gameboy Player?

Aressi

Post by Aressi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:30 pm

I bought many years ago in Mexico, I never tried with game boy player disc but works perfect with game boy interface
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:05 pm

I'm looking for a controller to play competitive Tetris, since the gamecubes' ones are not good at that, you sometimes don't feel when you push for diagonals.
Also, playing with the SNES emulator feels so awkward with the GC's buttons setup.

What about a Wii Classic controller adapter and a Snes Mini controller?

I found that for the adapter: http://www.hkems.com/product/nintendo/0803.htm
Remember seeing their products back then at Lik-Sang, but don't know if they are still in business, 'cause the site seems so lame, but some products are not that old.

And for the controller, are aliexpress SNES Controllers any good, or should I rely on official products?

Does somebody already uses such a combination? How good is it, in term of precision on the D-pad, input lag…
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 pm

Hi all, I finally tried to do what I wanted to explore when I posted: improving GameCube Controller D-pad.

Well, in fact, I did this on a chinese knockoff Gamepad, but this may apply to Official ones.

The problem that makes unintentionnal diagonals is the rubber "switches" are pressed too early when you press one of the four straight directions. The solution that came to me is to put a little bit of plastic under the rounded part of the cross, thick enough to prevent the unintended diagonal to happen, but thin enough to allow intentionnal ones.
So dive into the garbage dump and look for any blisters, plastic eat containers (yogurt…), then get out that nasty paper hole puncher, a double-faced adhesive tape, and you're good to go.

I did with a meat blister, and it's nice, it may be perfect when i'll get the adhesive tape off and put a bit of cyano glue instead to make that mod definitive.

I tried it with Zelda to test for diagonals, then enjoyed that with a Tetris session. 8-)

I'll try later on officials, maybe a very thin piece of paper, or thick adhesive tape may be enough for them.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Haydinho

Post by Haydinho » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:35 am

Raphnet Wii to GCN adaptor with SN30PRO Pro
Attachments
C36C21CF-CC77-4985-921E-1B7A6F5AEEE8.jpeg
(2.73 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Lone_Beagle

Post by Lone_Beagle » Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:38 am

Papy.G wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:44 pm
Hi all, I finally tried to do what I wanted to explore when I posted: improving GameCube Controller D-pad.

Well, in fact, I did this on a chinese knockoff Gamepad, but this may apply to Official ones.

The problem that makes unintentionnal diagonals is the rubber "switches" are pressed too early when you press one of the four straight directions. The solution that came to me is to put a little bit of plastic under the rounded part of the cross, thick enough to prevent the unintended diagonal to happen, but thin enough to allow intentionnal ones.
So dive into the garbage dump and look for any blisters, plastic eat containers (yogurt…), then get out that nasty paper hole puncher, a double-faced adhesive tape, and you're good to go.

I did with a meat blister, and it's nice, it may be perfect when i'll get the adhesive tape off and put a bit of cyano glue instead to make that mod definitive.

I tried it with Zelda to test for diagonals, then enjoyed that with a Tetris session. 8-)

I'll try later on officials, maybe a very thin piece of paper, or thick adhesive tape may be enough for them.
Nice! I'd be interested in seeing a photo. Ages ago...I bought a Neo Geo Pocket Color game called "Crush Roller" ... basically it was a Pac-Man clone, where you had to move up/down, left/right but *never* diagonal. They packed along with the cart a plastic ring to put around your thumbstick so that you would only move up/down, left/right. I was shocked...what a great idea! I wondered, How come other games didn't do that?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:08 am

The picture won't show much more than a little round plastic sheet stuck in the middle of the four contacts.
One sheet of kapton tape was the thicker i could get to be usable on the original ones.
On the 3 chinese knockoffs I have, the parts are not very accurate among different batches, and I had to go for thinner than I first did, my kid wasn't able to trigger the right direction, and sometimes neither did I.
With those, it will be a matter of try and miss to adjust, I'll have to open the controller once more and turn the cross 90°, the problem is that the PCB isn't tighly kept in place, sometimes it is hard to get it fit when closing the thing.
With the same thickness, I have the pink and white working well, while still having issues with the purple one.

LarzIsReal

Post by LarzIsReal » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:07 pm

Haydinho wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:35 am
Raphnet Wii to GCN adaptor with SN30PRO Pro
Is this the 8BitDo Retro Receiver?
- Larz is real