Wii64 discussion?

All Wii64 related discussions here
nakata

Wii64 discussion?

Post by nakata » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:33 pm

Since the other thread got locked due to the antics of some unhealthily persistent folks, i (foolishly?) open this thread to inquire and talk about Wii64/Not64, from possible recommendations of games that play well and on what settings, technical suggestions for better compatibility etc.

BTW, to the usual suspects, please STOP complaining about lack of updates, you' ve made your voice heard many MANY times already.
We have been told that the project is still being worked on, so if that is not enough for you, please abandon this thread. Thank God, it's not like you do not have many other options (PC emus, Android emus, real N64 console & games, N64 flashcards etc). Enjoy those in the meantime...

---------------------------------------------------------
Onwards...

I noticed that some graphic plugins like glide64 correctly render the skybox in GoldenEye or the corona lights in Perfect Dark on mupen64 for PC and android. Would it be possible for Wii64 to incorporate that plugin (even optionally, as a separate build) since it is also based on mupen64 IIRC?
Ploggy

Re: Wii64 discussion?

Post by Ploggy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:55 pm

I recently got back into playing wii64 and I have to say Iv'e forgotten how good the Emulator is. :)
Iv'e just finished playing Majoras mask and started Ocarina of time, ofcourse there are slight texture issues on both but it's easily playable and fullspeed so thanks to all involved in making this awesome Emulator and may even more awesome stuff follow :)
nakata

Post by nakata » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 pm

Yep! Also, since i am on a PAL Wii, both OoT and Majora's mask play faster on Not64 for me (60hz) than the VC wads. There are some visual glitches like the sky in 2nd day of MM for example, but savestates, 60Hz and controls (wiimote & nunchuck ftw) make me prefer Not64.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:36 pm

I must say I get relatively far in Majoras Mask and then lose my save file due to working on too many things at the same time and formatting my SD card accidentally :\

I've finished Goldeneye too (WIP code that made it playable), but I'd really like to play Conkers Bad Fur Day one day..
Ploggy

Post by Ploggy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:00 pm

My dream is to play dk64 at 100% speed/compatibility on the Wii but seeing as it doesn't play on PC's 100% I doubt that it's possible.
But I guess I could settle for CGFD :P or maybe those Tex packs :P
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:00 am

DK64 certainly plays 100% on PC with a few hacks, and it should play well enough once we're done.
CreepyReznor

Post by CreepyReznor » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 am

speaking of DK64, I managed to beat the game with 96%, sadly the game did not let me collect the banana fairies(possibly a emulation bug).
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:12 am

MY dream is to be able to play nba hangtime/showtime on wii64. oh how good would that be guys?
Ploggy

Post by Ploggy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:36 am

emu_kidid wrote:DK64 certainly plays 100% on PC with a few hacks, and it should play well enough once we're done.

There's an annoying random bug where if you climb tree's in a certain way the character glitches out of the screen and places you back at the beginning of the stage :( plus I there's also a bug where the character's model would stretch randomly. while none of the these bugs make the game unplayable it's a pain in the arris if you've collected most of the banana's and get chucked back to the beginning of the stage just to collect them again.

Also there's the camera rest bug but I think that's fixable :P
chuck

Post by chuck » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:23 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I must say I get relatively far in Majoras Mask and then lose my save file due to working on too many things at the same time and formatting my SD card accidentally :\

I've finished Goldeneye too (WIP code that made it playable), but I'd really like to play Conkers Bad Fur Day one day..
So, in this next release we will not play Conkers Bad Fur Day? What about the others games by rare? like banjo 1 and 2, blast corps and Donkey kong...

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this next release. Who knows in cristmas :D Thanks for wii64 ;)
saintcroix92

Post by saintcroix92 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:02 pm

chuck wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:I must say I get relatively far in Majoras Mask and then lose my save file due to working on too many things at the same time and formatting my SD card accidentally :\

So, in this next release we will not play Conkers Bad Fur Day? What about the others games by rare? like banjo 1 and 2, blast corps and Donkey kong...

I thank you from the bottom of my heart for this next release. Who knows in cristmas :D Thanks for wii64 ;)
It could just be that emu_kidid doesn't have a copy of Conker's Bad Fur Day.

On another note, I beat Kaizo Mario 64 on Wii64. Yeah, I'll bet not too many people have beaten that. ;)
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers on his bus." - Jack Handey
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:41 am

Just out of curiosity, why would you run Majora's through Wii64, instead of using Zelda Collector's edition?

Has anyone been able to run any other N64 games with the emulator on the Collector's edition game disk?

Also, does the fact that you can do that mean that true expansion pak support is a potentiality for Cube64?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:01 am

Expansion pak for Cube64 is very possible, it just means a reduction of other things that give it a performance boost such as a reduction to the texture cache and the recompiled code cache.

I'd say keep the Zelda Collectors edition n64 emulator talk out of here though, soon people will start posting links to rom packs and the like if you pursue this discussion. The compatibility has been pretty well discussed, whatever will play on it has probably already been made into a GCM/ISO image someplace.
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Nukatha wrote:Has anyone been able to run any other N64 games with the emulator on the Collector's edition game disk?
Only a few games are working, Not64 have better compatibility
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:49 am

surprisingly, Goldeneye x runs just about flawlessly on not64 compared to the original goldeneye AND perfect dark. :/ i find that kind of odd lol
julius

Post by julius » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:24 pm

Really? Could you please tell me your settings in cube64, I´d like make that game to work but when I load the rom and push play the game the game freezes.
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:53 pm

julius wrote:Really? Could you please tell me your settings in cube64, I´d like make that game to work but when I load the rom and push play the game the game freezes.

im not using cube64. im using not64.
julius

Post by julius » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:36 pm

Sorry,my bad. I´m using not64 on a gamecube, so what is your configuration to run the game?
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:14 pm

julius wrote:Sorry,my bad. I´m using not64 on a gamecube, so what is your configuration to run the game?

well the latest release i just turn off scale pitch and im good to go! im using the wii version of not64
julius

Post by julius » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:42 pm

LaidCUE wrote:
julius wrote:Sorry,my bad. I´m using not64 on a gamecube, so what is your configuration to run the game?

well the latest release i just turn off scale pitch and im good to go! im using the wii version of not64
Tried the turnig scale pithc off option on my gamecube and no results. Switched from dynarec to pure interpreter and works, but is a hell slow, unplayable. Hope next releaes of cube64 and (although this is not the correct thread) cubesx let us play more and more games and solve many issues of previous versions not because this is a gamecube related site, I say THE gamecube related site, but because we know emu_kidid is compromised with gamecube scene, not like other homebrew developers that publish their emulator for a lot of consoles and in most of them works very good but gc version do not work properly because it requires a little more effort and they do not want to dedicate a little more time to a console they consider is ´´dead´´. Thanks for your hard work guys.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:15 am

Yeah yeah, wait for the next version, we put some effort into Cube64 this time.
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:47 am

emu_kidid wrote:Yeah yeah, wait for the next version, we put some effort into Cube64 this time.

see? now its the best of both worlds! :D thanks emukidid.
majoraswrath

Post by majoraswrath » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:00 am

Hi, first want to say that I really love your work.
I use your emulator for games that didn't get ported to next gen consoles, be it on disc or in a virtual store or whatever.

But "snowboard kids" isn't available in that way. Still hoping it comes someday.

So I'm forced to use my old N64 (with worn out controllers) or a PC (which just sucks).

Now snowboard kids 2 works perfectly on the emulator.
But snowboard kids 1 sadly has music lag and seems to run a bit on the slow side.

I tried all the settings and combination. But nothing seems to help much.
Now I was wondering is there a way I can chance a file so it just plays the music faster?

Like I said the gameplay is a little bit slow but doable. But the music just kills the mood.

Thanks in advance for your reply and efforts.
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:09 am

emu_kidid wrote:Yeah, yeah, wait for the next version... we put some effort into Cube64 this time.
sorry, cant belive that. N64 emulation is one of the worst emulation to date. I know it is still not good documented but still...The only good progression so far is MarathonMans Cen64. The N64 had some really nice games and i really dont know why the N64 emulation still sux as hell!
It has a meaning when the Big Bang Theory says "poorly coded N64 emulators"
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:34 am

Did I say it would be a cycle accurate N64 emulator like cen64? I said "we put some effort into Cube64 this time", which means it won't be a Wii emulator that "happens" to work on GameCube too, there are GameCube specific optimisations this time around that have gone into it.

Wii64 is based on mupen64, so only expect it to be as good as that was and possibly some small improvements. The N64 is a complex beast, HLE emulation can never do it complete justice, but it's all we have to go by for the purpose of this since the Wii isn't exactly a super computer.