Not64 - an experimental modification

All Wii64 related discussions here
Munchystamp

Re: Not64 - an experimental modification

Post by Munchystamp » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Hey Extrems, I hate to bother you, but are you planning on adding compatibility for any games anytime soon? I just downloaded Wii64 today hoping to play Conker's Bad Fur Day and Jet Force Gemini, but Conker doesnt work at all and Jet Force Gemini has a lot of graphical issues. >~<
nakata

Post by nakata » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Hey Munchystamp, Jet force Gemini is quite playable already with the following settings:

video
FB textures-->on

audio
speed limit:fps
scale pitch:off

controls
preferably use wiimote & nunchuck to simulate the N64 controller (wiimote d-pad=4c buttons on N64, wiimote B,A= N64 R,A nunchuck Z=N64 Z, nunchuck C=N64 B).

Btw there is a complete Not64 savegame for JFG posted on page 10, load it up along with the game and every planet and weapon will be unlocked.

As for Conker, the latest version boots the game but it doesn't reach gameplay yet. Here's hoping to eventually get there :)
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Cool, looks like this emulator came to a halt as well. Sweet.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
nakata

Post by nakata » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:31 pm

C'mon man, no need to be a Debbie Downer, i'm sure we 'll eventually get an update.
Even then, i personally am MORE than happy with the current build, i count 129 games playable so far in my wii64 rom folder.

Added after testing in the last days:
Fifa 99
Dragon Sword 64 (unreleased, demo)
Wayne Gretzky Hockey 98
Wayne Gretzky Hockey 64
Dezaemon 3D (J)
Custom Robo (J)
Fire Electric Pen (J)
Jeopardy!
Virtual Pool 64
Waialae Country Club - True Golf Classics

Total is now 129 as said before, really nice so far.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:56 am

Damn, just to think that I downloaded, combined and even started to create custom textures of N64 games by myself just so I could run them with the new release of Wii64.

Poor hopeful child I am. T-T
Vague Rant

Post by Vague Rant » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 am

nakata, thanks for that link about Tamiya Racing, I'd never heard of it, but it looks great. Like a modern (oh crap I'm old) take on R.C. Pro Am. Can't wait to give it a try.

the_randomizer, could you please stop being an unhelpful jerk everywhere you go on the Internet? All you know how to do is be useless and ungrateful. It's really shitty. If you're not happy with the Wii homebrew scene, you're welcome to do something about it; by which I mean something more than complaining. Thanks.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:23 pm

Random thought - the_randomizer, you wouldn't happen to be mudlord would you?
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:33 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Random thought - the_randomizer, you wouldn't happen to be mudlord would you?
Hell no. I live in the US, not Australia or the UK.

If you're wondering about my negative posts, I'll be glad to full you in. For started, emukidid says he's going to release the emulator by X date but at the last second decides to go on a 45-day vacation in the States. Then Extrems doesn't update the emulator, and frankly, I was looking forward to a new release, one that fixes interpreter core bugs for games like Hybrid Heaven. Now both have gone silent and haven't so much as said a word. Seriously, as for emukidid, I have a friendly piece of advice for him that might prove beneficial for his future release, don't make promises you can't keep.

To make matters worse, when he gets back, he'll probably utter something like "now that I've come back after a nice long vacation, I've decided cease work on Wii64 and WiiSX and close the source code lol". He cock-teased us and it pisses me off. Again, he shouldn't make promises he can't keep! Either announce it and release it on the day or not announce and it and release it outta the blue.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:11 pm

Here's what I'm willing to do:
  • Merge recent RSP HLE changes from Mupen64Plus.
  • Rewrite RSP HLE using paired singles.
nakata wrote:speed limit:fps
These settings shouldn't be used together.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Extrems wrote:These settings shouldn't be used together.
Why not? I find the pitch change to be much more noticeable than the buzz-saw sound effect.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Audio synchronization isn't guaranteed.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Oh, well for the games I play that hardly matters. (Rush 2, California Speed, GoldenEye X, BattleTanx Global Assault)

Also I figured out why I would have so much trouble with custom controls - the "customize buttons" does NOT automatically switch to and load the controller profile that has been set to automatically load! You may want to consider changing this if you can...

EDIT: Wait...the heck? I cannot confirm this just yet, but from preliminary testing it would seem that Button Config slots 1 and 3 will not automatically load when the meta.xml file explicitly says to load it. Auto-loading Slot 2 works however and I don't know about slot 4 yet.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:25 am

Randomizer, when in the world are you going to get it through your thick skull that NO ONE OWES YOU ANYTHING, period. When you reach an age over 12 maybe you'll start to understand this. Since you've pissed me off again with your constant complaining I'm just going to skip the two week ban and make it permanent immediately. Seeing as how I've never seen you contribute anything, and only piss and moan and whine constantly, I seriously doubt anyone around here will miss you much.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:18 am

hehe
all of you guys are too nice....i would have banned him a long time ago...
but ban doesnt keep him quiet...he will just make a puppet and keep on posting
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
APE992

Post by APE992 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:17 pm

the_randomizer wrote:
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Random thought - the_randomizer, you wouldn't happen to be mudlord would you?
Hell no. I live in the US, not Australia or the UK.

If you're wondering about my negative posts, I'll be glad to full you in. For started, emukidid says he's going to release the emulator by X date but at the last second decides to go on a 45-day vacation in the States. Then Extrems doesn't update the emulator, and frankly, I was looking forward to a new release, one that fixes interpreter core bugs for games like Hybrid Heaven. Now both have gone silent and haven't so much as said a word. Seriously, as for emukidid, I have a friendly piece of advice for him that might prove beneficial for his future release, don't make promises you can't keep.

To make matters worse, when he gets back, he'll probably utter something like "now that I've come back after a nice long vacation, I've decided cease work on Wii64 and WiiSX and close the source code lol". He cock-teased us and it pisses me off. Again, he shouldn't make promises he can't keep! Either announce it and release it on the day or not announce and it and release it outta the blue.
Some massive entitlement issues there kiddo.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:11 pm

megalomaniac wrote:hehe
all of you guys are too nice....i would have banned him a long time ago...
but ban doesnt keep him quiet...he will just make a puppet and keep on posting
I IP banned him also, so unless he's more clever than I think I doubt he'll be bothering us. If by some slim chance he is that clever, I'll just continue banning his mules.
Shermdog17

Post by Shermdog17 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:57 pm

As a long time lurker and very first time poster, I signed up just to say...thank you Ashen. For the love of god, thank you.
Every forum I go to that guy is there crapping it up with his endless flaming nonsense.
Lets all hope the rest of the forums follow suit.

Devs do things when they have the time/ambition/desire....MOST of us have lives after all....
Taking a steaming turd on them day in and day out is not the way to inspire progress.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 am

Speaking of devs, I did some more testing and I'm still having MAJOR problems getting control profiles to auto-load. From some more testing it would seem that I can only get the 2nd control profile to auto-load via the meta.xml when launching a game (called profile "1" in the meta.xml however due to values being 0-3). However, I still cannot say for certain if this is due to something in my config.xml or a bug in Not64.

Next time I test I'll try using a clean copy of Not64 on an unused SD card/USB drive to determine if a borked config.xml file and the like is the cause or not.
XICO2KX

Post by XICO2KX » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:28 am

Extrems wrote:
That should take a lot of work but could result in a large speed boost! :D
+1 on that new feature! ;)
nakata

Post by nakata » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Hey Nintendo Maniac 64, i have that issue on WiiSX, configs are not saved no matter what. Thankfully Wii64 config works like a charm. Could it be an issue with your .cfg files in your SD card?
Extrems wrote:Here's what I'm willing to do:
  • Merge recent RSP HLE changes from Mupen64Plus.
Pardon me for asking, what would those settings translate to as far as performance goes?
Extrems wrote:
nakata wrote:speed limit:fps
These settings shouldn't be used together.
Thanks for the heads up.
From experience i found this combo to be the best for speed overall, in intensive games like Perfect Dark or Jet Force Gemini. The sound only desynchronizes in the menus for a few seconds, personally i don't mind. However it is an issue for all other people, so you are correct.
Vague Rant wrote:nakata, thanks for that link about Tamiya Racing, I'd never heard of it, but it looks great. Like a modern (oh crap I'm old) take on R.C. Pro Am. Can't wait to give it a try.
It's good, works fine on Not64, but it is only a demo. Hopefully ReVolt will be playable too one day. Btw if you like these games you should check an old PSone game called RC de Go, it plays great on WiiSX
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:13 pm

nakata wrote:Hey Nintendo Maniac 64, i have that issue on WiiSX, configs are not saved no matter what. Thankfully Wii64 config works like a charm. Could it be an issue with your .cfg files in your SD card?
This is precisely why I haven't really blamed Not64 for my issues because I haven't yet tested with a clean copy of Not64.
nakata

Post by nakata » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:43 pm

I just noticed that the latest update points to a date of 8th of April 2013. I downloaded it and tested it with some of the games not yet working, Castlevania 64 runs a bit faster now (in interpreter mode) but slows down a lot during the presence of multiple enemies. Also the first giant skeleton boss had it's torso not showing. Bomberman 64 and Second Attack still hang unfortunately.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:15 am

New version? I'll definitely have to test out GoldenEye X again since it runs like Perfect Dark does in hi-res mode on a real non-overclocked N64. :P

On a random note, how realistic would it be to have mapping the X and/or Y axis of the analog stick to the Wiimote's accelerometor and/or gyroscrope to have Mario Kart Wii-esque steering in something like Rush 2?
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:43 pm

i tried not64 today and i am realy impressed.
Last time when i tried Wii64, it was horrible and didnt run anything very good or not at all.
Today i tried a few roms and most worked and the speed was also quite good.

I tried:
Blastcorps NTSC >> runs great and seems to have almost no gfx glitches. I cant compare however since i never played that game on the N64 back then.
Killer Instinct Gold 1.2 NTSC >> wow great speed but it has huge problems with the Menu GFX and it shows no skys in the level. I guess this requires just a few minor fixes.
Goldeneye NTSC >> It is playable but it has problems with the sky and some speed issues. Needs some fixing but i am happy to see it on my Wii.
Perfect Dark NTSC >> it starts but has speed issues and crashed hard. But i think thats fixable. I am also happy to see it finally on my Wii.
Goemon 64 NTSC >> it starts but wont go ingame. Has speed issues. (Probably more or less the same as on the PC) Needs some fixing.
Turok NTSC >> some GFX errors. Good Speed.
Turok 2 NTSC >> Does not start
Turok 3 NTSC >> Starts in interpreter but has problems with LOW RES Mode Speed Issues, needs fixing.
Sin and Punishment NTSC >> plays quite well but has some GFX errors. Speed seems 100% GFX Needs some Minor fixing.
Star Wars Shadows of the Empire NTSC >> starts but crashes on Titlescreen
Star Wars Rogue Squadron >> does not start at all

I think a good way to improve the emulator would be to optimize per Game. That is how Nintendo did it with their N64 Virtual Console Games.
This is also the reason that there are not many.
Maybe it would make sense to work out a games priority list.
For many people games like Goldeneye or the RARE Games in general are very important so mybe start with them.
Anyway would it be possible to include a Game "Autodetection" so when i know gamecode is loaded it changes the seetings of the EMU to what the game needs in order play it in an optimal way?

@Extrems thanks, way to go mate! :)
papermanzero

Post by papermanzero » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:08 am

Just a short question, hopefully somebody could help:
Is it possible to delete the Virtual Memory on the Nand after the usage of Not64?
Will it be deleted automatically?