Not64 - an experimental modification

All Wii64 related discussions here
the_randomizer

Re: Not64 - an experimental modification

Post by the_randomizer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:22 pm

emu_kidid wrote:*throws fuel to the fire*

the_randomizer come on, get over it already... we've made improvements, just nothing worthy of a release, you know how it goes!
Tell that to the skeptics on the Emulatemii blog. Worthy of an update or not, how are people supposed to believe that it's still being worked on after months of silence? With the Wii U being out and all, how were we supposed to know that didn't make you guys lose interest in development? I mean yeah, we don't expect a release every six months, just a little reminder that the project wasn't killed off or that you guys pulled a Martin Korth or what have you. Anyway, I'm done being a f***ing retard to you guys. :oops:

Not only did I act like a stupid dick and call the developers out and being impatient, but a ban is most definitely imminent. I think I see the guillotine over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_mr9zU99oU
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 am

the skeptics can believe what they want, you will have a new version shortly ;)
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:07 am

emu_kidid wrote:the skeptics can believe what they want, you will have a new version shortly ;)

I thought you said not much time was put into it lately since you have other obligations, such a family, work, etc....? :shock: :shock:
Last edited by the_randomizer on Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:11 am

the_randomizer wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:the skeptics can believe what they want, you will have a new version shortly ;)
:shock:

Interesting.

now can you finally STFU???
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 am

megalomaniac wrote:
the_randomizer wrote:
:shock:

Interesting.

now can you finally STFU???
It's fine, emukidid and I spoke to each other in private. All is well.

Homer Simpson
julius

Post by julius » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:10 pm

Excellent. Now that you made the peace like good children, could anyone tell me wich one of the downloads in the first post is the gamecube port with the zip files support? Is a feature that most of current emulators have and we need in such cool emulator like cube64.
Disorarara

Post by Disorarara » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:18 pm

Hey, couldn't you make the NAND page a savefile so it wouldn't have to be generated everytime we start the emulator? Anyways, it's a really nice feature and Mario Kart 3 works perfectly now, Perfect Dark also runs a little smoother without constant pauses every now and then.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:22 pm

Disorarara wrote:Mario Kart 3
wat.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:41 pm

I think he meant Mario Party 3.
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:18 am

Extrems wrote:I think he meant Mario Party 3.
Does the NAND need to be initialized every time it boots up or can a pagefile be created so you don't have to wait for the NAND process? At least I think Disorarara said that.

Homer Simpson
manicblood

Post by manicblood » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Thank You! For saving these classics form a dusty forgotten grave for a new generation to love on the big screen TV's. The PPC core and glN64 gx are so efficient in size, CPU usage and the Audio Limiter in Not64 fixes practically every game its brilliant :D you should be proud
Over the past yr, I've wondered how WiiMotion controls could be added. Only now have I planned an efficient solution. Is anyone interested in adding YAxis for Jumps,X for Stabs and Z for Sword Swings??
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:51 pm

Err, the accuracy isn't THAT impressive. :P In particular, I always crash loading a track in San Francisco Rush: Extreme Racing, and can't even load BattleTanx: Global Assult.

But at least the speed is to playable levels. Speaking of which, does Sai2x effect the framerate like it can on a weaker PC?

Also, any plans on implementing libsicksaxis?
nakata

Post by nakata » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:08 pm

BattleTanx - Global Assault (E) (M3) [!] works for me.
SF Rush 1 does indeed crash.

Anyway, in order to be more helpful i would like to repost here some of my findings with this great emu:
List of working Not64 games (from playable to perfect):
(==EDIT== UPDATED the list @ 12/03/2013)

Some completed Wii64/Not64 savegames by me:
http://depositfiles.com/files/klrzn5tok
Perfect Dark
GoldenEye
GoldenEye X (Hack)
Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
1080 Snowboarding
Waverace
Starfox 64
Blast Corps
Ridge Racer 64
Jet Force Gemini
Mickey's Speedway USA

Finally, how to run GoldenEye and Perfect Dark with IR controls on Not64:
1. use 1.2 control setting from the in game options in both PD and GoldenEye.
Now from Not64 settings --> Input --> Configure buttons...
2. Assign the 4 directions of the nunchuck analog to the 4 C-buttons of N64.
3. Assign IR to N64 analog stick.
4. Depending on your Wii FPS preferences, assign the other buttons. For me they are like i have them in CoDs, GoldenEye Wii and Conduits. So Wii B=Z N64=shoot, Wii A=R N64= aim, Wii - =B N64=reload, Wii Dpad right=A N64=change weapon
5.?
6.Profit!
Last edited by nakata on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:25 pm

nakata wrote:BattleTanx - Global Assault (E)
Yeah... I'm using (U) because I wanted to be able to use my memory card save dump from my actual N64...unless memory card saves work across regions. BRB, gotta try that.

Also, about game compatibility, no single N64 emulator to date correctly runs World Driver Championship - one of my favorite N64 games (think Forza for the N64, but without any low-level car customization like suspension and stuff - heck the handling is similar enough that I got third without any driving aids on my first try on a Forza 3 demo unit, and I've never played a sim racer other than WDC).
nakata

Post by nakata » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:37 pm

I know man i LOVED that game I had the cart for my N64. The graphics and the physics were impecable for the time, they even had a letterboxed 480i mode without an expansion pak!

This game alongside Battle for Naboo and Indiana Jones are not emulated properly due to custom N64 microcode IIRC.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:41 pm

nakata wrote:This game alongside Battle for Naboo and Indiana Jones are not emulated properly due to custom N64 microcode IIRC.
This is indeed the case. That's why I'm interested in this emulator in the first place. :P
nakata wrote:I know man i LOVED that game I had the cart for my N64. The graphics and the physics were impecable for the time, they even had a letterboxed 480i mode without an expansion pak!
I didn't get the game until after I had a GameCube, but the 480i mode can look surprisingly good nowadays - the 240p just looks like a jaggy-fest to me, even on my Trinitron SDTV.

EDIT: I keep forgetting to try (since I use an SDTV), but is Not64 able to render games in non-stretched widescreen without progressive scan? At least on Project64 the Rush games work PERFECTLY with the widescreen hack.
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
nakata wrote:BattleTanx - Global Assault (E)
Yeah... I'm using (U) because I wanted to be able to use my memory card save dump from my actual N64...unless memory card saves work across regions. BRB, gotta try that.

Also, about game compatibility, no single N64 emulator to date correctly runs World Driver Championship - one of my favorite N64 games (think Forza for the N64, but without any low-level car customization like suspension and stuff - heck the handling is similar enough that I got third without any driving aids on my first try on a Forza 3 demo unit, and I've never played a sim racer other than WDC).
World Driver Championship now runs in an alpha build of Project 64, but it's not public yet, but the game should run on it now. That game had more in-game polygons than a lot of Playstation games, which was unusual for N64.

Homer Simpson
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:38 am

You can get WDC (U) fully playable on PJ64 1.5 with a special configuration, but there are some unimportant texture errors still, so it's not perfect.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:01 am

I don't know why you guys would expect these games with more complex ucodes to be emulated first in Not64/Wii64. The low level emulation plugins are too memory heavy for the GC/Wii and there aren't any open source High Level plugins to port.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 am

I don't expect WDC to run, I was just giving an example that proves that pretty much all current N64 emulators aren't really that accurate.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:20 am

fair enough, but that's just a lack of implementation and reversing.

An actual inaccuracy example is the movement in the DK64 intro. All HLE emulators are just as inaccurate as their counterparts. DK isn't supposed to fall into the water on the intro sequence as you'd know, he's meant to go over the vines. This inaccuracy is due to emulators using hardcoded cycle counters/etc which are basically just "good guesses" for things like when to trigger an interrupt/etc. Cycle accurate N64 emulation is nearly impossible with the CPU/RSP etc being two separate entities, but something like MESS might be able to pull it off... one day.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 am

emu_kidid wrote: Cycle accurate N64 emulation is nearly impossible with the CPU/RSP etc being two separate entities
Funny you should mention that...
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54131-An ... t-underway
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:06 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
emu_kidid wrote: Cycle accurate N64 emulation is nearly impossible with the CPU/RSP etc being two separate entities
Funny you should mention that...
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/54131-An ... t-underway
But the cost of performance would be disastrous; you'd end up with another emulator like Bsnes in terms of requirements. Frankly, no one gives a damn about cycle-accurate N64 emulation aside from the truly fanatically dedicated. Let emukidid do what he wants, and the accuracy vs performance nuts do what they want. A goal for a cycle-accurate N64 emulator is all well and good, but what about the requirements to run such an ambitious program? No one wants an N64 emulator with >3.0 GHz system requirements, do they? Besides, I've been behind the scenes with PJ64 alpha testing, its complete rewrite of the code (so far 90% has been rewritten), and how games like that will run soon with the new RSP code.

Cycle-accuracy and LLE go hand-in-hand do they not? If so, you're gonna have a bad time trying to get people to use said emulator. Emukidid knows what he's talking about.

Homer Simpson
XICO2KX

Post by XICO2KX » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:57 pm

Nice work! :D
By the way, since Wii64 is based on Mupen64, does it also already includes the improvements of the latest official version: :roll:
Mupen64Plus v1.99.5 - March 10, 2012 ;)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:55 pm

Um.. I use Bsnes (compatibility) as my only SNES emulator and I only have an Athlon 64 x2 (G2 Brisbane) @ 2.5GHz...

If you want to discuss the concept of a cycle-accurate N64 emulator, you should post in that thread since the author is VERY open to communication and will answer most if not all your questions and criticisms.

Besides, isn't discussing such things technically off-topic in this thread?

EDIT: Well this is interesting:
https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/298923153172885504

I wouldn't assume with some AHBPROT voodoo that Not64 could take advantage of this extra memory...?