Not64 - an experimental modification

All Wii64 related discussions here
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Not64 - an experimental modification

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

If it's via EXI it might be slow and read only, so not really going to gain much if anything.

mupen64plus is unofficial, but since mupen64 is dead, it's become official I guess. Wii64/Not64 have been picking up a few select improvements from mupen64plus, but the majority we're leaving out is where they're reinventing the wheel with plugin interfaces/etc (for no apparent reason).
XICO2KX

Post by XICO2KX » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:18 am

emu_kidid wrote:mupen64plus is unofficial, but since mupen64 is dead, it's become official I guess. Wii64/Not64 have been picking up a few select improvements from mupen64plus, but the majority we're leaving out is where they're reinventing the wheel with plugin interfaces/etc (for no apparent reason).
Ok, I see! No useful improvements then! :P
Anyway, here's something that might be interesting from the latest DeSmuMEWii SVN... 8-)
desmumewii wrote:Two words: Paired. Single.

That's right. I got tired of waiting. I created paired-single versions of ALL of
the matrix functions. On average they run about 40-50% faster. This has been in
the works for a long time. There isn't any noticeable speed up that I could
find, but it's there, and a preview of things to come.
Would this somehow be useful if you updated Wii64's to use these matrix functions? :roll:
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:57 am

XICO2KX wrote:Ok, I see! No useful improvements then! :P
  • Blast Corps / Donkey Kong 64 fix.
  • Real-time clock in Animal Forest.
  • Ogre Battle 64 / Pocket Monsters Stadium JPEG microcode.
Nothing useful there.
nakata

Post by nakata » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:59 am

Very nice! Good to know.

Of course games like RE2 64, World Driver Championship, Indiana Jones and Battle for Nabοο are too much to ask from Wii64 when even PC emulation struggles with them.

Would it be reasonable to expect some games to now work from the list below: 007 TWINE , Castlevanias, Turok 2 & 3, Conker, Starcraft, Star Wars Episode I - Racer, Top Gear Overdrive, SouthPark rally, Southpark, Shadowgate 64, Bomberman 64, Shadows of the Empire, Ready 2 rumble, Ogre Battle, Mystical Ninja Goemon, Monaco GP, Hercules, Hexen 64, New Tetris, Armorines, Flying Dragon, Fighting Force 64, Bio Freaks & Toy Story 2?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:17 am

No better way to find out than to test them yourself :)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:23 am

I can say that TWINE technically works, but has several annoying bugs. In particular, there's no sound, the gun model doesn't appear on-screen, and on the main menu it will constantly scroll downward through the options.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:54 am

nakata wrote:Very nice! Good to know.

Of course games like RE2 64, World Driver Championship, Indiana Jones and Battle for Nabοο are too much to ask from Wii64 when even PC emulation struggles with them.
There goes my hope for the only game I was expecting to be played on the Wii by any means (VC/Injected/Wii64)...
So long, RE 2. You will forever reside in your original cartridge.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:09 am

Quick correction to something I said earlier - supposedly the alpha 2.0 versions of PJ64 are running World Driver Championship, though apparently the Z64 LLE plugin still has better graphics rendering for this game currently.
nakata

Post by nakata » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:54 am

emu_kidid wrote:No better way to find out than to test them yourself :)
Yep, i intent to do just that when the new update arrives :) . I have set a a folder for NWY (not yet working) N64 roms (ie besides the 109 ones that already work fine, from the list on my post on page 10).
ShadowOne333 wrote:There goes my hope for the only game I was expecting to be played on the Wii by any means (VC/Injected/Wii64)...
So long, RE 2. You will forever reside in your original cartridge.
No worries, you can play the RE2 Gamecube port on Dios Mios just fine on Wii ;)

==EDIT==
Yea i didn't mention Devolution cause he only mentioned having the original game on N64 not on GC, and Devo requires verification ;). Btw, maybe it's the way your HDD is set up, i use both loaders fine (total of 120 GC games of which 33 original and ripped by me on Devo, the rest on DM 2.0)
Last edited by nakata on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:59 am

nakata wrote: No worries, you can play the RE2 Gamecube port on Devolution just fine on Wii ;)
Fixed that for you. :P

(disclosure: I have never been able to get Dios Mios to work, but Devolution worked first try)

EDIT: It wasn't my hard drive because I couldn't get Dios Mios to work regardless of the drive or sd card I used - even when formatted to FAT32 32k clusters and the ISO was aligned correctly for use with Dios Mios. It's not a big deal however since I made a NAND backup before both of the times I tried to get Dios Mios to work, and the only game I'd play via Dios Mios is one that I really want to use wiimote controls and/or the classic controller for, and that will only be possible via Devolution.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:35 am, edited 5 times in total.
the_randomizer

Post by the_randomizer » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:20 am

nakata wrote:Very nice! Good to know.

Would it be reasonable to expect some games to now work from the list below: 007 TWINE , Castlevanias, Turok 2 & 3, Conker, Starcraft, Star Wars Episode I - Racer, Top Gear Overdrive, SouthPark rally, Southpark, Shadowgate 64, Bomberman 64, Shadows of the Empire, Ready 2 rumble, Ogre Battle, Mystical Ninja Goemon, Monaco GP, Hercules, Hexen 64, New Tetris, Armorines, Flying Dragon, Fighting Force 64, Bio Freaks & Toy Story 2?
Some of those games were written in custom code or in a microcode, PJ64 barely started running WDC just two weeks ago, but as for the others, I don't know how much code would have to be debugged, rewritten and optimized to get running on Wii 64
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Quick correction to something I said earlier - supposedly the alpha 2.0 versions of PJ64 are running World Driver Championship, though apparently the Z64 LLE plugin still has better graphics rendering for this game currently.
Yep, confirmed, as I help with alpha/beta testing. How Zilmar got that game to run I'll never know, but I know he rewrote at least 90% of the emulator's code.
"Old people don't need companionship. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use."

Homer Simpson
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:54 am

I was setting up IR wiimote+nunchuck controls for Perfect Dark and I noticed that I couldn't map an N64 button to two wiimote buttons. I mention this because the IR pointer makes menu navigation difficult in N64 games, so the easiest thing to do is turn the wiimote sideways and use the Dpad and 1 & 2 in the menus. The problem is, A & B are already mapped to, well, A & B for in-game controls.

In other words, I want to map the N64 A button to both A and 2 on the wiimote. However, Not64 only lets me map a button to A OR 2 (or 1 or B or etc.), not to A AND 2 at the same time; the key difference being "or" vs "and".

Surely this isn't too much to ask...
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:26 am

nakata wrote:No worries, you can play the RE2 Gamecube port on Dios Mios just fine on Wii ;)

==EDIT==
Yea i didn't mention Devolution cause he only mentioned having the original game on N64 not on GC, and Devo requires verification ;). Btw, maybe it's the way your HDD is set up, i use both loaders fine (total of 120 GC games of which 33 original and ripped by me on Devo, the rest on DM 2.0)
I do have both the original N64 cartridge and the NGC port of RE2. (Yeah, redundant)
But there are several bonuses that the N64 version had and I liked those way more than the NGC version.
The N64 is my all time fav port of RE2, next to the Dreamcast one.
nakata

Post by nakata » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:58 am

Yeah i know, N64 RE2 had no loading, item randomizer and true analog controls.
At least there is an alternative :)

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:I was setting up IR wiimote+nunchuck controls for Perfect Dark and I noticed that I couldn't map an N64 button to two wiimote buttons. I mention this because the IR pointer makes menu navigation difficult in N64 games, so the easiest thing to do is turn the wiimote sideways and use the Dpad and 1 & 2 in the menus. The problem is, A & B are already mapped to, well, A & B for in-game controls.

In other words, I want to map the N64 A button to both A and 2 on the wiimote. However, Not64 only lets me map a button to A OR 2 (or 1 or B or etc.), not to A AND 2 at the same time; the key difference being "or" vs "and".

Surely this isn't too much to ask...
I agree with the dual mapping of certain buttons it would come in handy for some games, especially fighting games.

HOWEVER this is not an issue with GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. You see, when in mode 1.2, the Perfect Dark controls on N64 D-pad and N64 C-buttons perform the exact same job. That is also true for R & L buttons.
So you could assign the N64 d-pad to the Wiimote D-pad (for the menu navigation), while having Wii IR for N64 c buttons and Nunchuck analog as N64 analog. ;) (i repeat that this is for ingame control modes 1.2)
Last edited by nakata on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 am

...er, that's not the issue. I already have the N64 dpad mapped accordingly to the Wiimote's dpad when held sideways. The problem is, when you hold it sideways, it would be most optimal to map A to 2 and B to 1. However, if you do that, then you won't be able to use the wiimote's physical A and B buttons for when you're actually playing a deathmatch or whatever.

Basically I'm using a sideways wiimote for the menus and a traditional wiimote+nunchuck in a deathmatch.
nakata

Post by nakata » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:52 am

I see. Whatever suits you man, i do think however that you could set it up more efficienty.
How about using - as N64 B (reloading, like Wii fps games) and + as N64 A? That way you can still use them sideways. On top of that, you can use N64 Z instead of N64 A on the menus, it does the same job, so if say N64 Z is Wiimote B (both are triggers, and they have the same exact shape, unlike the nunchuck Z) then that's another option.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:01 am

Honestly it be less confusing to just hold the wiimote vertically in one hand and use the other to cover up the IR sensor. This is why I wanted to use sideways wiimote in the first place for menus - it's a familiar and simple control setup that automatically covers up the IR sensor.

In other news, maybe I've been spoiled by Metroid Prime Trilogy's "Advanced" sensitivity, but the IR mapping to the analog is...quite sub-par. It's not horrible, but it's not very fluid either. At least in GoldenEye/Perfect Dark doing a "manual aim" (hold N64 "R") improves the responsiveness of the wiimote aiming, though obviously you cannot move while doing this.

On another note, I'm technically using these controls for the GoldenEye X mod rather than vanilla Perfect Dark.
nakata

Post by nakata » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:23 am

Well the IR on Wii64 is not registering beyond the edges of the screen like Wii fps software and is not ''true'' IR (you can verify by testing Point Blank on WiiSX using the same IR) however (framerate permitting) it still beats analog in responsiveness when aiming. MPTrilogy really had great controls, but they were beaten by Black Ops and Modern Warfare 3 Wii especially if you also factor in turning speed and superb customization.

Btw great choice for GoldenEye X, that mod is worth it, especially if you can play the challenges co op with a mate.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 am

I never played any Wii versions of COD because they lack splitscreen let alone splitscreen with bots. Other than the first Conduit and Doom 64, every FPS game I own on any console has splitscreen multiplayer.

As for the IR not registering beyond the edges, this is hardly the problem for me - at least with aiming on N64 analog, the sensitivity is quite high when you reach that far on the screen so you don't really ever need to go any farther. My problem is that the transition from not moving much at all to moving quickly is too abrupt, not to mention the on-screen area of "hardly moving" is much too large as well. Overall it gives an effect that isn't buttery-smooth like it is with "Advanced" on Metroid Prime Trilogy - hence why I mentioned that. I still feel MPT's advanced preset has the smoothest IR controls to date, though not necessarily the fastest - but I care more about fluidity and stability rather than the raw speed of turning.
NewFang

Post by NewFang » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:47 pm

Can someone comment on which version of Goldeneye works the best? Or are they all the same? Thank you for any helpful responses. :D
king666

Post by king666 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:06 am

Friends know if there is a forwarder for Wii that work in the latest version of Not64?

The Donkey Kong 64 has a problem of camera Algua way to eliminate the problem?

I hope your kind response. :mrgreen:
Nintendero of heart until death i snatched from them.

Favorite Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYIjkmVj ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:26 am

As I understand, DK64 peeks in the framebuffer to figure out how the camera should be positioned.
We don't writeback to RDRAM, so it is reading uninitialized data.
nakata

Post by nakata » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:15 am

king666 wrote:Friends know if there is a forwarder for Wii that work in the latest version of Not64?
The Donkey Kong 64 has a problem of camera Algua way to eliminate the problem?
I hope your kind response. :mrgreen:
Go to the game options and turn cut scenes OFF. The camera issue is somewhat alleviated by holding the N64 R button pressed in-game. There is also an issue of the game reseting you to the start of the level when touching the high tips of vines but you can overcome this with savestates.
To those who say you cannot save, i respond that you can advance the game via savestates.

I attach some Not64 savestates of my own, 14 golden bananas, 3 levels unlocked and 4 kongs saved. I also attach a Wii64/Not64 forwarder:

http://dfiles.eu/files/d1ya9t3ga
http://dfiles.eu/files/2ex9yr5ns

Enjoy!
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:36 am

nakata wrote:Go to the game options and turn cut scenes OFF. The camera issue is somewhat alleviated by holding the N64 R button pressed in-game. There is also an issue of the game reseting you to the start of the level when touching the high tips of vines but you can overcome this with savestates.
To those who say you cannot save, i respond that you can advance the game via savestates.

I attach some Not64 savestates of my own, 14 golden bananas, 3 levels unlocked and 4 kongs saved. I also attach a Wii64/Not64 forwarder:

http://dfiles.eu/files/d1ya9t3ga
http://dfiles.eu/files/2ex9yr5ns

Enjoy!
Yeah, I was the one that posted about the SaveStates in DK64 a while ago in EmulateMii.
Problem is that the savestates should all be done in specific places of the game where the FPS are about 30 or so (around 25 should be fine)

If you savestate in a place below 20 or so FPS, the savestate will make the gamecrash or it won't load at all, making any progress you made useless.
That actually happened to me a lot of times, like 4 or 5 and had to restart the whole game everysingle time due to that.

At the 6th playthrough, I had enough and just stopped playing DK64 until a new release of Wii64/Not64 that solves this saving issue.
king666

Post by king666 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:48 am

Nakata Thanks mate for your support.

Problem in Donkey Kong 64 in some specific places in the game only in some occasions the game freezes or directly in some places in particular in the lianas brings you back to the main door or freezes the game, I want to know if only to me this happens and if you have solution. :roll:
Nintendero of heart until death i snatched from them.

Favorite Videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYIjkmVj ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLYjRn--GI