Not64 - an experimental modification

All Wii64 related discussions here
nakata

Re: Not64 - an experimental modification

Post by nakata » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:19 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:New version? I'll definitely have to test out GoldenEye X again since it runs like Perfect Dark does in hi-res mode on a real non-overclocked N64. :P

On a random note, how realistic would it be to have mapping the X and/or Y axis of the analog stick to the Wiimote's accelerometor and/or gyroscrope to have Mario Kart Wii-esque steering in something like Rush 2?
I think tilt is already (partially) supported, works well for for California Speed or Automobili Lamborghini at least.

Fire-WSP wrote: I think a good way to improve the emulator would be to optimize per Game. That is how Nintendo did it with their N64 Virtual Console Games.
This is also the reason that there are not many.
Maybe it would make sense to work out a games priority list.
For many people games like Goldeneye or the RARE Games in general are very important so mybe start with them.
Anyway would it be possible to include a Game "Autodetection" so when i know gamecode is loaded it changes the seetings of the EMU to what the game needs in order play it in an optimal way?
You know, that's exactly what i thought of Project64 should be doing too. Have every game's optimal setup preconfigured and bundled with the best plugins/renderers for this particular game (e.g. WX for Perfect Dark, Rice for others etc). Then the user should just provide the rom and the program would create an executable file for that game alone. After that, have PJ64 show a menu/gui with an icon for each made game (a la Wiiflow or Wii menu) and that's it.

That's just a pipedream though since it's purely theoretical on my part.

I guess the Wii equivalent would be Wiiflow's Not64 plugin or something akin to 0rangechicken's GBA inject wads.

Also Turok 3 boots? Super nice! Thanks once again to the wonderful people behind this.

papermanzero wrote:Just a short question, hopefully somebody could help:
Is it possible to delete the Virtual Memory on the Nand after the usage of Not64?
Will it be deleted automatically?
I think it is automatically deleted, yes. The fact that -after a shutdown/program exit and reopening- the NAND pagefile needs to be recreated seems to suggest so.
papermanzero

Post by papermanzero » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:07 pm

nakata wrote:[
papermanzero wrote:Just a short question, hopefully somebody could help:
Is it possible to delete the Virtual Memory on the Nand after the usage of Not64?
Will it be deleted automatically?
I think it is automatically deleted, yes. The fact that -after a shutdown/program exit and reopening- the NAND pagefile needs to be recreated seems to suggest so.
Thanks a lot for the quick answer.
I was worried that some unknown data are now in the NAND, which I cannot delete.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:25 pm

nakata wrote:I think tilt is already (partially) supported, works well for for California Speed or Automobili Lamborghini at least.
:shock: What?! How do I enable this?! California Speed is the other racing game I play in Not64 along with Rush2 (I had their saves backed up via a DexDrive from my N64 before my memory card for them got borked)
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
nakata wrote:I think tilt is already (partially) supported, works well for for California Speed or Automobili Lamborghini at least.
:shock: What?! How do I enable this?! California Speed is the other racing game I play in Not64 along with Rush2 (I had their saves backed up via a DexDrive from my N64 before my memory card for them got borked)
Just use the wiimote, and go to the button mapping:

BTW, after reading about Turok 3 i tried it myself. Yes it does boot in interpreter mode, but it is half screen and slow.It needs to be set @ hi-rez to be full screen.

Interestingly, I went ahead and also tried the mighty Turok 2 and sure enough, it boots now (!), in interpreter mode. It is really slow however and Adon sounds like a slowpoke tranny. After seeing this, i set limit fps to off and scale pitch to off, now it is somewhat faster but still needs more speed to be playable, it remains quite slow. The good news is that the fire effects, explosions, blood, ripple portals and lens flare all appear exactly as they should. The water surface is somewhat garbled but no big deal.

Man, this emulator really is progressing nicely, from the bottom of my heart THANK YOU DEV TEAM & EXTREMS, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME Image
Last edited by nakata on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:36 pm

Um... the analog stick says "normal Y" though... that would be vertical. Is it possible to change that to "Normal X"? (I cannot test this stuff right now, hence my questioning)
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:50 pm

Right now, the tilt controls are exactly like the wiimote ones in Excite Truck, you keep the wiimote with the buttons facing UP and tilt it left & right.

If i understand correctly, you want the controls to be more like Mario Kart Wii or Wii Wheel so the wiimote buttons need to be facing towards THE PLAYER right? If, so there's not yet that option, that i know of.
Normal Y and inverted Y are the only given axis options, IIRC.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

You misunderstand. I actually prefer the Excite Truck style. My Issue was that "Normal Y" made it sound like it's mapping the Y axis to the wiimote, that is up & down, but we want right & left. You claim it works like it should however, so perhaps it is just labeled wrong?
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:35 pm

Now we're on the same page.
Yep, we get wiimote horizontal orientation so it's good. Y axis refers to the changes it registers in order to decide left or right, not the axis you need to hold the wiimote (not vertically, it is held horizontally).
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:41 pm

nakata wrote:Y axis refers to the changes it registers in order to decide left or right
wat.
nakata wrote:not the axis you need to hold the wiimote (not vertically, it is held horizontally).
Already understood this, the "Normal Y" in this case should be referring to the Y axis of the N64 analog stick - this is how it works when using the IR...OH WAIT.

It just hit me, that normal/inverted Y didn't make it ONLY be Y for the IR pointer, it was just an invert setting specifically FOR Y - it also mapped X. Therefore, I can assume that the X axis is also mapped as well and this setting is again just an "invert Y yes/no" setting.
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Man we really convolute things :P
Excite truck style tilt controls work. This means you hold the wiimote horizontally (buttons facing up), you tilt right, it registers right, you tilt left it registers left.

Now, Y axis normal means, that while you hold the wiimote horizontally (buttons facing up) you tilt it towards the TV, it registers up. You tilt it towards you, it registers down. The opposite goes if you set Y axis inverted. Left and right are NOT affected by this change.

That's it, really :)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:58 am

tl;dr: Not64 cannot hot-swap memory card loading between SD and USB, but CAN hot-swap memory card SAVING between SD and USB. This is very dangerous and can easily result in overwriting saves (as happened with me).

I discovered a MAJOR problem with way the native saves are handled. I had my native saves be saved to my USB drive, but as previously stated I was having trouble with the auto-loading of control configurations, so I deleted my config.xml file. The default config.xml file has native saves go to the SD card, which I hadn't remembered until I loaded Rush 2 and went "huh? Where's my saves?". So I checked the save settings and changed native saves to be on my USB, saved the config.xml to the USB and went back to the game. My saves still weren't there (which I found odd considering the N64 supports memory card swapping), so I figured I need to reboot Not64. Even then, my saves were STILL not there.

It turns out that, with the default settings of having auto-save on, it didn't auto-load the "newly inserted" memory card from when I switched from SD to USB, but it DID save to USB the memory card it previously loaded from the SD card, which in this case had no save. This essentially over-wrote my saves with a formatted memory card.

Unfortunately for me, I only had a save backup from my actual N64 memory card, and lost all my Rush 2 progress I had made on the Wii... (such as unlocking the Pipe track that I never knew existed, and my father collecting all 12 keys in Los Angeles)

Currently, with auto-saving on and with a game already running, the only way to NOT have USB saves over-written with the SD saves is, after setting "Native Saves" to USB, to exit the emulator directly WITHOUT resuming the game (and if you DO resume the game, the only way out is to literally unplug the Wii - even the power button will cause saving to occur). As someone with an actual N64 who knew the system supported memory card hot-swapping, it never crossed my mind that Not64 WOULDN'T fully support this, let alone half support it (only for saving but not loading? lolwut), and ironically ended up being the direct cause of over-writing my Rush 2 save.

The easiest solution to this issue that I can think of would be to have Not64 re-read the memory card from the set location (SD/USB) when resuming emulation, especially considering a physical N64 can have actual memory cards swapped in and out while the game is still running. At the same time, built-in cartridge saves should NEVER change their loading & save location until Not64 is restarted since by nature you cannot hot-swap the loading of cartridge saves and allowing saving to a different location without reboot can result in overwritten saves.

Heck, perhaps it'd even be wise to have separate SD/USB settings for cartridge saves and memory card saves with a note for the cartridge saves saying it requires a restart.
nakata

Post by nakata » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:10 pm

An update on Conker: Starts and gets in gameplay now (doesn't code dump after the intro like before) in interpreter mode. Runs slower than Turok 2 however, so unplayable at the moment.
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:01 pm

Well i guess playing with Interpreter on Wii is not working for most games because of Speed anyway. All of the Games who start with Interpreter needs to be fixed so that they can use Dynarec.
I wish Extrems would not see this just as a side project.
Give it a few weeks of intensive working on and this project could run much better than any PC N64 emulator.
nakata

Post by nakata » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:35 pm

Well of course it' d be nice but first things first, we should be really thankful for what we already have in the first place (which we get for free btw): Great stability, a great picture quality (Not64 on my CRT looks really nice vs an emulator on my PC monitor), various control options, a nice gui, zip support and about half of the entire N64 library playable.

I know i've said it many times, but i'll say it once more, thanks for this great emulator Extrems and the rest of the Wii64 team.

==EDIT==
Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:But we don't have save-overwrite protection... :(

True, but we can have a back-up of our /wii64/saves folder handy ;)
Last edited by nakata on Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:40 pm

But we don't have save-overwrite protection... :(
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Today i tried many Games from the N64 Goodset 3.14
Many games start and are playable.
A lot of games however have GFX errors or other weird problems.
The overall speed is quite good but some more optimazion can not hurt.
I loaded all my games from an Hard Drive via USB.
Accessing the Drive usually take a few seconds.
Loading via USB is crashing the Emulator from time to time and the Console needs to be restarted.
Right now i was only testing with NTSC Roms.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 am

On a not-so save-nuking note, I tested out the sideways-wiimote tilt-steering in Rush 2 and F-Zero X... and I'm actually kind of underwhelmed. The implementation is GREAT, but it seems like from 0 degrees to around 30 degrees it is way too unresponsive, which makes it a pain to do quick, minor adjustments without "flailing around" and turning the game into a waggle-fest (that is, moving the wiimote from 0 degrees to ~30 degrees to 0 degrees to 30 degrees etc. in an attempt to make a quick minor steering adjustment since 15 degrees doesn't seem to do ANYTHING). Not only that, but the higher degrees of tilt seem to not be as sensitive as I would have expected as well - it feels like I'm still not turning full-on even with the wiimote tilted 90 degrees.

Also, is it just me or is the "wheel" setting more sensitive than the "tilt" setting?
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:49 am

I am sorry but that emulator has much greater problems than some wiimote tilt-steering functions.
It should get the core features right first and then focus on bonus feature like wiimote tilt-steering and stuff like that.
Thats always the same problem. People always want certain features but the core stuff is not even finished.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:51 am

From my knowledge it'd cause mental insanity for a developer to constantly work on only one thing...having verity in ones work-flow would likely be a good idea for one's mental health.

But in regards to the core emulation, from my preliminary testing, with FB Textures set to "On", Mario Party 3 seems to be darned near flawless.

Overall though, N64 emulation has been at a standstill for nearly a decade now, so I wouldn't expect any major improvements until a completely different approach is taken, such as LLE or another type of accuracy-focused emulator. Regardless of playability, having a slower yet highly-accurate emulator results in a trickle-down effect since said emulator essentually becomes the documentation and reference implementation of the console being emulated (see bsnes and its trickling-down into Snes9x).
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:07 am

In fact there is no coder working constantly on N64 emulation otherwise we would have almost perfect emulation by now.
Other than SNES Emulation the the N64 emulation scene always was very quite for longer periods.
Even in Big Bang Theory the joke about bad N64 emulation!
And Mario Party 3 is not the only N64 game out there...
Like i wrote before i was testing many N64 Games with Not64 and i found many issues.
A lot of these issues make it not fun to play these games so i stand with my last post and say focus on core features and compatibility first.
A accuracy-focused emulator is problematic for low power devices like the Wii but i am sure that if you optimize the current system also per game you can get a good compatibility.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 am

Fire-WSP wrote:In fact there is no coder working constantly on N64 emulation otherwise we would have almost perfect emulation by now.
in fact?? what proof you have...

you the the rest of the cry baby whiners...
try something different for a change...go buy the real thing and quit your cry baby whining
if you can code, then do something about it...
if you cant code, then shut your trap and wait...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:59 am

you my friend taking the mouth quite full!
I am following the emulation scene since the first N64 Emu, the Ultra HLE. I followed the Pj64 and the 1964 and there was always stop and go.
The Pj64 even took donations and didnt came that good along for many years. Now it is open source.
Please dont tell me anything about the N64 scene.
I prordered the system and got it on launch day. I have 3 different systems and even modded some for Overclocking and RGB in a sick way.
I had an DD and a lot of Games in MINT Condition and you even can find my name in the credits of some N64 Games and you talking about cry baby whining?
Get a life pal.
No i cant code but waiting? What are you waiting for christmas?
No man the N64 emulation scene was never that good like for example mame or snes.
Not64 is the first emu with a bit of hope at least for lower spec systems.
The upcoming Cycle-accurate N64 will be killer if the coder stays on track.
And you my friend should be a bit more carefull when posting or leave and stay drunk in texas ;)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:24 am

Fire-WSP wrote:you my friend taking the mouth quite full!
yea i always take it in the mouth
Fire-WSP wrote:
I am following the emulation scene since the first N64 Emu, the Ultra HLE. I followed the Pj64 and the 1964 and there was always stop and go.
The Pj64 even took donations and didnt came that good along for many years. Now it is open source.
Please dont tell me anything about the N64 scene.
I prordered the system and got it on launch day. I have 3 different systems and even modded some for Overclocking and RGB in a sick way.
I had an DD and a lot of Games in MINT Condition and you even can find my name in the credits of some N64 Games and you talking about cry baby whining?
Get a life pal.
you really dont understand do you??
for being in the scene as long as you CLAIM...you seem to have not learned anything have you??

at what point have the authors ever posted wii64 or cube64 are a non-beta, or 100% compatible final and ready release?
i really dont want to point out something so obvious to someone so astute as you appear to be (or not), but read the title of the thread your posting in: Not64 - an experimental modification
see anything obvious there?? need help >> experimental modification

do you not understand not64 is still a work in progress and not a final product??
Fire-WSP wrote: And you my friend should be a bit more carefull when posting or leave and stay drunk in texas ;)
you should be ashamed of yourself trying to present an argument and fail against someone who is drunk a good percentage of the time but can still clearly read and comprehend not64 is an experiment...not a final product
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Fire-WSP

Post by Fire-WSP » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:45 am

you need to read more carfully.
When i wrote about the N64 emulation scene i did not mentioned Not64 or Wii64.
I meant the N64 Emu scene in general and more towards the PC.
What should i learn? That a lot of Coders tried and failed or didnt had the patients to finish what they started? Yeah i learnd that since 1999 ;)
These experimental modification on Not64 are very good and i hope to see more of this spirit, thats all. I never talked about final products or beta versions, you did.

Anyway since you are from texas maybe you have a good Chili recipe for me? ;)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:12 am

HAHAHA...wow man...i need to read more carefully??
did you even read what i wrote??

i indicated wii64 and not64 are not final releases....
there is no reason for you to trash all over the emulator and both their authors...

how could you possibly think if someone was consistently working on the emulator that it would ever reach 100% compatibility?
how can you comment that the core features are not working??
do you know what is required to target an optimized setting per title??

if you want to provide feedback and suggestions....sure go ahead...
if you want to shit all over the place, make sure its at least valid arguments not based on your own misunderstandings...

as for chili ( from memory so i might be missing something )....
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon roasted cumin
1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
1 or 2 tablespoons of salt
3 or 4 pieces of crushed garlic
half an onion chopped
1 pound red beans
1 pound ground steak (or beef stew)
16 oz swansons beef or chicken broth
8 oz tomato paste
12 oz tomato sauce
24 beers

grill the onions and garlic while lightly brown the meat...
once brown throw everything in a large pot for about 2.5 hours ( or crockpot for about 6hrs )
taste every once in a while and add more salt till its right....
can add more cumin or cayenne but only in small quantities....
if you add too much then pour in a bit of beer to take the edge off...

when its all done let it cool then stick it in the fridge till the next day so all the flavors can combine overnight...
heat it up the next morning then take a shit in the pot and try eating it....

Image Image Image