Not64 - an experimental modification

All Wii64 related discussions here
Nintendo Maniac 64

Re: Not64 - an experimental modification

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:57 pm

Upon farther testing, it turns out that Mario Party 3 has the same in-the-way-of-gameplay texture bug in the minigame Etch 'n' Catch I discovered in June 2010 with 1964video. To quote myself from this post on Emutalk.net:
On the minigame Etch 'n' Catch, the mushroom is 1/4 the size it's supposed to be. In the below screenshot, the mushroom on the right is the correct size, while the size on the left is what is displayed. (Note that every 2 or 3 seconds, the mushroom flashes to the correct size for a millisecond.)
NuclearSunset

Post by NuclearSunset » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:42 am

Wow! Seems like a lot has changed in the few months I've been away...

Sincere gratitude for everyone involved.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:02 am

Random thought - is there a reason we cannot map the "pause emulation and open Wii64 menu" control function to the HOME button?
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:03 am

Is there any chance that NBA Hangtime can run full speed in the future? Its so slow compared to TONS of 3d games. (I.E. Perfect Dark) Otherwise i love wii64/not64. i use the emulator just about EVERY day. Thanx Emukidid/Extrems! :D
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am

Found a definite control bug: on the classic controller / classic controller pro, right on the CC/pro's dpad results in all for C buttons being pressed along with whatever is mapped to it in the normal Wii64 control customization.

So by default, pressing right on the CC/Pro's dpad results in FIVE buttons being pressed:

-Dpad right
-C up
-C down
-C left
-C right

This does not effect the Dpad on the wiimote, wiimote+nunchuck, or Gamecube controller.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naxil

Post by Naxil » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:43 am

i have try latest release 20130408.. i try to load majora's mask. I see the bar of "growing nand" and after the bar finish the loading.. i get DSI ERROR.. what's happen?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:10 am

Found another definite control bug, though I don't know if this only applies to version 20130408 or if it was in earlier versions as well.

To put it simply, the meta.xml argument "LoadButtonSlot" flat out doesn't work. I deleted my Not64 settings.cfg file to start with completely stock settings but that didn't fix the issue. The argument "LoadButtonSlot" works in the settings.cfg and the argument "rompath" works in both the meta.xml and the settings.cfg so it's not a problem with my control profiles nor my XML file.

Here's the text from the XML files for the two games I'm trying to get working, both which use a different control profile. I don't think I need to post the contents of my settings.cfg file since it's just what Not64 creates by default.

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">

<name>BattleTanx: Global Assault</name>

<short_description>©1999 3DO</short_description>

<long_description>TANKS!</long_description>

<version>Not64 Beta 1.1 'Honey'</version>

<author>Extrems</author>

<release_date>20130408000000</release_date>

<arguments>
      <arg>LoadButtonSlot = 0</arg>
      <arg>rompath = "sd:/wii64/roms/BattleTanx - Global Assault (E).z64"</arg>
   </arguments>
</app>

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<app version="1">

<name>Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA</name>

<short_description>©1998 Midway</short_description>

<long_description>RUSH!</long_description>

<version>Not64 Beta 1.1 'Honey'</version>

<author>Extrems</author>

<release_date>20130408000000</release_date>

<arguments>
      <arg>LoadButtonSlot = 1</arg>
      <arg>rompath = "sd:/wii64/roms/Rush 2 - Extreme Racing USA.z64"</arg>
   </arguments>
</app>
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:32 am

Naxil wrote:i have try latest release 20130408.. i try to load majora's mask. I see the bar of "growing nand" and after the bar finish the loading.. i get DSI ERROR.. what's happen?
Do you have zipped your MM rom or do you load it from USB?
Other than that, maybe you have a bad dump/rom or you should try your settings.
Dynarec should also be used.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:09 am

Update and clarification on the "LoadButtonSlot" bug. If you go into the emulator settings, it will actually show the meta.xml's button slot as if it is indeed automatically loading said slot. However, it will NOT actually be applied if you play the game - it will instead be using whatever is specified in the settings.cfg file.

This means that Not64's settings GUI can specifically say that 'Slot 1' is to be auto-loaded, but it is actually 'Slot 2' that is being loaded at startup. Regardless of any meta.xml special arguments and functionality, this itself is a definite UI display bug.
nakata

Post by nakata » Thu May 02, 2013 4:30 pm

I have a similar issue but with freaking WiiSX that refuses to save button configs as well as the dithering:NONE option on my behalf, and i have to remap after reboot. Small issue now that i've amassed a sizeable library of perfectly working games for it, but i could really do without it. Oh well.

On topic now, for me Not64 always loads slot 1, seems i' m lucky. IMHO, on the control front Not64 trumps any other console 64 emu (excluded mouse usage for fps games in some pc emus, and even then it's close). It brings new life into some games, even mediocre ones like AeroGauge, that is zen with tilt.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:55 pm

nakata wrote:On topic now, for me Not64 always loads slot 1, seems i' m lucky.
That's not luck, I can make it do that as well. Your settings.cfg file most likely has button slot 0 specified which will result in button slot 1 always being loaded no matter what the meta.xml says. This is in fact the issue - the setting in the meta.xml is supposed to override whatever is set in the settings.cfg.
nakata wrote:IMHO, on the control front Not64 trumps any other console 64 emu (excluded mouse usage for fps games in some pc emus, and even then it's close). It brings new life into some games, even mediocre ones like AeroGauge, that is zen with tilt.
I personally find the sideways wiimote tilting to be too insensitive - it feels like the N64 analog range was mapped to use the wiimote from 0 degrees all the way to 100 degrees. I personally feel it'd work much better with the N64 analog range mapped to a wiimote tilt-angle of half of what it is currently, 0 to 50 degrees.

Also, maybe it's just the way Perfect Dark does its 1.2 control setting, but wiimote aiming seems a bit insensitive and/or not-so-smooth as well. Again though, this may not be an issue with the emulator but Perfect Dark itself.
nakata

Post by nakata » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Yep, i checked and indeed it has load button slot = 0 for Not64. However, seeing as it loads automatically button config #1 (unlike WiiSX...) i don't have an issue. Only time i change config is for PD & GE, i use config 2 (for IR). I can see how it would be an issue for others though.
Thanks for the idea, i'll try and experiment with the WiiSX config about this.

You are right about the N64 analog, however keep in mind that in most cases, it seriously degrated over prolonged usage so maybe the games were programmed to compensate for this. Having a heavily used set of N64 pads myself, i feel right at home with the tilt as it is now.

About the IR in GE and PD, two issues can hinder IR aiming: Not64 doesn't register beyond the limits of the screen so there will be need for recentering if you go too far. The framerate is the other major gripe that can mess with the aiming. Personally i use soft movements and most times i can headshot pretty much every opponent without R zooming. This is especially apparent in the Carrington Defence mission, when rescuing hostages. Also having the cross visible in the middle of the screen at all times, is a must on PD IMHO, really helps.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:35 pm

nakata wrote:Yep, i checked and indeed it has load button slot = 0 for Not64. However, seeing as it loads automatically button config #1 (unlike WiiSX...) i don't have an issue. Only time i change config is for PD & GE, i use config 2 (for IR). I can see how it would be an issue for others though.
If you have both an SD card and USB drive you can make two separate copies of Not64 on both devices with separate settings.cfg files - this way the games on SD can autoload button slot 1 while the games on USB can autoload button slot 2.
nakata wrote:About the IR in GE and PD, two issues can hinder IR aiming: Not64 doesn't register beyond the limits of the screen so there will be need for recentering if you go too far. The framerate is the other major gripe that can mess with the aiming.
I know of these two issues but neither is what I was getting at. To me, at least compared to "advanced" sensitivity in Metroid Prime 3/Trilogy, it seems that there is a not-so-smooth transition between moving a tiny bit and moving moderately quicker. Quake GX (homebrew) is another great example of a very smooth IR-aiming implementation.
nakata

Post by nakata » Thu May 02, 2013 9:09 pm

Τhat's cause in game, in Not64 's case it emulates the N64 analog stick which as i said above, is not ideal after extensive usage. In the menus, Not64 IR behaves perfectly, for example, so it is not IR's fault (apart from the screen border limit, obviously)

Indeed Quake GX emulates the mouse [and even goes as far as having off screen tracking as well as camera lock (!)]. Great, GREAT controls, that's for sure :) I only wish QRevpack had implemented the same controls as Quake GX... Lastly, MPT was made specifically for the wiimote so they'd better do a fine job (in Retro we trust).
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 pm

I use Datel Sd Media Launcher. When trying to load throw sd medialauncher i get "no signal" on my tv. If i try to start cube64.dol with swiss i get a green screen. What i am doing wrong?
nakata

Post by nakata » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Although i haven't used my GC for homebrew, if this emu is the same as on Wii, it sounds like you must configure your settings.cfg file specifically the video mode setting. I am on PAL territory and have a CRT, so my settings are like this:
Audio = 1
ScalePitch = 0
FPS = 0
FBTex = 0
2xSaI = 0
ScreenMode = 1
VideoMode = 0
TrapFilter = 0
Core = 1
NativeDevice = 0
StatesDevice = 0
AutoSave = 1
LimitVIs = 2
Pak1 = 0
Pak2 = 0
Pak3 = 0
Pak4 = 0
LoadButtonSlot = 0
smbusername = ""
smbpassword = ""
smbsharename = ""
smbipaddr = ""
rompath = ""
try to experiment with your own VideoMode settings, and see what you get.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat May 04, 2013 6:57 am

Head up for anyone using sideways-wiimote tilting. It would seem that some games, such as Rush 2 and California Speed, have specific steering-wheel handling modes that work MUCH better with the sideways-wiimote steering.

For Rush 2 and California Speed, you enable it the same way for both games. Go to the controls and highlight steering, then move right - it should change to a steering wheel. This will result in WAY more sensitve steering to the point that using an analog stick for steering will be nearly impossible, but it makes Not64's insensitive sideways-wiimote tilting actually work as it should!

Take note however that California Speed will not save the custom controls if you reset the game, so you have to do it every time. Also Rush 2 will save the controls if you reset the game, but will not actually apply said custom controls - you have to manually view "Controls" from the in-race pause menu for it to take effect, and it will then stay applied until you reset the game.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Sat May 04, 2013 7:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Sat May 04, 2013 7:09 am

nakata wrote:Although i haven't used my GC for homebrew, if this emu is the same as on Wii, it sounds like you must configure your settings.cfg file specifically the video mode setting. I am on PAL territory and have a CRT, so my settings are like this:

try to experiment with your own VideoMode settings, and see what you get.
Thanks for your answer. Where i have to store my settings.cfg. In the package i downloaded it is in Wii64. Is this right also for cube64? Is there any documentation about possible settings?

EDIT: Ok i was too impatient. Loading needs more time. In latest - version here i can not open my Sd-Card in Sd-Media-Launcher-Adapter. I tried with version from wii-homebrew and it works. Do you need something (information, tests ...) to fix that problem?
nakata

Post by nakata » Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 pm

IDK about the SD browsing, i can only half-hazard a guess it could be a filesystem related issue? Sorry for not being more helpful at this.

As for the settings in the /wii64/settings.cfg and what they do, check the first post on this thread, about which option does what:
New options:
ScalePitch
Changes pitch according to emulation speed.
VideoMode
0: Auto - 1: 480i60 - 2: 576i50 - 3: 480p60 - 4: 576p50
TrapFilter
Affects composite video, similar to GameCube output.
Recommended for lower-end CRT TVs.
smbusername, smbpassword, smbsharename, smbipaddr
Hopefully self-explanatory.
rompath
Automatically load a ROM file on startup.
wishmasterf

Post by wishmasterf » Sun May 05, 2013 9:50 am

nakata wrote:IDK about the SD browsing, i can only half-hazard a guess it could be a filesystem related issue? Sorry for not being more helpful at this.
I dont think it is filesystem related because starting cube64 works well, using same sd-card with older version works well also. Is ther a debug-log or any other thing i can activate?

Can anyone confirm that bugs on GameCube?
brawww

Post by brawww » Mon May 06, 2013 5:02 am

Hello everyone just joined the gc community I wanted to thank you very much for all the work everyone emukidd and his team, extremis has done for emulation for n64.

I am pretty new on emulating on wii I just heard of not64 and its latest "130804" update patch. I need help with installing it on USB.
I did put it in my USB already but It wont load any games that i copied from the original Wii64 ROMS folder.

So I thought it was because I still have my original Wii64 emulater so I completely deleted and left the Not64 folder on root of USB.
Still doesnt work.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?? Do I need to move or obtain certain files??
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon May 06, 2013 5:09 am

Assuming you are launching Not64 first, you need to navigate the browser to the USB drive. My guess is that you don't know that typically ".." in a file browser means to go back or go up a folder. Click that multiple times and you should then be able to choose SD or USB.

Just a heads up though, I HIGHLY recommend keeping your saves on the SD card. If you ever delete your settings.cfg file, it will default to putting save data on the SD card. Not64 only loads save data when launching a game but saves every time you access the emulator menu, so if you change the save location to USB after a game is already running, you'll overwrite any saves on the USB with those that were on the SD.
brawww

Post by brawww » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 am

:? I dont understand

Oh I hope im clear, this is my first time ever using not64, I had just the wii64 "beta 1.1" emulator before. Ill tell you what I did in order:

1. Downloaded the latest Not64
2. Put it straight into my usb the root of it
3. Boot it on HBC and went to "WII64"
4. Tried banjo-kazooie and noticed the white eyes on banjo and new that it could not have been Not64 working because I read he shouldnt have white eyes anymore.
5. So i concluded that the system is still working on just WII64 and not Not64. Hence I copied all the games and saves that I had before in the ROMS and SAVES folders of the original Wii64 and erased Wii64. And pasted the games to Not64's Wii64 files.
6. So I booted it again on HBC still under WII64 and still notice no new settings and tried to load game off of USB "ERROR".

Hopefully this helps, did I do something wrong??
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue May 07, 2013 5:56 am

You may have to enable FB textures for Banjo Kazooie to work properly. Did you do that?
brawww

Post by brawww » Tue May 07, 2013 6:06 am

Nah I don't see any of those settings period the FB or any audio settings and I can't even load a rom I get error message every time when try