Wii Component Cables

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
reversalmushroom

Wii Component Cables

Post by reversalmushroom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:10 am

The Wii has the option to change it's resolution from 480i to 480p, but only if you're using component cables instead of composite cables. The Gamecube has this option as well, but Gamecube component cables are not compatible with the Wii. Will the Wii component cables improve the graphics of Gamecube games in addition to wii games, or will I have to buy the Gamecube component cables and play the games on that console to enjoy the enhanced resolution? Also, what about VC and WiiWare games? Will they show a graphical improvement or will they remain the same? And will any set of component cables do, or do I have to buy a specific brand of component cables?
Who would win in a fight between you and yo mama?
Shinebi

Re: Wii Component Cables

Post by Shinebi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:23 am

Good question, I've also seen them range from € 10 to € 20, even though they both looked like equal shit in the box...
So I'd go for the cheaper version actually.

And I'd like to add to that: isn't it possible to get 720p if for instance your console is set to NTSC?
I know the regular PAL Xbox didn't support progressive, but if you'd set it to NTSC, one could go to 480/720p, or even higher through XBMC IIRC.
So could the image on the Wii possibly be 'upscaled' higher than the regular 480p?
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:40 am

No. Not even if you buy the "Wii2HDMI" or whatever it's called, because the Wii itself can only go up to 480p making higher resolutions impossible. Take the SNES multitap for example. Yes, it allows games to have up to 5 players, but the problem with that is that most SNES games are for 1 or 2 players.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:00 am

I use cheap $6 wii component cables on my wii and I can play GC games in 480p goodness :)
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:34 am

Thank you, emu_kidid. But what about VC and WiiWare games? Do those look better as well?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:46 am

Image :(
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:08 am

I'm highly doubtful that Nintendo would program in an option that would crash the VC and WiiWare games, if that's what you were trying to convey. They're not Microsoft.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I hope he is trying to say: 576p in RGB, a hundred extra lines of visual splendor. Which apps does Microsoft crash for you? :lol:
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:54 pm

explorer.exe
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm

nvm
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:30 pm

Everything at some point. And I was making a remark about Microsoft's decision to release the 360 before it was complete. Microsoft decided to start selling their console almost a year before the competition, and as a result, early 360s were riddled with bugs. It was Sonic 06 in console form.
Guanako

Post by Guanako » Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm

I played GC games on my Wii with a cheap component cable ($5), original games as well as backups with Swiss and SD Gecko. All of them at 480p. And yes, I can notice a big diference on my LCD Panasonic Viera 42 Full HD.
:) :lol: 8-)

Wii 4.3 U (NTSC)

Yo uso un cable de componentes barato ($5) para jugar juegos de GC en mi Wii. Tanto juegos originales como backups, usando el Swiss y el SD Gecko. Y me funcionan a 480p. Dejenme decirles que yo si noto la diferencia en mi LCD Panasonic Viera 42 Full HD.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:47 pm

The Wii hardware is used to run GameCube games, and there's nothing special about the GameCube video and audio signals that would require a special cable for 480p video. You can use the Wii component cable with GameCube games just fine.

Most WiiWare games support progressive scan, just like most Wii games do. Notorious exceptions are Mega Man 9 and Mega Man 10. Damn you, Capcom!

The Virtual Console is a different story. I can't find any definite information on this, but from what I know many N64 games, particularly first-party and second-party ones, support 480p video. Older consoles only support interlaced and sometimes may not even work with a component cable. It's even worse if you're in PALland, where everything is 50Hz and interlaced except for a select few Hanabi Festival games.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:17 pm

Some words of wisdom: don't be like me; don't buy component cables from eBay for 99¢. They suck and they actually make everything look worse than the regular 480i cables that the Wii comes with. Instead, buy more expensive component cables from an actual store. I did, and now my games look fantastic!