Recording Music With Video Capture Devices?

All your console related questions and answers :)
reversalmushroom

Recording Music With Video Capture Devices?

Post by reversalmushroom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:17 am

Are there any devices out there that allow you to record game footage that provide CD-quality audio? Normally, I'd get my music from the internet like everybody else, but the music in question is unique in that it can't be ripped and it can't be recorded on the PC. I wish to acquire 3 songs from the Yoshi's Cookie section of Nintendo Puzzle Collection; for those of you that don't know, Nintendo Puzzle Collection is a Japan-only port of Dr. Mario 64, Panel de Pon, and Yoshi's Cookie, with enhanced graphics and sound for the Gamecube. I suspect that Skaz9000 held a microphone up to his TV's speakers to record these songs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvvwH6jkSbE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz4uZhhX004

The best I save for last:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u2Jx7nwNa4

Because of the music's inability to be ripped in any fashion, no MP3's exist anywhere on the internet. The reason that it cannot be recorded is because Gamecube audio emulation leaves much to be desired; when you listen to the music, some of the instruments will be missing. And you can't rip the music from the ISO because the music is sequenced, and does not exist as actual audio data. This leaves me with only one option: to record the music from actual gameplay. For now I've resorted to downloading the videos and turning them into MP3s, but I'd like to have something better. I once tried to record some music with something called "Gamebridge TV", but it sounded underwater. Is there a better device that could provide me with game-rip quality audio? Will the music pan like it's supposed to? And could I get better quality if I use component cables or a Wii 2 HDMI accessory, as opposed to RCA cables?
AC_Orange

Re: Recording Music With Video Capture Devices?

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:48 am

There are a few ways to do this. I recorded music from SNES and N64 games by connecting the Composite Audio L/R from the console to a 3.5mm jack on the sound card.
So you need a Stereo Composite female to 3.5mm (audio jack) cable.
From there I plugged in the 3.5mm to my PCs sound card input and used sound recorder that comes with windows :)
There's better programs to use, maybe Audacity...
You can later convert that (stereo) wav to mp3 or whatever

I hope this makes sense :)

If you have a Panasonic Q you could use the optical audio cable but I think Composite stereo should be sufficient quality
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:56 pm

Fiber optic audio mod at the digital port :)
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:05 pm

Most game tracks have been ripped already and in their native format with players to play them back as they originally sounded, like NSF, SPC, USF, PSF, etc..
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:06 pm

There are a few ways to do this. I recorded music from SNES and N64 games by connecting the Composite Audio L/R from the console to a 3.5mm jack on the sound card.
So you need a Stereo Composite female to 3.5mm (audio jack) cable.
From there I plugged in the 3.5mm to my PCs sound card input and used sound recorder that comes with windows :)
There's better programs to use, maybe Audacity...
Fiber optic audio mod at the digital port
So if I do either of these things, would I be recording music coming out of my speakers? That's something I'd like to avoid, if given the option. If the audio data is being saved directly to a file in my computer, would panning be preserved? Also, how's the quality?
Most game tracks have been ripped already and in their native format with players to play them back as they originally sounded, like NSF, SPC, USF, PSF, etc..
Most, but not all. I don't remember what the file extension for the music was, but what I do remember is that Nintendo Puzzle Collection is the only game in all of existence that uses it (this is the reason why no Gamecube emulator can play it properly), and that, coupled with the fact that Nintendo Puzzle Collection is such an obscure game, means that there isn't a community driven effort to rip the music, or make a player designed specifically for that format, or update Gamecube emulators to be able to play it; there isn't even a single dedicated programmer out there or any demand whatsoever for any of these things to be done. Also, each of the 3 ports uses a different format, and the way that the game has the audio data organized and the way that the game compiles it is different for each port, so you'd have a Hell of a time if you tried to do all 3, but as stated earlier, I only want 3 songs from one of the ports (Yoshi's Cookie).

The music (from Yoshi's Cookie) might have actually been in some .BIN files, but as far as I know, there isn't a music player out there that plays BIN files, or a program that rips music from them/converts them into music.

PS - I heard there's a way to download GC ISOs to a flash drive/SD card and play them on your Wii. My question is are the games still region-locked when you play them this way, or will I have to buy a Japanese Wii?
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:28 pm

So if I do either of these things, would I be recording music coming out of my speakers? That's something I'd like to avoid, if given the option. If the audio data is being saved directly to a file in my computer, would panning be preserved? Also, how's the quality?
Neither for both is a microphone used, so how does this stand for retreiving sound from speakers?
First: DAC=digitaltoanalog conversion, ADC=analogtodigital conversion. In the end you need digital sound for your recordings, like MP3.

'Composite' audio is the analog audio you would normally get when using the white (L) and red (R) wires from your GameCube. When using this method, GameCube does DAC, and the soundcard does ADC. Taken the DAC from GC is very good, it depends on the quality of the soundcard (ADC) what quality you'll get.

When using the digital audio mod, GC outputs digital audio which can straight be led into a dedicated sound card. No conversion, so this is the pure sound from your GC. Nothing touched by the conversion, so this will obivously give the best quality. Even the cheapest sound card with digital audio port can be used without loss in quality!

Note that I won't hear the difference between a good ADC and straight digital. Not to mention hearable after YouTube's excessive compressing technics.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:21 am

When you say "mod", what exactly do you mean? Would I have to take my Gamecube apart and solder something? And how would I actually record the music once I get all this set up? As far as I know my computer only has 1 recording device, which is the microphone, but you say this isn't needed.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:11 am

DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:18 pm

...It sounds like getting what I need is either going to be expensive and/or time consuming, and it sounds like some of you may already have all the things I need, so here's what I'm going to do: if you already have the necessary equipment and an inexpensive means in which to play Nintendo Puzzle Collection, I will pay you $10 to record the 3 requested songs.

Here are the rules:

* You will post the recordings in this thread.
* Payment will be made via PayPal. Post your email address along with the music, and I will send you the money.
* If more than one person posts music, then the $10 will go to the person who's files I decide to keep, which will most likely be the files with the best sound quality. That being said, do not edit the audio to make it sound better; I'm going for original sound quality here.
* I want all the songs to have over 2 loops (I plan on making them start to fade out right after the completion of the 2nd loop, so don't just cut it off immediately after the 2nd loop); feel free to do the fade-out for me though.

Any takers?
Last edited by reversalmushroom on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Who would win in a fight between you and yo mama?
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:40 pm

Anyone?
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone at all?
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:17 am

Thank you very much! Just out of curiosity, how were you able to play Nintendo Puzzle Collection?

I know you stated that those were preliminary recordings, but I just wanted to point out that it sounds like you started recording the songs just a few milliseconds too late. Maybe it's just me, though. Either way, this is much appreciated!

I heard that .WV files are supposed to be paired with .WVC files, so next next time would you mind providing both, if this is going to be your format of choice? Thanks in advance.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:51 am

reversalmushroom wrote:Just out of curiosity, how were you able to play Nintendo Puzzle Collection?
Swiss + USB Gecko.
reversalmushroom wrote:I know you stated that those were preliminary recordings, but i just wanted to point out that it sounds like you started recording the 3rd song just a few milliseconds too late.
I gave up trying to find the looping point.
reversalmushroom wrote:I heard that .WV files are supposed to be paired with .WVC files, so next next time would you mind providing both, if this is going to be your format of choice?
I'm not using hybrid lossless mode.
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:23 am

You can always record several loops so that I can cut 2 loops out of it.
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:13 am

Are you going to re-record the music, or what? I'm asking because I only have $10 in my PayPal account and I'd like to buy something, but I don't want to spend it only to have you upload the music the very next day.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:34 pm

Well, here (link) it is. It plays C>B>A, at least it loops each one twice. Only have to strip them yourself.

Lossless format from Dolphin (LLE recompiler, Nintendo Collection runs very good). BGM on level 7 to avoid clipping. You won't get higher quality I think.
Last edited by pr0ton on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:51 pm

I clicked the link and it said that the file I requested didn't exist.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:04 pm

DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:47 pm

Not bad, but that 3rd song isn't even one of the ones I asked for, and the first song needs to be longer, and not cut off right at the end of the 2nd loop.
Last edited by reversalmushroom on Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:12 am

reversalmushroom, please be nicer to people who are going out of their way to do this for you. Paying someone $10 doesn't mean that you get to treat them like a doormat, e.g: "(if only he or she would get off his or her lazy @$$ and re-record them so that they went on longer)"
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:27 am

You're right. I'm sorry.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:58 am

Oh, and I don't need the money. Only interested if Dolphin can do such things already.

But now I see you tried Gamecube emulation. Use LLE instead of HLE to produce correct sound. For this game, use 'Accurate VBeam emulation' to get a nice speedup. Even then you need something like Core i5 (stock) or better to stay at 100% speed.
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
reversalmushroom

Post by reversalmushroom » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Could someone please download Extrems' links and reupload them to mediafire? His website is blocked for me now.
Last edited by reversalmushroom on Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mat8888

Post by mat8888 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:33 pm

reversalmushroom wrote:Could someone please download Extrems' links and reupload them to mediafire? His website is blocked for me.
Here's all 3 zipped
http://www.mediafire.com/?92coo7ensyk71vy