Homebrew HDD adapter for Gamecube

Latest site specific news
liquitt

Re: Homebrew HDD adapter for Gamecube

Post by liquitt » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:02 pm

nice stuff - i knew i'd miss a lot while not being very active here :D
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
sm4rty

Post by sm4rty » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:33 pm

is there any news about this project?
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:18 am

sm4rty wrote:is there any news about this project?
yes I am also a little bit confused. Why do people say they release something and then dont so it. Its nearly like geohots hack on the PS3.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:21 am

I'm not releasing this, someone else is, so it's beyond my control when they decide to release diagrams on how to build it.

The guy is quite busy with real life and he's not doing this for any money, so you can imagine what a large amount of motivation and dedication it must require for him to actually get work done for someone other than himself.
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:25 am

I can certainly understand the guy's time constraints so if he ever releases it, that would be great. Otherwise, life goes on.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:42 pm

I have received instructions on how to make this adapter along with all the code and source! :)

I'll be publishing it in a few days once I get the documentation up and looking decent.
krawser

Post by krawser » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:04 am

Cool can not wait to try the tutorial here at home

sorry for english I am Brazilian and I used google to translate
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:47 am

I'm looking forward to checking out the docs. Thanks for your efforts to publish it. Thanks also to the contributor who did the project.
Ironaxe

Post by Ironaxe » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:49 am

gtmtnbiker wrote:I'm looking forward to checking out the docs. Thanks for your efforts to publish it. Thanks also to the contributor who did the project.
What he said ^^ :D
tglaria

Post by tglaria » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:10 am

Ironaxe wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:I'm looking forward to checking out the docs. Thanks for your efforts to publish it. Thanks also to the contributor who did the project.
What he said ^^ :D
He said he's looking forward to see the instruction to build his own "hdd adapter", he's thanking emu_kidid for taking some time in releasing the instructions and thanking the creator of this adapter for his creation.
Lol
Last edited by tglaria on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:57 am

lol, no. using ^^ infers that you must look up. so he's saying that he also wants the same as the other person. It's not a question of "what did he say?", but a statement instead.
Ironaxe

Post by Ironaxe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:18 pm

emu_kidid wrote:lol, no. using ^^ infers that you must look up. so he's saying that he also wants the same as the other person. It's not a question of "what did he say?", but a statement instead.
Exactly :)
tglaria

Post by tglaria » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:08 pm

emu_kidid wrote:lol, no. using ^^ infers that you must look up. so he's saying that he also wants the same as the other person. It's not a question of "what did he say?", but a statement instead.
LOL
I thought he/she didn't speak english, so he/she needed a translation.

For me, ^^ has always been a happy face/smiley.

^_^ ----> Happy face.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:54 am

I've almost got the guide ready to go, just going to finish it up. Note that this probably won't be something that the average joe will be able to build. I might build a few in my non-existant spare time and sell them to those who want them.
krawser

Post by krawser » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:38 am

very anxiously waiting for the guide
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:07 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I've almost got the guide ready to go, just going to finish it up. Note that this probably won't be something that the average joe will be able to build. I might build a few in my non-existant spare time and sell them to those who want them.
I'm up for the challenge.

How hard do you think it is? Harder than doing a XenoGC or Viper mod chip installation? Harder than a PS2 mod chip (28 wires) installation?
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:35 am

For sure. But I think it's not too hard. In the first post you see
emu_kidid wrote: Best part of all is that once he gets around to it, instructions on how everyone can build one from a few parts easily found (even certain old PS2 modchips can be modified to do the job - it's that easy) will be released.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:08 am

heh, I take that back. I meant it's easy to find parts :p it's about 28 wires to install (without the wires required to connect it into a GC nor to JTAG flash it the chip with the new code).
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:13 am

I have something like 7-8 cubes in storage so I think I can spare a couple if I do mess up.
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes I got a unmodded cube here too and it would be nice to use a IDE HDD with it I have a 160GB HDD :D
Is a Gamecube modchip also needed or recommended to use the HDD adapter?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:22 am

The tutorial is 99% complete, I just have to upload it etc, you guys should see it by this weekend :D
r3ap3r

Post by r3ap3r » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:11 am

emu_kidid wrote:The tutorial is 99% complete, I just have to upload it etc, you guys should see it by this weekend :D
Excellent I will build about 5 of these as i have access to alot of electrical parts and i also have alot of GC spare parts :D
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:13 am

emu_kidid, did you actually build the adapter from his instructions/notes? I'm curious what the software will be like to select a particular game from the hard drive. Is it controllable from the GC or is it similar to the WODE where you have an on-screen display on the HDD interface.

Hopefully this will be a great weekend: the unveiling of the HDD interface tutorial, the first game of the NFL season. Woot!
r3ap3r

Post by r3ap3r » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:02 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:emu_kidid, did you actually build the adapter from his instructions/notes? I'm curious what the software will be like to select a particular game from the hard drive. Is it controllable from the GC or is it similar to the WODE where you have an on-screen display on the HDD interface.

Hopefully this will be a great weekend: the unveiling of the HDD interface tutorial, the first game of the NFL season. Woot!
If you look at the first post you will see that is it nothing like the WODE as it isn't a DVD replacement, as it is a Hardware, Software combination. Something your thinking of is similar to Crazy Nation's IDE adapter or the DVD Emulator seen on tehskeen from Brakken. Those would have been great but its a shame they didn't come to be.
@emu_kidid: by chance could you happen to have any info of the DVD Emulator from Tehskeen or any files such as the PCB design?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:14 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:emu_kidid, did you actually build the adapter from his instructions/notes? I'm curious what the software will be like to select a particular game from the hard drive. Is it controllable from the GC or is it similar to the WODE where you have an on-screen display on the HDD interface.
I haven't built the adapter myself due to a lack of time & parts, but I wouldn't mind producing 100 of them if there's enough interest and someone has the know-how of how to get a board made for them. Currently, the tutorial is based around modifying old(er) playstation 2 modchips to be reflashed with code to read from a HDD and pass it to the Gamecube via the simple EXI bus.

The software for it requires a modchip or software exploit to boot it (XenoGC/Viper/Qoob/etc or PSOload/Action Replay/etc). The software which will be compatible with this app is basically SD-Boot 0.3 modified to have HDD support via the adapter - so it will have the same compatibility as SD-Boot 0.3.

I am in the process of (blindly) adding support for this adapter to the new (and vastly improved!) SD-Boot, but until I have built myself an adapter, or someone builds me one, support will be slowly added (rather than very quickly) into the new SD-Boot.
gtmtnbiker wrote:@emu_kidid: by chance could you happen to have any info of the DVD Emulator from Tehskeen or any files such as the PCB design?
I have a prototype which will boot Animal Crossing from an SD-Card and a lot of other games, I have access to the code/PCB, but it's still in progress - just at the pace of a snail in a coma :p I can perhaps ask for the source to be handed over to me, but I can't think of anyone else out there with enough knowledge to be of any help yet (hardware wise and to have a lot of free time to work on it with me).

Edit: Project status update on the actual DVD emulator (seen on tehskeen) - I'll be making a post about this one in a few days/weeks! :)