GC + N64 marriage

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
wii_HD

GC + N64 marriage

Post by wii_HD » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:33 am

Nintendo never came through with the N64 Player but this guy did.

http://hackaday.com/2013/01/02/a-gamecu ... more-92471
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
megalomaniac

Re: GC + N64 marriage

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:52 am

I hope this is a marriage with no offspring
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:54 am

It's pretty ugly :)
Air Conditioner

Post by Air Conditioner » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Hailrazer from Modretroand Made by Bacteria made this one.
Formerly Mizumi
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 am

If you guys can do it better, feel free.
APE992

Post by APE992 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:39 am

I'd rather not waste a perfectly good GBA Player to do something that isn't remotely necessary.
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:54 pm

APE992 wrote:I'd rather not waste a perfectly good GBA Player to do something that isn't remotely necessary.
I have seven of them. It wasn't a waste to take something that is not being used and is dirt cheap to buy and turn it into something that I wll use daily.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:29 pm

it's cool to see it all together and I do agree that it's what Nintendo didn't do :D the only pain is to see there is no border around the individual controller ports which makes it look like a copy/paste of parts, so to speak :P
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:39 am

emu_kidid wrote:it's cool to see it all together and I do agree that it's what Nintendo didn't do :D the only pain is to see there is no border around the individual controller ports which makes it look like a copy/paste of parts, so to speak :P
Once again there was no way. I could use a black permanent marker and paint some borders. :P
Johnny_Bigtime

Post by Johnny_Bigtime » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:46 am

@hailrazer I think this and your other portables are bad ass. Keep up the great work!
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:10 pm

It's not a real N64 player without a cartridge port. :(
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:31 pm

BenoitRen wrote:It's not a real N64 player without a cartridge port. :(
Let's see , it has a cart slot inside, it plays every N64 game with original hardware.

Yep that makes it a real N64 player.
APE992

Post by APE992 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:59 am

hailrazer wrote:
Let's see , it has a cart slot inside, it plays every N64 game with original hardware.

Can I plug in my carts without taking it apart? Nope.

Bacteria makes me gag.
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 pm

APE992 wrote:
hailrazer wrote:

Can I plug in my carts without taking it apart? Nope.

Bacteria makes me gag.
Do you need to take it apart to play any N64 game made. No.

What the heck does Bacteria have to do with this ?
Benni

Post by Benni » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:20 pm

???

This is great work.
O.K. some details could be better, but its a nice work.

If you want to take out SD-Card - then solder Card slot near the edge of the case!
PROBLEMS?

If anybody think he could do it better - SHOW RESULTS!
(maybe hellraizer will be inspired, too ;-))
APE992

Post by APE992 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:38 pm

hailrazer wrote: Do you need to take it apart to play any N64 game made. No.
Can I plug my own carts in? No. That is the end of it and adding qualifications such as that doesn't change I can't plug in my carts which in my eyes is a deficiency. You won't change my mind on that point short of an external cart slot and you surely won't make a point repeating yourself in a fashion that completely avoids answering the question in the first place.
hailrazer wrote:If you guys can do it better, feel free.
Benni wrote:If anybody think he could do it better - SHOW RESULTS!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

This false dilemma that keeps getting introduced, it isn't a valid form of logic. Simply claiming "if you can do better why don't ya" attempts to imply that I can't. It's more that I won't bother because there are better things to do with my life. And you can be sure that if I did I'd make an external cart slot because if that Everdrive slips inside you're going to have to dig it out. If you want to update it with new firmware you'll have to dig it out. Short sighted features are something a good modder aims to avoid.
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:06 pm

APE992 wrote:
hailrazer wrote: Do you need to take it apart to play any N64 game made. No.
Can I plug my own carts in? No. That is the end of it and adding qualifications such as that doesn't change I can't plug in my carts which in my eyes is a deficiency. You won't change my mind on that point short of an external cart slot and you surely won't make a point repeating yourself in a fashion that completely avoids answering the question in the first place.
hailrazer wrote:If you guys can do it better, feel free.
Benni wrote:If anybody think he could do it better - SHOW RESULTS!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

This false dilemma that keeps getting introduced, it isn't a valid form of logic. Simply claiming "if you can do better why don't ya" attempts to imply that I can't. It's more that I won't bother because there are better things to do with my life. And you can be sure that if I did I'd make an external cart slot because if that Everdrive slips inside you're going to have to dig it out. If you want to update it with new firmware you'll have to dig it out. Short sighted features are something a good modder aims to avoid.
The problem with your entire logic is that you are assumming that your OPINION is fact and that your OPINION matters.

I made something that no-one else had made. I made it for me. I made it perfect for what I wanted.

I don't give a rats backside if you don't like it or would change it. It's quite obvious you will never make one and most likely can't make one.

And maybe you don't have the talent or ability to take out 4 screws to update a firmware but rest easy , I do.

So go Troll someone else. Apparently you have plenty of time for that.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 pm

guys, seriously?
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:54 pm

To me, it's not a real N64 Player if I can't use my own cartridges. My logic for this is that we're referring to a product Nintendo would have released, similar to the Game Boy Player (which uses cartridges). An official N64 Player would have had an accessible cartridge port to use our own cartridges with.

If it works fine for you, great! But I don't think that makes it a bona fide N64 Player.

There's no need to throw a tantrum when none of us were claiming that what we were saying was fact. We were exchanging opinions just like you. Welcome to a message board!
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:33 pm

Lol @ "welcome to a message board"

I was on message boards befor they were on AOL.

I joined this site because Ashen said it was a good site. But I am beginning to wonder.

My mod has been posted on 12 forums and several dozen news sites. And the only real negative comments were here. Strange as I thought a GameCube forum would embrace creativity. Guess not.

@ "not a N64 Player" . Sigh.... It's a N64 system in a Gameboy Player. It can play original carts or Roms which are original carts that have been saved to another format. You don't want to call it an N64 player. Don't , I never gave it that name.

You don't like the way it looks, the way it smells, the way it feels, the aura it gives . Great, wonderful . But why only post negative things? Reminds me of when Apple or Microsoft comes out with a new product. Message boards light up with all kinds of negative feedback from nobody's who have nothing better to do than piss and moan.

What happened to telling people "good job, nice work".

P.S. Modders mod for themselves. We show our products to others to stimulate creativity. Being treated poorly makes people not want to create. That's the opposite of what this world needs.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 pm

hmmm....

looking this from a different direction....and not to say one thing has anything to do with another....but, just saying...
consider my component cable project....
the component cable was an official product made for GC....but my version looks nothing like it, and does not plug directly into the digital port without an official plug....
so considering this:

1. to argue that my version is no where near the official product version, that is an a valid argument
2. to argue that my version is not user friendly because it requires heavy mods to the GC itself, that is a valid argument
3. to argue that my version is limited to only being able to be used on ONE GC (permanent solder install) unlike the original, that is a valid argument
4. to argue that my version may not look good or sucks because it is not accessible unless you open the GC, that is a valid arguement

everyone has different ideas of what works best for their ideal use....
everyone has different ideas of what looks best to their liking...
everyone should know if you post something on the internet, you have to be willing to take the good and the bad....
the bad can actually be good ....depending only if someone is willing to understand modding never ends and those "bad" comments could be unforeseen benefits to make mods better...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:08 pm

I agree 100%

And believe me I have been modding since 2001. And I moderate on two modding forums and am a member on a dozen. I know all about constructive criticism.

But tell me , how does members negative opinions help or make a Modder better?
Things like "it's ugly", "the LEDs are ugly", "it's not an N64 player", "why not just get an emulator".
Those things are hurtful personal opinions that do no good whatsoever. I do not allow people to act that way on sites I run. It is unprofessional and immature.

Notice I did not take offense at constructive criticism. I would have liked to spread apart the controller ports, I couldn't . I would have liked to put it all in one package. No room .

I take offense at people being negative and rude for absolutely no reason . I expect more for a reputable site. Now if this was Nintendo Age or something like that :)
APE992

Post by APE992 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:48 pm

hailrazer wrote: I don't give a rats backside if you don't like it or would change it. It's quite obvious you will never make one and most likely can't make one.

And maybe you don't have the talent or ability to take out 4 screws to update a firmware but rest easy , I do.

So go Troll someone else. Apparently you have plenty of time for that.
You're right, I'll never make one. But claiming I can't make one is beyond preposterous. And a troll is someone who says something you disagree with?

And to be fair there is no way that at this time I could make a cosmetically better looking version of this thing. I lack the tools and experience with AutoCAD to design a new case. If I was going to do this I'd want to design (and have manufactured) a whole case purpose built to have an N64 on the bottom and GameCube on the top just as you have but with properly sized and spaced holes for the necessary ports and cart slot.

For the cart slot I'd have it installed just like the GBA Player does GBA carts. Because my standards for myself are high I'll likely never rip apart a GBA Player and do this mod. Plus I'd like to have RGB and an overclock switch available on the N64 side because shit if I'm designing an entire case around this project I may as well have the trimmings too. I might even wait for a VGA solution.
Last edited by APE992 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:01 pm

hailrazer wrote:I agree 100%

And believe me I have been modding since 2001. And I moderate on two modding forums and am a member on a dozen. I know all about constructive criticism.

But tell me , how does members negative opinions help or make a Modder better?
Things like "it's ugly", "the LEDs are ugly", "it's not an N64 player", "why not just get an emulator".
Those things are hurtful personal opinions that do no good whatsoever. I do not allow people to act that way on sites I run. It is unprofessional and immature.

Notice I did not take offense at constructive criticism. I would have liked to spread apart the controller ports, I couldn't . I would have liked to put it all in one package. No room .

I take offense at people being negative and rude for absolutely no reason . I expect more for a reputable site. Now if this was Nintendo Age or something like that :)

as i mentioned above...
i guess you could say ugly is one of those comments about everyone having their own idea of what looks best...
...cant do anything about ugly when it concerns other peoples opinions...

but as far as the cardslot, there is a point to be made about accessibility when it comes to updating firmware on your..um...whatever that card thing is called...
i dont imagine you update firmware weekly...if there are weekly builds....but to make life easier...it helps to keep it simple and accessible...
also, SD card accessibility, ok so you have every rom in existence on it....it is still good forward thinking to have it accessible....why? you never know...

...the controller ports, since you had no way to cover gaps or what ever the posted commends and replies were about that....
first thing i thought of was a flip cover kinda like wii...finished and clean looking when not in use...

..any thoughts to making a double-decker gameboy player & the N64, or has the high speed port been removed?

Image Image Image
hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 pm

APE992 wrote:
You're right, I'll never make one. But claiming I can't make one is beyond preposterous. And a troll is someone who says something you disagree with?
I did say "most likely can't ". I left room that there was a chance that you could :)

And sorry for calling you a Troll.

But it does seem that the main reason you are even in this thread is to be argumentative and negative. Your first comment was to say I ruined a Gameboy Player and it was unnecessary , and your second comment was to reply to a discussion not even involving you. That kind of is the definition of trolling. If that wasn't your intent, then once again sorry.
megalomaniac wrote: but as far as the cardslot, there is a point to be made about accessibility when it comes to updating firmware on your..um...whatever that card thing is called...
i dont imagine you update firmware weekly...if there are weekly builds....but to make life easier...it helps to keep it simple and accessible...
also, SD card accessibility, ok so you have every rom in existence on it....it is still good forward thinking to have it accessible....why? you never know...

...the controller ports, since you had no way to cover gaps or what ever the posted commends and replies were about that....
first thing i thought of was a flip cover kinda like wii...finished and clean looking when not in use...

..any thoughts to making a double-decker gameboy player & the N64, or has the high speed port been removed?
Fair enough. But the Everdrive plays 99.9% of the N64 games perfectly. Doubt there would ever be a need to flash it. And 4 screws is kind of easy to remove to get to it.

Flip cover. Guess I could. Don't know what the point would be unless just to make it look more "Gamecube" like.

The port is still there. Guess I could add another Gameboy Player and have the N64 underneath it. But I never play GameBoy games. Soooo.....