Genesis Plus GX v1.7.2 Released

turnerl

Genesis Plus GX v1.7.2 Released

Post by turnerl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:14 am

Just in case anyone missed this http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/

if its already been posted, sorry I will delete.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Genesis Plus GX v1.7.2 Released

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:45 am

cool, thanks :)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:51 am

he works fast, v1.7.3 is out to address some input issue!
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:15 am

hell, time to get mad at some alien soldier again!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
atari2atari

Post by atari2atari » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:14 pm

Greets and Happy New Years, folks!

I've been working with gensgx-1.7.3 - - I was drawn back into fiddling with it since ekeeke added SEGA CD support, which is a HUGE and WONDERFUL development!

I've been encountering the audio glitch/stutter bug that other have reported, though (see google code page for bug discussion)

Has anyone else encountered this? Specifically Lunar 2 and Popful Mail have noticeable audio glitching, especially Lunar 2, even right away on the title screens.

I am using a GameCube with a QOOB chip, Swiss 0.2, a wiiKey SD card adapter, and some various PNY and SANDISK Class 2-4 cards

Transmission rate is the likely culprit for these audio glitches, it seems, based on reading the bug discussions.

I am considering buying a Class 10 or a UHS 1 speed SD card to see if that helps. Before I do that, however . . .

Questions -

- Has anyone with a working Class 10 card and SD adapter tried some SEGA CD games with gensgx 1.7.3 and NOT gotten the audio glitches ? Have you specifically tried Lunar 2, for example ?

- If it IS working without glitches or stutters for you, what Class 10 are you using, and what should I buy that works with Swiss? Amazon has some decent one, but are UHS speed cards supported by Swiss ? ( examples include http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-C ... =pd_cp_e_2 and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VN ... irect=true )

Thanks for any ideas or pointers!

Cheers!

-a2a
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:02 pm

I wouldn't go beyond a class 6 card, the likely limiting factor is not the SD card itself but rather the limited ability of the GameCube to read from the card.

You should get better results if you burn the games to a iso9660 DVD-R as the read-rate from there would be faster and wouldn't block the CPU, giving it more time to process audio and emulate the game itself.
atari2atari

Post by atari2atari » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Thanks, emu. Appreciate the response.

I thought the same thing last night, so I tried a couple of DVD-R burns - -

- one, a bootable DVD-R with gensplus as the boot.dol; it booted, but then locked on launch (the "green flash" screen, and then hangs on that green screen. That green screen is the same one you see briefly when launching gensplus from SD card, and then it usually moves to the emulator menu)

- two, a simple ISO9660+Joliet DVD-R with a few of the "trouble" games on it; booted to gensplus on the SD card, navigated the menu, chose "DVD" as the folder to load from, and then attempted to load a game; the DVD "mounting" icon spins, and then the emulator freezes and hard locks on the menu/DVD mounting screen

Both the bootable DVD-R and the simple ISO9660 DVD-R are browsable via Swiss and Gcos. I can get to them and see all the files.

It just seems like gensplus is unable to currently load and boot from DVDs

If I remember correctly, however, this is a larger issue with the upstream libraries that are being used for ALL these emulators?

I think that snes9xgx stopped working with DVDs somewhere shortly after version 4.1.1 due to that upstream issue.

I will have to now go back and test a bunch of previous versions of gensplusgx and see if and where it loses DVD support.

Bummer! I was looking forward to some SEGA CD . . . !

-a2a

EDIT: Just went and tested genplus version 1.4.0 and it locked trying to browse the DVD, as well. SO, maybe my method/media for DVD is faulty? I will try some alternate media and ways of burning. I was using IMGBURN to make an ISO9660 disc . . .

SECOND EDIT: Ah, here's the discussion I was referencing with regards to the library and inability to load DVD since a few years ago on multiple emus - -

http://devkitpro.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3050

Also, I went back EVEN further, and tried genplus 1.3.1 - - and it loaded and browsed DVDs just fine. :( No Sega CD support back on that 2008 version of the emu, of course . . .

I think what we have here is an end-of-life situation for DVD support, unless someone wants to tackle it or they fix the libraries!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:58 pm

Ah yes, it has been on my todo list for quite some time! Maybe tonight I'll take a look :(
atari2atari

Post by atari2atari » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:12 am

emu_kidid wrote:Ah yes, it has been on my todo list for quite some time! Maybe tonight I'll take a look :(
It currently affects all of the GC emulators based on those libraries, and you would be a hero to many if you could solve that issue!

Well, more of a hero than you already are, I suppose! :)

-a2a
atari2atari

Post by atari2atari » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:10 pm

Without being able to test on a DVD, it's hard to tell if the audio glitching is due to the emulator, or access rates.

Looking at the larger picture in the "Issues" section on the genplus google.code page, you can see that there has been an ongoing struggle with audio issues and the newly adapted Sega CD emulation - -

http://code.google.com/p/genplus-gx/iss ... ail?id=196

Looks like stuttering MAY be resolved while reading Sega CD games from SD cards in a future release.

Or not.

In my reading it also appears that the issue MIGHT be solvable depending on whether one uses BIN, CUE, ISO and how those files were created.

Complex topic, lots of variables . . .

Anyone else been playing with this current release and want to contribute their observations? :)

-a2a
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:08 pm

I played Popful Mail with a 2GB class 4 SD card so I could hear the audio glitches. It made the game kind of irritating. Sometimes the audio cut out for a split second, sometimes it made a 'errrt' sound. The opening video cut out audio every few seconds and in-game speaking was worse. "I'm a errrt-bounty unter, not a errrt-baby errt-sitter, ub." No good.

I moved the same dol and rom to a 32GB class 10 and everything was fine. No audio glitches in-game. Everyone speaks clear and there is no 'errt' sounds. The audio doesn't cut out when characters are talking, but the opening video clip still had a few problems. Lost sound one or two times for a split second. Nowhere near the problems it had on the class 4 card.

The SD card is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I Class 10 30MB/s. Works with Swiss just fine.

I think I'll play Popful Mail some more tonight and I'll try Lunar 2 if I get the chance later.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:44 pm

how does it play in Swiss, games have less stutter?
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 am

I havn't noticed any stutters or problems since I went to that card. It even plays Double Dash without problems. That was the only game I played that had much of a stutter. I was on an older version of swiss for awhile and wasn't updating my version regularly, like I do now. I'm sure that helps with my game play and compatibility too.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:00 am

I think I'll need to try a Class 10 card out ;)
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:27 am

Well, Lunar 2 still has audio disruptions with the class 10 card. Not as bad as the class 4 card, but it is still there. Popful Mail plays almost perfect. Maybe future releases of Gen Plus will be able to read from dvd properly.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:54 am

I should make it priority. do you have a modchip like a XenoGC?
siphoned

Post by siphoned » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:49 pm

I was using XenoGC.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:16 pm

ok, good to know.
atari2atari

Post by atari2atari » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 pm

siphoned wrote:I played Popful Mail with a 2GB class 4 SD card so I could hear the audio glitches. It made the game kind of irritating. Sometimes the audio cut out for a split second, sometimes it made a 'errrt' sound. The opening video cut out audio every few seconds and in-game speaking was worse. "I'm a errrt-bounty unter, not a errrt-baby errt-sitter, ub." No good.

I moved the same dol and rom to a 32GB class 10 and everything was fine. No audio glitches in-game. Everyone speaks clear and there is no 'errt' sounds. The audio doesn't cut out when characters are talking, but the opening video clip still had a few problems. Lost sound one or two times for a split second. Nowhere near the problems it had on the class 4 card.

The SD card is a Sandisk Ultra 32GB SDHC I Class 10 30MB/s. Works with Swiss just fine.

I think I'll play Popful Mail some more tonight and I'll try Lunar 2 if I get the chance later.
That's great information, siphoned! Thanks for chipping in!

And, very importantly - - thanks for the brand and model of your working Class 10! I will have to pick one up.

Yeah, it'd be amazing if you can fix the DVD support, emu, but it sure seems like a "deep" issue - - it's in every emulator release to-date based on that library! :(

-a2a
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:17 pm

it's not a deep issue, just needs about an hour of my free time, which is non-existent until mid April at least.
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:42 pm

I'm running the emulator under Datel SD Media Launcher and using this SD card- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OM81SU/

Popful Mail has some minor audio issues in the opening scene. I heard nothing bad during the spoken dialog scenes in the game. It's BIN/CUE format.