Hu-Go! GX unofficial

Discuss emulation on the Gamecube here
megalomaniac

Hu-Go! GX unofficial

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Hu-Go! GX unofficial

this is officially the unofficial release...version 2.12.1
please read the change log posted below to familiarize yourselves with the additions or changes in this release.

im not sure if i got everything correct with PAL resolutions since i dont have a PAL tv..My monitor can handle PAL signals but i dont know if i got the correct aspects. if there are any issues snap a photo and post it up so i can see what it looks like..if you know how to fix it, post it and ill add the changes, else ill just have to guess..

anyone wanna create a new menu backdrop??

Code: Select all

02/14/2013: ( Version 2.12.1 - unofficial NGC release )
-----------
[NGC]
- Various code changes to fix compiler errors and supress "most" compiler warnings
- Fixed start up crash which occurs after compiling against latest resources (devkitPPC r26 and libogc 1.8.11.1)
- Updated automatic TV mode detection (based on GC IPL version)
- SDHC support
- Added Safemode Menu display:
   . Force Menu to display 480i video with Digital Component cable (CRT SDTV compatibility)
   . Hold START button during bootup to activate
- Video display enhancements. Supported video types:
   . 480i/480p normal/stretch
   . 576i/576p normal/stretch
   . 240p TGX native resolution
   . Progressive video option is only displayed if Component cable is detected
- (EXPERIMENTAL) Added reconfigurable video modes and video mode enhancements in OPTIONS menu:
   . Force Interlaced or Progressive mode over Digital Component cable as in game display
- (EXPERIMENTAL) Slow Motion Support: use R trigger to turn on/off (rapid pause)
- X Y Rapid Fire buttons fix:
   . Removed the need to press "L" button + Rapid Fire button to activate/deactivate
   . Single press of button X or Y will now activate/deactivate Rapid Fire
   . Resolved open issue #21 on official googlecode
- Added "Stop DVD Motor" command at bootup
- Menu enhancements:
   . Fixed Menu to correctly display "Stop DVD Motor" option
   . WRAM manager moved to OPTIONS menu
   . Startup "Credits" moved to OPTIONS menu
Attachments
hugo_cube.rar
DOL
(273.24 KiB) Downloaded 2937 times
hugo-gx-source.rar
source
(334 KiB) Downloaded 2136 times
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
julius

Re: Hu-Go! GX unofficial

Post by julius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 pm

Nice. Maybe in the future we´ll have support for super-cd games. Keep the good work.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:10 am

julius wrote:Nice. Maybe in the future we´ll have support for super-cd games. Keep the good work.

according to the change log:
14/06/2008:
added preliminary Super CD-ROM support: Data only (.ISO & .BIN image files), no CDDA track support

other than titles not having audio as mentioned in the change log, can you test the superCD titles and report back with how it works?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
julius

Post by julius » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:08 pm

He he, I did not remember the change log of previous releases, my bad, but once I fix my other corrupted micro sd, I´ll download some titles and will report back.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:22 pm

hehe, thanx for the unofficial hugo gx, megalomaniac :)
it works, my 32gb sdhc card reads fine and loads up nestompia perfectly :)
now for Dracula X jap version super CD.

great work on getting the build to work on a gc and on SDHC's
julius

Post by julius » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:48 pm

I tried with a normal pce game (Devil´s Crush) and wor ked well, but then I tried with a super cd game (Castlevania Dracula X) in iso format and it gives me a syscard.pce error. I´m going to look for that file and try it again.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:23 pm

a ROM image of the System Card (better use 3.0) must be renamed as syscard.pce and placed into /hugo directory

also, did devils crush work on the last official release??
on the hugogx googlecode page, issue #25 devils crush causes a system crash with garbage displayed and lockup

Image Image Image
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:12 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
a ROM image of the System Card (better use 3.0) must be renamed as syscard.pce and placed into /hugo directory

on the hugogx googlecode page, issue #25 devils crush causes a system crash with garbage displayed and lockup
devil's crush? sounds interesting. i'll give it a go.

about castlevania X, i loaded the.iso up and got the super CD v3 screen and pressed start and got a "load error"?

and this having the Syspe.pce bios of the jap game in it's respective place.
i found a system pack for bios both jap and us. will place them all in hugo gx and test them out.

strange why the bios doesn't load up castlevania dracula x like it should.
julius

Post by julius » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:19 pm

Gamerlolwind wrote:
megalomaniac wrote:

devil's crush? sounds interesting. i'll give it a go.

about castlevania X, i loaded the.iso up and got the super CD v3 screen and pressed start and got a "load error"?

i found a system pack for bios both jap and us. will place them all in hugo gx and test them out.

The same problem as Gamerlolwind with Castlevania, maybe it is a problem with path structure, but it should be something easy to solve. About Devil's Crush, I think it should work with the latest official build, since the first time I played this game was using a PCEngine emulator in my GBA and it worked well.
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:20 pm

Fushigi no Yumi no Alice has some issues, when you start the game sometimes it freezes or controller not respond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMqs-4XJjyk
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Gamerlolwind wrote: about castlevania X, i loaded the.iso up and got the super CD v3 screen and pressed start and got a "load error"?

path to the syscard is hugo/syscard.pce
i did notice dracula X is not defined in the romlist...
maybe adding an entry will help?
i dont know much about hugo or tgfx so if any other CD title will load up, let me know and ill see about adding draculaX to the romlist...

#define DEFAULT_PATH "/hugo"

/* load SYSCARD ROM image */
sprintf(fname,"%s/syscard.pce", DEFAULT_PATH);
Aressi wrote:Fushigi no Yumi no Alice has some issues, when you start the game sometimes it freezes or controller not respond

everything is working fine here

Attachments
alice.jpg
(123.72 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:33 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
Gamerlolwind wrote: about castlevania X, i loaded the.iso up and got the super CD v3 screen and pressed start and got a "load error"?

path to the syscard is hugo/syscard.pce
i did notice dracula X is not defined in the romlist...
maybe adding an entry will help?
i dont know much about hugo or tgfx so if any other CD title will load up, let me know and ill see about adding draculaX to the romlist...

#define DEFAULT_PATH "/hugo"

/* load SYSCARD ROM image */
sprintf(fname,"%s/syscard.pce", DEFAULT_PATH);
asweome, megalomaniac :)
this sounds like a plan

i'd like that feature implemented for playing Castlevania Dracula X.
this would help alot :)
Aressi wrote:Fushigi no Yumi no Alice has some issues, when you start the game sometimes it freezes or controller not respond

everything is working fine here

Image[/quote]

Fushigi no Yumi no Alice, hahah nice screenshot. looks great. it's a funny game. haven't tried it but from the screenshot i got laughs
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Will this ever support a 6-button control pad? I know not many games used it but those that did are rather unplayable.

It'd probably mean giving up the rapid fire buttons but in my playing I never use them.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 pm

6 button???
name one game

Edit:
Posting this as a reminder to myself

In 1993, a PC-Engine version of Street Fighter II Dash was produced by NEC Avenue and released in Japan on June 12. A six-button controller was released specifically for the game. When the game is played on a standard PC-Engine controller, then the Run button is used, along with the I and II buttons, as attack buttons, with the Select button used to toggle between punches and kicks.

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:58 am

i should be able to make a new controller type and add this option to the main menu..
all i need to know is which GC buttons to use and remap to make the controller feel the most natural for LP MP HP & LK MK HK ???
let me know which buttons to use...

btw, turbo will be removed for the 6 button layout option

Image Image Image
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:56 am

There was also Strip Fighter II, the Japan-only mediocre fighting game, that used it. I wasn't aware it was just those 2 games though. Did any of the CD games use it?

I use a PS1 controller via adapter for most of my emulation on the Gamecube as it works better than the stock controller. That has a layout similar to the SNES. With that, assuming the high attacks are buttons 3 and 6 then A-1, X-2, R-3, B-4, Y-5, L-6. Same would possibly hold true if someone was using a SNES controller though I'm not sure how it handles button mapping to the Gamecube.

Using with a stock Gamecube controller, or the Hori GB Player controller, that'd be hard to say.
julius

Post by julius » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:38 pm

megalomaniac wrote:
julius wrote:Nice. Maybe in the future we´ll have support for super-cd games. Keep the good work.

14/06/2008:
added preliminary Super CD-ROM support: Data only (.ISO & .BIN image files), no CDDA track support

other than titles not having audio as mentioned in the change log, can you test the superCD titles and report back with how it works?
Yep, as you said Akumajo Dracula X.bin worked for me but with no sound, only sfx sounds and music on some stages, just like Nitrografx for NDS. Same rom tested in another PCE emu for gamecube and music worked, but controls were a mess.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:41 pm

julius wrote:
megalomaniac wrote:

14/06/2008:

Yep, as you said Akumajo Dracula X.bin worked for me but with no sound, only sfx sounds and music on some stages, just like Nitrografx for NDS. Same rom tested in another PCE emu for gamecube and music worked, but controls were a mess.
can you provide info on how you set that up and got it to work?
i tried a few days and couldnt accomplish anything....it would help if i at least knew how to start the title to begin with....
that CD menu is confusing to me because ive never used anything like it before...

Image Image Image
julius

Post by julius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Of course bro, this is my configuration:

/hugo/roms/ =here is where I put my roms
/hugo/ = here is where I placed the bios rom, renamed to syscard.pce

Just select the .bin file you want to boot and the super cd bios screen will be diplayed, in this moment just press start and here comes the most important part: be patient. After a few seconds the game screen will be displayed. Maybe I was about to see that screen a lot of times that I was trying to play super cd games but since in the documentation we were not warned about this, I thought the emulator could not handle these games. Little details like this and how to boot games on neo cd would be useful state them in the documentation in order to save time and headaches to users.

Tested with ´´Akumajou_Dracula_X_-_Chi_no_Rinne_(NTSC-J)_[KMCD3005]_[T+Eng].bin´´ and ´´Bikini Girls [CD][AK BIKINI SRCR 01][Excite Software][PCE].bin´´ .
Good luck.
kerframil

Post by kerframil » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:06 am

The unofficial build has a few issues as compared to the official build. The PAL50 mode:
  • exhibits severe graphical corruption towards the bottom of the screen
  • runs unevenly (even taking into consideration the reduction to 50Hz)
  • causes the emulator to throw an exception after a second ROM is loaded
Not that I would ever actually use the PAL50 mode but I saw that it was there and figured it was worth testing. In my opinion, it's not worth having a PAL 50 mode. Even though I inhabit a PAL using territory, I can't see the point because:
  • all HDTVs are supporting NTSC - irrespective of the territory
  • all CRT TVs should support the superior 240p mode
  • most CRT TVs are also supporting PAL60
All the other video modes seem to work fine. Which brings me on to my next point ...

The options menu is very confusing. The "Region" option actually defines the video mode (not the console region). The "Video" option shows whether the video output is interlaced or progressive (which would be implied by the video mode). Finally, the option to switch to the 240p video mode is provided by the "Aspect > PCE 240" option, even though it has nothing to do with the aspect ratio!

It all seems very jumbled up. I think that it would be more logical if all the video modes were simply exposed by the "Video" option. For example: 240p, NTSC, PAL60 and 480p (the latter only being shown if a component cable is plugged in). With NTSC and PAL60, it's a given that they are interlaced modes so I don't think it's necessary to have a field showing that separately. To make it even easier to understand, the NTSC and PAL60 options could be shown as "480i (NTSC)" and "480i (PAL60)".

In various other emulators, the option to switch to 240p mode is described as "Original" when selecting a video/display mode so that would be another way of going about it.

Anyway, apart from the dodgy PAL50 mode, the emulator is working well. Thanks for keeping it going!

EDIT: One more issue is that the desired video mode doesn't seem to persist. For example, if the emulator is loaded on a PAL Cube with a SCART cable, it always sets PAL60 (which isn't necessarily the optimal mode).
Last edited by kerframil on Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:12 am

hmmmn...thanks for pointing this out, but this was all resolved in the new version...
which new version?

hehe...oops, i forgot to upload changes to official svn...
ill double check my changes and get a new release out soon

Image Image Image
kerframil

Post by kerframil » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:20 am

megalomaniac wrote:hmmmn...thanks for pointing this out, but this was all resolved in the new version...
which new version?

hehe...oops, i forgot to upload changes to official svn...
ill double check my changes and get a new release out soon
That's great news! Thanks for responding.
LexxB3K

Post by LexxB3K » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:53 pm

thanks for Hu-Go! GX unofficial, great "support SDHC Card"

1. but in video option: "interlaced" lock, i press left button or right but nothing, in official version: video option have original and interlaced.

2. "aspect" bad show pictures on "normal" but PCE 240 good! in official 2.12 "original" is good)

3. Game Magical Chase, have background bug, blinking on GX unofficial, on officiale 2.12 is ok, meybe "interlaced" bad work, I can not change to "original"

4. that this a "WRAM" real time save?
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Any Updates

When will the latest version be out?

I have Hugo GX 100613 it's not perfect but plays No 6 Button yet

I have a request for Control Config for both 2 Button and 6 Button

B - II A - I Y - IV X - III
L - V R - VI Start - Run Z - Select

My Set up usiing my SNES to GC/Wii Adapter

Y - II
B - I
X - IV
A - III
L - V
R - VI

So while using the Super NES Config II & I are on Y & B ..Using a Hori Pad it would be II & I to B & A

But that would have a Input Config
badsector

Post by badsector » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:32 pm

It doesn't even start from the WKF on my Cube.

EDIT: My fault. I did not have a SD card in my SD Gecko, when I tried :/ Never mind!