RetroArch GX - Gamecube - v0.9.8.3

bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:48 am

http://multiupload.biz/lgs0a2k2jofe/ret ... z.zip.html

https://anonfiles.com/file/3e94a116f34c ... d737190351

OK - I'm taking a risk here with this release - normally I can test out Gamecube builds on my 64MB SD card with a Wiikey SD Adapter, but I have lost it and my 512MB SD card is not picked up by SDLOAD.DOL (to add to the chore I also have to go through the Phantasy Star Online exploit everytime). So I have been unable to test this beforehand even though a lot of things got changed. I'm mostly assuming that since the Wii port works, the Gamecube port (being more or less the same code) will also.

So - please let me know if the Gamecube version boots at all (either by launching the cores directly from SWISS or SDLOAD or by trying to launch boot.dol) -
I tried it and it was beyond my expection! Even CPS2 games could run at full speed! Though only one game (Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo) could run, others CPS2 games got code dump screen after ROM was loaded. I think they are just too big for Gamecube RAM. I alse tried Nestopia core and it ran super mario 3 perfectly.
FBA core is too big and swiss won't let you boot it. If you could seperate CPS1 drivers out and compile it then we could get a perfect CPS1 emu for Gamecube.
FBA Neo Geo core also works as good as CPS2 core. More small sized games work, but if you want to change one game from another, you have to reset Gamecube, or you will only get black screen after another ROM is loaded. Maybe this bug is related to unclean RAM.
Boot.dol doesn't work and after loaded it with Swiss, only black screen shows.
After all, it shows brilliant prospects to Gamecube fans.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: RetroArch GX - Gamecube - v0.9.8.3

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:59 am

Get them to write a good generic ARAM ROM cache for the GameCube and you should be set for all emulators to not run out of memory (CPS2 especially).
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 am

emu_kidid wrote:Get them to write a good generic ARAM ROM cache for the GameCube and you should be set for all emulators to not run out of memory (CPS2 especially).
This may be impossible. They have no intention of paying too much attention on GC port.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:15 pm

sweet, cheers! gonna try this
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 pm

Regarding the Gamecube port -

I think it's best if we make each libretro core for Gamcube standalone instead of trying to do this 'core switching' on the Gamecube - it simply isn't sustainable and scaleable since we have to copy the DOL to ARAM (around 16MB) everytime we want to do a core switch - I could be thinking of better uses for that extra block of 16MB RAM instead of going it to waste like that - plus it isn't really stable anyways and I expect most people will just be loading the DOL files directly from some loader.

I'm going to release a new version of the Gamecube port with that in mind - it will also have a CPS1 FBA Cores (I really can't believe you couldn't even play CPS1 games on a Gamecube properly without GC Linux)
http://gbatemp.net/threads/retroarch-a- ... st-4553706
diosoth

Post by diosoth » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 pm

What really bugs me about certain Gamecube homebrew apps is that so many of them only seem to work well on the Wii. I wanted to run GC Quake but it looks like the only updated versions require a Wii to work right.

Can they even call it Gamecube homebrew if it doesn't work right on the Gamecube? I mean, if you're going to call it Gamecube homebrew it should at least work right on an actual Gamecube, either that or call it Wii homebrew.
Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:06 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Get them to write a good generic ARAM ROM cache for the GameCube and you should be set for all emulators to not run out of memory (CPS2 especially).
By all means - if you feel it can be done, help us out in this endeavor. The fba-libretro source is all available on Github as is RetroArch itself.

Still - 16MB ARAM is still not a whole lot - there are CPS2 ROMs that are over 23MB (such as Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Alpha 3) - so you would be looking at maybe sprite memory going into ARAM (if it fits since it's usually the largest aspect of the game ROM), then the remaining stuff on the 24MB RAM, and if that doesn't pan out (due to framebuffers also taking up their own memory) - a bit of virtual memory for some segments of the game RAM.

And to put this in perspective right now with the CPS1 core - loading Dinosaurs & Cadillacs into RAM leaves me with 20MB out of the 24MB of the 1T-SRAM RAM filled. Dinosaurs & Cadillacs' ZIP file is around 4.4MB or so. A typical CPS2 game like Street Fighter Alpha 2 weighs in at 12MB (and more in most cases). So we're already talking a tight squeeze with just the CPS1 core and a ~4MB ZIPped ROM.

Really, getting games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 to run on Cube will be one hell of an achievement (and a big, big hack). I mean - Street Fighter Alpha 3 BARELY fits on an Xbox 1 with fba-libretro (and by barely I mean maybe 1 or 0.50MB remaining) - and that is a system with 64MB of unified memory. Gamecube's theoretical max of 43MB is well below that - so it isn't as easy making CPS2 ROMs fit in the Gamecube's RAM as you would believe.

Also - speed is of no issue (that is without taking into consideration virtual memory or memory streaming which could have the potential to drastically reduce speed) - I've benchmarked the Gamecube and it has better performance than an ARM Cortex A8 Android tablet (about 10+fps in Donkey Kong Country 1 at World 2-1 with SNES9x Next). That tablet runs almost all CPS2 games fullspeed (except for Marvel Vs Capcom when there is a lot of sprite activity going on) - so if the RAM issue can be sorted out, all CPS2 games could be running fullspeed on Cube.

But yeah - back to the central issue - I'd like some coders to start participating in this endeavor because I can't do it all and I have a lot of other stuff to do as well (Blackberry/iOS port of RetroArch - ScummVM libretro finishing up - MAME 0.78 libretro finishing up - potential Mupen64 libretro port - and on and on) - I bite off more than I can chew at times.
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:29 pm

Squarepusher wrote:
But yeah - back to the central issue - I'd like some coders to start participating in this endeavor because I can't do it all and I have a lot of other stuff to do as well (Blackberry/iOS port of RetroArch - ScummVM libretro finishing up - MAME 0.78 libretro finishing up - potential Mupen64 libretro port - and on and on) - I bite off more than I can chew at times.
welcome to the forums and hell yeah! Blackberry!! the gamecube release was awesome, but a bb release? maaaan, you got me! :mrgreen:
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
julius

Post by julius » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:41 pm

Since we don´t have cps1 core yet and cps2 only runs super puzzle fighter 2, do you have any neo geo core compatibility list?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:53 am

Squarepusher wrote:
By all means - if you feel it can be done, help us out in this endeavor. The fba-libretro source is all available on Github as is RetroArch itself.

Still - 16MB ARAM is still not a whole lot - there are CPS2 ROMs that are over 23MB (such as Vampire Savior and Street Fighter Alpha 3) - so you would be looking at maybe sprite memory going into ARAM (if it fits since it's usually the largest aspect of the game ROM), then the remaining stuff on the 24MB RAM, and if that doesn't pan out (due to framebuffers also taking up their own memory) - a bit of virtual memory for some segments of the game RAM.

And to put this in perspective right now with the CPS1 core - loading Dinosaurs & Cadillacs into RAM leaves me with 20MB out of the 24MB of the 1T-SRAM RAM filled. Dinosaurs & Cadillacs' ZIP file is around 4.4MB or so. A typical CPS2 game like Street Fighter Alpha 2 weighs in at 12MB (and more in most cases). So we're already talking a tight squeeze with just the CPS1 core and a ~4MB ZIPped ROM.

Really, getting games like Street Fighter Alpha 3 to run on Cube will be one hell of an achievement (and a big, big hack). I mean - Street Fighter Alpha 3 BARELY fits on an Xbox 1 with fba-libretro (and by barely I mean maybe 1 or 0.50MB remaining) - and that is a system with 64MB of unified memory. Gamecube's theoretical max of 43MB is well below that - so it isn't as easy making CPS2 ROMs fit in the Gamecube's RAM as you would believe.

Also - speed is of no issue (that is without taking into consideration virtual memory or memory streaming which could have the potential to drastically reduce speed) - I've benchmarked the Gamecube and it has better performance than an ARM Cortex A8 Android tablet (about 10+fps in Donkey Kong Country 1 at World 2-1 with SNES9x Next). That tablet runs almost all CPS2 games fullspeed (except for Marvel Vs Capcom when there is a lot of sprite activity going on) - so if the RAM issue can be sorted out, all CPS2 games could be running fullspeed on Cube.

You can only DMA to ARAM so if games are expecting ROM files to sit in a flat array you might need to write some on-demand 2 level cache. Example, you make a static block of rom[] that is a fixed size, before any access to it is made, copy the chunk you need from ARAM to the smaller rom[] block and off you go. As for ARAM being 16MB (16384-40KB actually), you'd load the first 16MB of a ROM into there and if the block you need to fetch from ARAM to MEM1 isn't there, then, worst case, you stream a block from the file system into ARAM then it'll be fetched to MEM1.

It's what we did in cube64 and it worked well in most cases.
Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:06 pm

emu_kidid wrote: You can only DMA to ARAM so if games are expecting ROM files to sit in a flat array you might need to write some on-demand 2 level cache. Example, you make a static block of rom[] that is a fixed size, before any access to it is made, copy the chunk you need from ARAM to the smaller rom[] block and off you go. As for ARAM being 16MB (16384-40KB actually), you'd load the first 16MB of a ROM into there and if the block you need to fetch from ARAM to MEM1 isn't there, then, worst case, you stream a block from the file system into ARAM then it'll be fetched to MEM1.

I'm not sure if it's going to work out as well for arcade games.

Only way to know for sure is to try. One problem I have with this approach is that if we are going to do something like this, it should be done portably - because no way in hell am I going to butcher the FBA codebase beyond belief just for one niche (and dead) platform like Gamecube - everything I do to the FBA codebase has to be 'clean enough' so that it can be merged upstream. All my commits get sent back to upstream so we have to try to do this as clean and non-obtrusive as possible.

So in that light - if you guys can come up with something that works AND that is not too bad portability-wise (ie. everything should be ifdeffable for Gamecube only, none of that code should affect the other platforms that don't need this - and the code shouldn't look like an utter mess) - then go ahead, try it out. If you have something - do some pull requests and we'll put it in.

My prime concern right now is virtual memory paging for Wii/Xbox 1 (for some of the bigger Neo Geo ROMs that don't fit) - so if somebody can research solutions for Gamecube at the same time that would mean we could get more work done in less time.
s8n187

Post by s8n187 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:24 pm

You can only DMA to ARAM so if games are expecting ROM files to sit in a flat array you might need to write some on-demand 2 level cache. Example, you make a static block of rom[] that is a fixed size, before any access to it is made, copy the chunk you need from ARAM to the smaller rom[] block and off you go. As for ARAM being 16MB (16384-40KB actually), you'd load the first 16MB of a ROM into there and if the block you need to fetch from ARAM to MEM1 isn't there, then, worst case, you stream a block from the file system into ARAM then it'll be fetched to MEM1.

to me this sounds like genius at work , remember emu_kidid is a Gamecube coding god with a lot of success and experience.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Or write virtual memory (TLB) code of your own and it'll be pretty ifdef'able for GC. Then you can just do point that static ROM array to a ARAM based virtual store. Tueidj has written one, but it has a hard license on it.
Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 am

Here is version 0.9.8.4.

I made a CPS1 core as requested - all CPS1 games should fit into the Gamecube's memory.

Wii build (0.9.8.4): https://anonfiles.com/file/c63b1960ed5c ... 2f735b4582
Mirror: http://multiupload.biz/dyyy0jil9mfm/ret ... SFxHNGVthE

GameCube build (0.9.8.4): https://anonfiles.com/file/243a0c175272 ... f01ddc108c
Mirror: http://multiupload.biz/8xdft2vuve14/ret ... SFxmtGVthE
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
v0.9.8.4
* [NEStopia] Famicom Disk System support. For Android users - put disksys.rom
into the same folder as the FDS ROM you're trying to load. For everyone else -
put disksys.rom into your system directory.
- Y Button will switch sides of a disk.
- If you get any problems of the sort DISK A / B ERR 07' - pressing Y button again or letting it run its course should do it.
- NOTE - Famicom Disk System loading is slow, so you might be tempted to fast forward through most of it. However, I'd advise caution when doing so and to savestate regularly in case 'fast forwarding' can negatively affect disk loading.
* [FBA core] Various changes/fixes
- Hook up Eco Fighters controls (Turn 1/Turn 2 bound to L and R buttons)
- Hook up Pnickie controls (Turn 1/Turn 2 bound to L and R buttons - press
one of the buttons to progress beyond start screen)
- Hook up Continental Circus controls - Brake 2/Brake 3 (L1/L2 buttons)
and Accelerate 2/Accelerate 3 (R1/R2 buttons)
- Hook up Gun Smoke controls - Start button (needed to progress beyond
title screen)
- Hook up Mighty Pang controls (P1 Shot1/P1 Shot2/P2 Shot1/P2 Shot2)
- Fixed Varia Metal palette
- Fixed Fairyland Story palette
- Fixed Return of the Invaders palette
- Fixed Act-Fancer palette issue
- Endian fixes in the following games (PS3/360/Wii/Gamecube) -
- Surprise Attack
- Rollergames
- Ultra Man
- Oh My Gods
- Moonwalker (Sega System 18 bootleg) [magicseb]
- Hyper Pac
- Snow Bros 1
- Honey Dolls
- Fixes pitch issue in Gals Hustle (will possibly fix more games as well)
* [FBA core] [For Wii/Gamecube/Xbox 1 only] The main FBA version now has CPS1/CPS2/
Neogeo and Mega Drive/PC Engine drivers removed. To play CPS1, use FBA Cores CPS1.
To play CPS2, use FBA Cores CPS2. To play NeoGeo, use FBA Cores Neo.
* [FBA core] Made FBA Cores CPS1 - use this to play CPS1 games (all CPS1 ROMs
fit into memory on Gamecube).
* [Android] Fixed regression where a button bound to AKEYCODE_BACK would 'exit out'
of RetroArch.
* [Android] Fixes Madcatz fighting stick being autodetected properly.
* [Android] Input autodetection expanded -
- iControlpad
* [Gamecube] Made RetroArch cores 'standalone' - ie. no core switching.
* [Xbox 1] Add Low RAM mode - this needs to be used to play games that won't otherwise fit into RAM,
such as Street Fighter Alpha 3/Vampire Savior and other big ROMs in FBA Cores CPS2/NeoGeo/FBA.
* [Unzipping [All consoles/Android]] Moved from rzlib to miniz/minizip -should increase compatibility
with ZIP archives
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:22 am

Squarepusher wrote:Here is version 0.9.8.4.

I made a CPS1 core as requested - all CPS1 games should fit into the Gamecube's memory.

GameCube build (0.9.8.4): https://anonfiles.com/file/243a0c175272 ... f01ddc108c
v0.9.8.4
- If you get any problems of the sort DISK A / B ERR 07' - pressing Y button again or letting it run its course should do it.
- NOTE - Famicom Disk System loading is slow, so you might be tempted to fast forward through most of it. However, I'd advise caution when doing so and to savestate regularly in case 'fast forwarding' can negatively affect disk loading.
title screen)
- Surprise Attack
- Rollergames
- Ultra Man
- Oh My Gods
- Hyper Pac
- Snow Bros 1
- Honey Dolls
* [FBA core] [For Wii/Gamecube/Xbox 1 only] The main FBA version now has CPS1/CPS2/
Neogeo and Mega Drive/PC Engine drivers removed. To play CPS1, use FBA Cores CPS1.
* [Android] Fixed regression where a button bound to AKEYCODE_BACK would 'exit out'
of RetroArch.
- iControlpad
* [Xbox 1] Add Low RAM mode - this needs to be used to play games that won't otherwise fit into RAM,
such as Street Fighter Alpha 3/Vampire Savior and other big ROMs in FBA Cores CPS2/NeoGeo/FBA.
* [Unzipping [All consoles/Android]] Moved from rzlib to miniz/minizip -should increase compatibility
with ZIP archives
Thank you very much. I will test it as soon as I get home.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:22 am

Yes, thank you! The Android build is quite awesome too! You guys are doing amazing work! :D
bearteam

Post by bearteam » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 am

Squarepusher wrote:Here is version 0.9.8.4.

v0.9.8.4
title screen)
- Surprise Attack
- Rollergames
- Ultra Man
- Oh My Gods
- Hyper Pac
- Snow Bros 1
- Honey Dolls
of RetroArch.
- iControlpad
with ZIP archives
I tested it and CPS1 games ran all very well :)
Of course, it also has some bugs.
Switching games often crashes the emu; FBA main core does not work, I tried Contra and Super Contra and they all crashed the emu and reboot the Gamecube.
I have a small request: can you disable ROM CRC check in the next release? I want to play a CPS game(WOFCH3P.ZIP) which is only supported in FBA shuffle. With ROM CRC check , I can not run a hacked ROM.
Here's the resource code for WOFCH3P in FBAS.
static void wofch3p_decode()
{
// Fix blood color
CpsRom[0x7715] = 0x60;
// Enable 3 Players
CpsRom[0xED928] = 0x1;
// Enable hidden mode
CpsRom[0xED946] = 0x1;

wof_decode();
}
Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:02 am

Regarding the 'bugs' in FBA - It simply runs out of memory every time you try to load another game and it doesn't work - that and I bet there are still some memory leaks lurking somewhere inside the FBA codebase.

FBA alone is a huge monolithic app that was never really designed with the Gamecube's paltry amount of RAM in mind (that it's segmented unlike the Xbox 1's contiguous block of memory makes what little it has even worse to allocate).

Anyway, virtual memory is no panacea - it will always be far, far slower than main RAM by default - and its performance will be heavily contingent on file I/O speeds. That's why I try to avoid having to go downthat route until it becomes absolutely positively necessary (such as for big Neo-Geo ROMs on Wii/Xbox 1). It's a desperate last resort more than anything else.
Aressi

Post by Aressi » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:23 pm

very nice job, super puzzle fighter 2 plays perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gjWamuqFcI
Squarepusher

Post by Squarepusher » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Aressi wrote:very nice job, super puzzle fighter 2 plays perfect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gjWamuqFcI
You might have some luck getting some of the smaller CPS2 games to load as well.

I have not tried this myself yet, but games you could try and see if they load into RAM are -

* Eco Fighters
* Mega Man Power Battle (part 1)
* Street Fighter Alpha 1

They might be too big or they might just 'manage' to fit - Street Fighter Alpha 1 is about 2MB more than Puzzle Fighter, Eco Fighters is around 2 and a half MB more, Mega Man Power Battle should be smaller than Puzzle Fighter.
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 pm

@Squarepusher

Great work on bringing both Capcom CPS systems to GameCube.

Only tried a few smaller games with the Alpha core most code dump or reset the Cube but The Fairyland Story works although the palette is wrong and framerate is lower than the wii version.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:05 pm

I tried a few more small (100kb) working games with the alpha core (which takes a few seconds to load btw)

New Rally X - spacing issue on the score otherwise appears to work okay.
Wonderboy.
Solomons Key.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
julius

Post by julius » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:19 pm

I cannot load games with the fab core or neo-geo core, only with cps1 core (Strider, Air Wing, Capcom WOld 2), and cps2 core (Super Puzzle Fighter 2). What did you do to make this two cores to work?
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:20 pm

julius wrote:I cannot load games with the fab core or neo-geo core, only with cps1 core (Strider, Air Wing, Capcom WOld 2), and cps2 core (Super Puzzle Fighter 2). What did you do to make this two cores to work?
Neo Geo core needs neogeo bios in the retroarch system folder.

Alpha core is too big for GC - it needs smashing up :) - as it only works with real small games <150K - however its great to play to these games on GameCube in the first place.
julius

Post by julius » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:39 pm

I have the neogeo.zip in the system folder, but no luck with neo geo games. Have you confirmed any one to work?