WKF Autoboot discovered

LOCtronicz

WKF Autoboot discovered

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:06 pm

Mega do you have a ipl 1.0 motherboard?? Have you ever connected a wiikey to it and have it autoboot? I believe it is possible to make short in the wiikey fusion so that it auto boots automatically. So no need for the pin 29 switch. However I'm not sure if it's a 1.0 ipl thing.... As I've done it on one of those boards.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.
megalomaniac

Re: XenoFUSION

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:31 pm

i have never tested an IPL 1.0 board...but with every other IPL ive tested, ive noticed only WKF firmware 1.0 allows autoboot
with firmware 1.0 no switch is required, only pin29 to GND
with every other firmware the switch is required

only problem with WKF FW 1.0 is it does not have proper GC menu support...

are you saying IPL 1.0 induces a different behavior on WKF?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:36 pm

Strangely enough on my new project I have a wiikey fusion 1.5 firmware swiss v0.3 with autoboot. The board is a JAP ipl 1.0 Region modded to a NTSC. Everything works perfect. Just like a normal ipl 1.1 board.

Although I have hardwired my wiikey to the motherboard I don't know if that would make any difference. I do remember making a little adapter from you mega drive and connecting the wiikey. the wiikey wouldn't work. it would give me a red light and do nothing. However a wode works perfectly. When I hardwired the wiikey to the 1.0 board it auto booted???

I'm not quite sure why but it works everytime. I'm also not bothered to remove the wiikey as It's already glued on but maybe something to look into....

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:51 pm

hmmm....connected to the board wode works perfect, WKF doesnt....

remember a few yrs ago someone posted about wiring up a WKF and accidentally zaping it with 12v somewhere which made it autoboot...??
check voltage and/or continuity on pin 29 30 31 32

EDIT: WKF PIN 29 30 31 32....not GC
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:34 am

wkf pin 29 is connected to ground. 30 31 are connected to nothing and are not bridging. Voltage I dont' know I would have to check. Pin 32 gets the standard 3.3v

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:41 pm

LOCtronics wrote:wkf pin 29 is connected to ground. 30 31 are connected to nothing and are not bridging. Voltage I dont' know I would have to check. Pin 32 gets the standard 3.3v
I understand the expected standard pinout...
I am asking about any possible VOLTAGES, GNDS, or SHORTS on your particular WKF that happens to autoboot...
Unless, it's an effect of IPL 1.0, then the answer to autoboot can be found somewhere on your WKF

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Checked all my lines. I've wired all of them as you would normally do. I only have one ground wire and one 3.3v wire. None of them have any shorts. Nor are there points that have shorts that they normally shouldn't have. I have done nothing special to this wiikey as far as I know. The only thing what is different is that I have used kynar wire directly soldered to where the connector was. That's it.

Ofcourse as I said before about using your MEGAboard and it giving me a red light is the only thing I can think of that is different but then again it is a normal error I have gotten before. You still have any wiikey's left?

I'm interested in 2. PM me if you've got them with a total price and international shipping as well as your paypal address. Once I have more wiikey's to play with I'l be able to figuer out what happend.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:06 pm

sorry im out of WKF....
on a side note, im in the middle of doing a WKF repair job finished the repair yesterday with a trial run and everything was normal...so i applied a layer of epoxy...let it cure over night...i just tested it a few minutes ago and it semi-autoboots....

meaning the led flashes like its suppose to as if the switch was pressed....but it doesnt the linux iso yet...
so im running a few tests now to see what i can find out...

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:55 pm

Ahwell though cookies for me :P

Hmm strange... I haven't put epoxy on mine. Just hot glue for the time being. I wonder if I take it off if it'll make any difference.... Maybe the wire length makes a difference....

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:40 am

Mega you can use the WiiKey I reserved from you if it will help
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:04 am

Diminuendo wrote:Mega you can use the WiiKey I reserved from you if it will help
thanks for the offer, but i would use one of my personal reserves before using yours or anyone else's to experiment with....

..and, now that i found the short...here is what i think happened...

im thinking the 3v signal was shorting to GND and traveling back thru pin29 causing the autoboot like LED activity, but since 3v was constantly present on GND and back up to pin29, the iso never loaded because pin 29 was "still open"

which makes me wonder if a floating gnd might have the same effect to trigger autoboot correctly...but safely??

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Oke tested my new wiikey on the adapter you sold me. It works like normal with the pin 29 switch. So it seems it has something to do with that specific wiikey or the ipl 1.0 board. Maybe because it's a JAP board. I'm not sure.

I need another JAP or NTSC board with ipl 1.0. Know anyone that has one for sale?

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:18 pm

this is very odd data to try to analyze...

the "autoboot WKF" didnt work connected to the MEGAdrive board but when soldered to the mainboard directly it works....
the "other WKF" and WODE works connected to the MEGAdrive...

just to confirm: where is the MEGAdrive installed onto? NTSC-J or NTSC-U? and which IPL?

i can test NTSC-U monday, i have that WKF redo i need to work on so maybe i can stumble across the same thing you found....
unless its something specific to the NTSC-J, which makes no sense since we only connect the same data lines.....
i still have a feeling its something specific to that particular WKF....

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:40 pm

MEGAdrive is installed on a PAL ipl 1.2 board I believe of 1.1

I just out the discdrive connector on the board to make it detachable.

Indeed the "autoboot WKF" didn't work correctly on the MEGAboard at first. Then rewired it and it autoboots. I might have wired something wrong before and fried something along the way without realizing it. For the sake of things I'm going to desolder the wiikey from the NTSC-J board and wire it to a PAL board. If it still autoboots we know it's the wiikey.\

Also note that when I have no sd card insterted the wiikey will load up but no swiis iso is loaded (get the ?) Only when a sd card is inserted will it autoboot the iso. Note that when I but a pin29 switch in it does nothing.

It might have something to do with the sd card shorting a line out and the wiikey recieving the power on signal. Not quite sure but I'll keep you posted in my findings.

BTW do you by chance have any left over sd slots for the wiikey (with the board) no need for the ffc cable I just need the board with sd slot. 2 actually.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:06 am

its not the cardslot...
pin 29 is controlled from a different IO port than the SD card so should have no effect on making it autoboot...

test the WKF as shown in the pic:
ignore the dust on the board...
check if "green" appears as GND when powered OFF...then turn on and check if its no longer GND but now 3v....
check if "yellow" ever shows continuity with "O" in the top left corner...on and/or off
check if "pink" behaves similar to "green"

btw, im ordering more WKFs monday
Attachments
DSCN3192.JPG
(1.71 MiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:19 am

LOCtronics wrote:I have a wiikey fusion 1.5 firmware swiss v0.3 with autoboot.
LOCtronics wrote:Also note that when I have no sd card insterted the wiikey will load up but no swiis iso is loaded (get the ?) Only when a sd card is inserted will it autoboot the iso. Note that when I but a pin29 switch in it does nothing.

i have a WKF wired up to an IPL 1.1 right now and ready to begin testing...before i connect it to an IPL 1.0...
but before i do anything, i have a question about your "autoboot WKF"

you say swiss.iso will not load...you mean swiss as initial iso (swiss firmware) right?
i have an idea i want to try, but i need to know exactly what you mean before i begin testing....
my idea might might not work anyways considering your pin29 does nothing and should be an indication something is fried...

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:27 am

yeah I have swiss 0.3 flashed as initial iso.

What is your genius mind thinking?? :twisted:

As of yet I found a whole sale place where I can get wiikey's for $20 a piece. As of yet I have revived 2 old wiikey's I had laying around but I need the sd slots for them. Do you have 2 of those laying around??

LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:19 pm

ok quick update. it autoboots with a pin 29 switch connected. Then when I press the switch is does recoknize it and turn into a ? then by releasing it it reads the boot iso like it normally would. When powered on the status led goes on and reads the sd card. If their is no sd card no status les wil come up. Nor will pushing the pin 29 button do anything. (non responsive)

I am getting the feeling it has something to do with the sd slot side. As the pin 29 switch functions like normally. However I have another wiikey and that one powers on no matter if you have a sd or not in it. Also the pin 29 switch works with sd card and without sd card. (no autoboot on that one though)

Their seems to be some kind of bug on this particular wiikey that works this way. All the other I have don't. Gonna rewire it to a PAL board now and see if there is any difference.

Also checked all the connections you said and nothing seems to be off. 3.3v stays 3.3 and gnd stays ground. No switching is going on.

LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:17 pm

Ok so here's the deal:

wikkey on ntsc-j board ipl 1.0 (autoboot)
wiikey on ntsc-u board ipl 1.1 (autoboot)
wiikey on pal board ipl 1.0 (autoboot)

I removed the sd card and power it up. Then did the pin 29 switch and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I believe it has something to do with the timing. But that means the wiikey works like it normally is supposed to work with the extra of autobooting when a sd card is inserted. Any idea's of what could be the cause?? I have cut the sd ffc in half and hardwired it to the wiikey however I have also done that on a other wiikey and that one doesn't autoboot.

Check this video for a better view: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtdGev5F ... e=youtu.be

I rewired everything and I can confirm that pin 26,27 and 28 are not needed and are only for audio streaming via dvd drive as you stated. I have loaded up around 25 games and all of them work perfectly. As I was playing with the wires anyway I also removed pin 25 and pin 24. I don't know what they are for but it seems they are also not needed. All games worked and wiikey functioned as normal.

So I can say with certainty that you only need pin 1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,22,23(lid switch),29(eject switch to gnd), GND (I use a thicker wire to be sure) and 3.3v. That's in total 16 wires!!!

Last edited by LOCtronicz on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:36 pm

megalomaniac wrote:i have an idea i want to try
LOCtronics wrote:What is your genius mind thinking?? :twisted:

YEA SUCKAS !!!!!!

i think i found the secret to making WKF autoboot....
my idea does seem to work afterall...

ill make a video of the next one i do....

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:03 pm

OEEEEEE please do tell!!! I can try it out straight away.....

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:19 am

just waiting on ashen or loctronics to second check and verify....
video is almost done uploading and all will be revealed... (youtube upload takes forever)

Image Image Image
LOCtronicz

Post by LOCtronicz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:28 am

It is done! Your method works. Release it to the world!! tested on 3 brand new wiikey's :mrgreen:

Now we need a method to downgrade the original wiikeys with firmwar 1.5 back to 1.0 if that's even possible. Or maybe even 1.2... Did that have the autoboot feature?

Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:33 am

You just have to run the update for it. Then it will go back to 1.0 or 1.5 or what have you.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:54 am

only 1.0 has autoboot

and there is no 1.0 iso to downgrade.....YET !!

Image Image Image