Power plug alternative

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
detonatorinf

Power plug alternative

Post by detonatorinf » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:56 am

I'm using a old PC PSU to power my Gamecube. I removed the plastic connector which sends the 12v+ and got something like this:

It worked well in the beginning. But, with the time, the metal connector started to loosen and now the console resets sometimes. I searched for information about the gamecube cable but could not find any similar eletronic who used the same jack model. Any idea of a similar plug or modding solution for this problem? :(

Sorry for the bad English.
Cybertronic

Re: Power plug alternative

Post by Cybertronic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:36 am

Why are all the cables white? 12V should be Yellow on an ATX PSU. Do you have the broken Gamecube adapter still? If so, cut the cord and wire it up to a 12V laptop power adaptor or that PSU that you have. If you don't have that you could always solder a different jack on the the Gamecube but if it were me, I'd just get another power adapter.

To me $10 - $13 is worth avoiding the hassle of switching out the power connector or messing around with unnecessary wires and using an inefficient PC PSU.

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Gamecube ... s=gamecube
detonatorinf

Post by detonatorinf » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:15 am

The picture was just a example. I use the normal color cables (yellow and black).

I really tried to find a gamecube AC adapter. Even a broken one. But in my country (Brazil) they are rare and expensive (40$ when a PC PSU its just 10/15$). Amazon doesn't ship those kind of products to my country and i had bad lucky dealing with chinese online stores. :P
using an inefficient PC PSU
So... i will be facing problems in the future? I can get a Wii power adapter but the power plug still a problem.
KrzyInuYasha

Post by KrzyInuYasha » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:42 am

You could use a Wii (not Wii U) adapter on the GC with out issue the voltage is is the same and rated up to 3.75A vs the GC original 3.25 current load (You can all ways go higher in AMPs with a AC adapter, but not voltage and never lower). How ever you would need to change the plug on the Wii adapter or trim the outer key part of the plug and make sure you got the + - in the proper order.

BTW don't mean to offend with the note with the amps thing, just adding ir for those who see this thread and don't know about it.
public-pervert

Post by public-pervert » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:05 pm

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB- ... e-cube-_JM

Voce consegue uma fonte por 40 conto no MercadoLivre ;D
Cybertronic

Post by Cybertronic » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:07 pm

KrzyInuYasha wrote:You could use a Wii (not Wii U) adapter on the GC with out issue the voltage is is the same and rated up to 3.75A vs the GC original 3.25 current load (You can all ways go higher in AMPs with a AC adapter, but not voltage and never lower). How ever you would need to change the plug on the Wii adapter or trim the outer key part of the plug and make sure you got the + - in the proper order.

BTW don't mean to offend with the note with the amps thing, just adding ir for those who see this thread and don't know about it.

Looking at both the GC and Wii Power bricks right now and I would like to point out on the GC cord the pin closest to the flat or straight edge is negative, and the pin for the curved side is Positive. On the Wii, this is reversed! The flat side is positive, and the angled side is negative.

So in addition to trimming the key around the connector the positive and negative wires need to be switched.

Also, HOLY COW!!! that is an expensive power adapter!

Here is a comparison picture.

Attachments
Wii-GC-power.jpg
(44.65 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KrzyInuYasha

Post by KrzyInuYasha » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:37 am

Yea when I said you had to trim the key and make sure you had the proper polarity, I meant the entire outer plastic where the pins are so only the 2 inner pins were left that you could then plug into the jack. But thanks for posting the extra info and pics so people can understand better what we are talking about.
duke2k7

Post by duke2k7 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Guys,

I'd just like to chime in here and say thank you for this thread; I needed an alternative power option to test some GC's I had to test, and this has worked perfectly for me.

So thanks for the (albeit unbeknownst) assistance on this thread.

Rob.
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:38 pm

replaces the original source with a TV receiver.
but he has
12v 2A. :!:
nothing unusual, well-lit leds.
connect well, don't fail. :lol:

I say this because I used other sources and they did not provide capacity. :(
there were drizzles on the screen.

that's fine now, but with 12v 2A.

Swiss only.
engine stopped.
now will it be a long-term problem? :idea:
???
:idea: :geek: SWISS USER :geek: :idea:
DEBUG IS NECESSARY :arrow: :ugeek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:16 am

Not as long as you don't use much third-party accessories such as LCD screen conected to the same power source.
I have modded one of my GC PSU's to connect an AMP-meter, and from the first tests, it rarely gets up to 2 amps (1.85A at boot/spinup, Dol-001, GBP, 2SD, 1memcard, no digital plug, one controller, heavy work in games with disc off gets up to 1.75A). Still, I didn't try with four controllers rumbling at the same time, but if you play alone, there shouldn't be any problems.

I have read here and there a GC doesn't draw more than 1.5A, I didn't try the Dol-101 yet to confirm this, but the Dol-001 never gets this low, even totally nude (no disc, no cable, no controller, no extension).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:05 pm

Papy.G wrote: it rarely gets up to 2 amps

this information is very relevant, added technical data. :geek:

the behavior for 2 controllers is the same;
on dol 101 too. I feel more relaxed because my use is basic in NGC. :mrgreen:
:idea: :geek: SWISS USER :geek: :idea:
DEBUG IS NECESSARY :arrow: :ugeek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:49 pm

Also, trimming the minimum plastic can keep a Wii's power block compatible and safe with both systems, with no need to reverse the wiring.

For testing purpose, one can connect the power straight inside, there are 1/10" spacing pin headers for internal 12V connections.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)