Replacing the image in opening.bnr

ShockSlayer

Replacing the image in opening.bnr

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:48 pm

I'm interested in changing the image file within the opening.bnr files found in GC isos. For Melee hacking, of course. :P GC-rebuilder won't accept any type of .bmp I give it, though.

I noticed Swiss has it's own .bnr file, so I figure it's doable. Any insight?

SS
megalomaniac

Re: Replacing the image in opening.bnr

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:09 pm

emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:14 am

That's basically what I'm looking for, thanks! Kind of a pain though that it's Linux only, but I guess I can run a VM. Unless there's a Windowstastic way to do this?

SS
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:55 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:That's basically what I'm looking for, thanks! Kind of a pain though that it's Linux only, but I guess I can run a VM. Unless there's a Windowstastic way to do this?

SS
never knew there was one (doesn't mean there isn't) but the linux one works really good!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:15 pm

I should hope so. I'm still trying to figure out how to...well everything. I got the VM up and running if that counts! Having no damn clue how to operate linux sucks.

SS
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:34 am

You should check out a forum called Linux questions. Org helped me way back when.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:10 am

the most important part to learn is how to get your requirements installed....
you just cant build something....
you typically need to build something to build something else to be able to build what you want....

it would be one of those long how-to threads that happen to scare people away rather than draw people in....
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:07 pm

hay guys, i found the gc tool: PNG2CARD.

it can take a .png file and convert it to a gamecube compatible banner for .bnr use.

i tried using the program on my windows 7 laptop, but i can't seem to get it to work properly,

any help on how to make it run properly?

thanx :mrgreen:
PNG2CARD by CrowTRobo
---------------------

This tool will convert a PNG image to an array of data suitable for
being used as a banner or icon on a GameCube memory card. This was
written to be used in conjunction with my memory card code that is
now available as part of GCLIB which can be found at:

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/gclib/

PNG2CARD converts 96x32 and 32x32 images which are the size of the
banner and icons respectively. Three image types are supported:
Palette, RGB and RGB with Alpha channel. These get converted to
the three GC formats that they correspond to:

CI8 (8bit color indexed)
RGB5 (5 bits per color)
RGB4A3 (4 bits per color and 3 bits for alpha)

Usage
-----

PNG2CARD <png file> <output file> <array name>

<png file> is the PNG image you want to convert

<output file> is the file you want the array to be written to. If the
file already exists, the data is appended. This way you can output
multiple images to the same file. For instance, when using animated icons.

<array name> is the name you want for the array of image data.

If you get a "libpng warning" about the "iCCP chunk" when using PNG2CARD,
you can just ignore it. The program doesn't use this chunk of the PNG
file so the warning is irrelevant.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:16 pm

sounds like that program will write it into an array to be included in a program rather than a .bnr. I'm pretty sure I've seen tga2bnr or something ancient that has worked well. Worst case, someone here can write one, it's pretty easy.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:25 pm

emu_kidid wrote:sounds like that program will write it into an array to be included in a program rather than a .bnr. I'm pretty sure I've seen tga2bnr or something ancient that has worked well. Worst case, someone here can write one, it's pretty easy.
yeah, thanx for the info, emu_kidid :)
i messed around with PNG2CARD program a bit and finally got it to work.

anyways after doning that in CMD then i got the smash bros melee opening.bnr file and opened it up in Hexeditor (the program that is used for making he custom .hps file fit porperprly in melee) smash boards guide stuff.

um, for the opening.bnr i found that the description of the banner starts from the offset 01820 to 0149F0 (english text)
and the first letters from offset 00 > 03 are the code for the BNR2 (it contains more than BNR1) Language multi (Europe mostly)

so i took these two bits of offset code from the melee banner and "paste insert" them into my vanguard.bnr (in the same sections as opening.bnr)

then i renamed Vanguard.bnr > opening.bnr and pasted it into melee hack root.

opened it up in GCrebulider and it worked :shock:

but the banner image is messed up, why? and how to fix this?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:21 pm

When you paste in the hex editor, make sure it's overwriting and not changing the total size of the file because all the offsets in the file are fixed addresses/size.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:56 pm

emu_kidid wrote:When you paste in the hex editor, make sure it's overwriting and not changing the total size of the file because all the offsets in the file are fixed addresses/size.
so, instead of "paste insert" the codes in, i "paste write'?

also is this process similar to how you made the swiss.bnr for swiss app?

also, when i use PNG2CARD program, it's not that hard to use. when converting the vanguard.png to vanguard.bnr and then opening it in hex editor, the code from 00 > 08? is "unsigned"
unlike the code on a gc .bnr which starts with BNR code. when pasting the code for BNR in the .bnr custom it becomes readable by GC rebulider.

i still can't get the image to appear properly.

the read me of the png2card says that the 96x36 is for the banner and 32x32 is for the icon for the memcard.

images of the hex editing Opening.bnr (melee):

BNR2 code 00 > 03:

offset 01820 > 019F0

Attachments
OpeningbnrOffset01820019F0_zpsb8e1b92a.jpg
(83.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
OpeningbnrBNR2_zps31149976.jpg
(96.52 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:43 pm

any help or advice on how to get the image to appear properly?
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:36 pm

yesterday i finally cracked the issue of the custom banner :)

i thought about your quote here of using an ancient TGA2BNR app to make the bnr file with the correct image,

and it hit me, the program that can convert early a tag file to bar file is GCbanner 0.3 by looser!

so, i got the .jpeg image i wanted to make as a banner:

steps for making my bnr:

1) i took the vanguard.jpeg image and plugged it into Infranview (i figured since it can convert images to .ppm and etc formats, then why not .tga file?)

2) conveted the vanguard image to .tga with resize of 96 x 32 for GC banner requirements.

3) used CMD to launch the GCbanner app and used b command to convert the vanguard.tga -> vanguard.bnr, and it worked!
file size is 6.something kb.

then i plugged it into the root melee hack, opened GCrebulider (root) and it shows up perfectly fine!
deckard

Post by deckard » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:28 pm

Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out. Thanks for sharing the details
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:49 pm

I found that I can use photoshop to out put to 16 bit BMP and GCRebuilder will finally accept that as the BMP import. You MUST add the alpha layer! (also make sure that "Alpha Channel" is checked on the save file dialog box) If you don't Photoshop won't save it in the right format. (has to be 16bit A1 R5 G5 B5)

In photoshop's "advanced mode" dialog, be sure that the above mentioned format is selected. Do not check "Flip row order" box! Will result in corrupted image in GCRebuilder!)

I did try Gimp. But it doesn't seem to do it right and the image comes in corrupted. (most likely wrong channel order). There may be better alternatives to Photoshop for those who need free options though. But that's what format GCRebuilder expacts. BMP 16-bit A1 R5 G5 B5 <--- Remember that. ;)

I don't need to go through all that mess just to use a custom banner image. Photoshop kicks so much ass. :D
ImageImage
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:23 am

deckard wrote:Glad to hear you were able to get it sorted out. Thanks for sharing the details
yep, if it weren't for emu_kidid giving me the answering to solving the issue, i wouldn't have been able to figure this out :mrgreen:

thanx, deckard! the details i shared are good, but i'll put them in a guide with pics etc (this will be helpful to others that want to make a custom bnr for their GC game (even for n64 games on GC game).
Apache Thunder wrote:I found that I can use photoshop to out put to 16 bit BMP and GCRebuilder will finally accept that as the BMP import. You MUST add the alpha layer! (also make sure that "Alpha Channel" is checked on the save file dialog box) If you don't Photoshop won't save it in the right format. (has to be 16bit A1 R5 G5 B5)

In photoshop's "advanced mode" dialog, be sure that the above mentioned format is selected. Do not check "Flip row order" box! Will result in corrupted image in GCRebuilder!)

I did try Gimp. But it doesn't seem to do it right and the image comes in corrupted. (most likely wrong channel order). There may be better alternatives to Photoshop for those who need free options though. But that's what format GCRebuilder expacts. BMP 16-bit A1 R5 G5 B5 <--- Remember that. ;)

don't need to go through all that mess just to use a custom banner image. Photoshop kicks so much ass. :D
yeah, that's another way to go about it, something i hadn't thought of ever. nice idea, Apache ThunderI

thanx for sharing your method, man :)

gamer