can I use wii without wiimote using gc controller?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
mat8888

can I use wii without wiimote using gc controller?

Post by mat8888 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:43 pm

I just picked up a Wii at a flea market, with 2 wiimotes, av cable, power cable, and a bar. The only reason I got it was for the progressive scan ability, since I already have a modded gamecube.

So my initial thought, I would sell both wiimotes on ebay. So I turned it on and I realized the gamecube controllers do not work on the wii menu. I am planning on softmodding it later today, is there some hack I can do to enable the GC controllers on the wii menu? That's all I'd be using it for as I don't have any [edit:] wii games.
Last edited by mat8888 on Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SNEAKxxATTACK

Re: can I use wii without wiimote using gc controller?

Post by SNEAKxxATTACK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:15 pm

Use priiloader and boot directly to home brew channel. Then boot from there your GC game loader of choice. Shockslayer made a video demonstrating this. I forget if he ever got around to making a guide to do it though.

Just install priiloader and look in the settings
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:08 pm

You should really keep one wiimote.

Some games and homebrew are wiimote only.

example http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Pissed
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
SNEAKxxATTACK

Post by SNEAKxxATTACK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:28 pm

I think he just wants it to be a gamecube that has the option for a cheap and available component cable
mat8888

Post by mat8888 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:48 pm

SNEAKxxATTACK wrote:I think he just wants it to be a gamecube that has the option for a cheap and available component cable
Exactly! But I have decided to only sell 1 on ebay, and I'll keep the other one JIC. :P purchased one on ebay for $3 today. And also USA shipping, so I hope to get it this week. ^_^ I can't wait to play Super Mario Sunshine in 480p goodness [maybe 576P if my tv supports it--however since it showed a black screen for 576i, I slightly doubt it will work with 576P].

So I go to softmod it.. but http://bootmii.org/download/ is down. [Trying to follow this guide: https://sites.google.com/site/completes ... the-basics with IOS 3.3U.] Does anyone have the 4.2 and below bootmii installer that they could upload, or point me to a file that will work for IOS 3.3U?
SNEAKxxATTACK wrote:Use priiloader and boot directly to home brew channel. Then boot from there your GC game loader of choice. Shockslayer made a video demonstrating this. I forget if he ever got around to making a guide to do it though.

Just install priiloader and look in the settings
sounds interesting, but can I do this after I softmod (bootmii)? I just glanced at the wiki and it seems like you're only supposed to do it to an unmodded wii?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:01 pm

the best solution is bootmii
priiloader is for those who are unable to install bootmii

also might want to consider not to ever upgrade your menu and turn wiiconnect off
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
SNEAKxxATTACK

Post by SNEAKxxATTACK » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:16 pm

Hackmii installer can unhack a wii as well as hack it, and you can use it to install bootmii. I'm currently using both. Boot into bootmii and priiloader for menu hacks and such.

I agree with mega, I kinda brainfarted and disregarded some stuff. Filetrip.com or qj.net has a surplus of useful files. Also just search for the softmodded proper for your firmware.

Banner bomb is the best but choose the version, again, suited for your wii's firmware. I kept mine at 3.2u
mat8888

Post by mat8888 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:55 pm

megalomaniac wrote:the best solution is bootmii
priiloader is for those who are unable to install bootmii

also might want to consider not to ever upgrade your menu and turn wiiconnect off
should I just disconnect my wifi? or is there a setting to just disable updates?

I clicked WiiConnect24, and it said I have to agree to terms, so I clicked no. does that mean it's disabled?
SNEAKxxATTACK wrote:Hackmii installer can unhack a wii as well as hack it, and you can use it to install bootmii. I'm currently using both. Boot into bootmii and priiloader for menu hacks and such.

I agree with mega, I kinda brainfarted and disregarded some stuff. Filetrip.com or qj.net has a surplus of useful files. Also just search for the softmodded proper for your firmware.

Banner bomb is the best but choose the version, again, suited for your wii's firmware. I kept mine at 3.2u
If possible I want to follow the guide here: https://sites.google.com/site/completes ... the-basics
the only problem I can't load bootmii.org. So basically, I just need a mirror of bootmi. Is 1.5 the latest version? I don't want to screw up my new [to me] wii. :P so if anyone could give me a link to the right one [I have 3.3U, and yes the guide says to use bannerbomb] :)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:03 pm

megalomaniac wrote:priiloader is for those who are unable to install bootmii
That's not true. Priiloader enables System Menu hacks, while bootmii is only an alternative loader.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:25 pm

Easist way is too use Modmii for windows OS.

All you do is answer some questions enter your wii MAC address and everything you need is downloaded and put on SD card for you.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
mat8888

Post by mat8888 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:57 pm

Edit: Just wanted to say, I stumbled upon an easy solution: install bootmii, and install the files to SD card. Whenever you boot with it in, it will boot bootmii first, and you can use a GC controller to boot homebrew channel, then into Swiss loader, and therefore not need a Wiimote!

But I'd recommend having one on hand, because sooner or later you will probably need to boot into Wii mode. :P