Wii and its games with fake widescreen support, Black Bars!

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
deku_scrub

Wii and its games with fake widescreen support, Black Bars!

Post by deku_scrub » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 pm

So, now I got a brand new LCD TV with 32 inches.

I didn't knew that some games had this issue, then I asked my friends about this issue and they also got this issue. Even using an composite cable in 480i, this issue appears. Yes, only with LCD TVs (maybe Plasma too)!

My TV have an feature that I can fill those black bars by expanding the image, but some games like Simpsons Hit & Run, the black bars are fatter.

Seems every GameCube game have this issue, at least running from an Wii.

It's a shame, very annoyng thing, and the incredible Wii64 does got this issue, and it is the only homebrew that got those black bars. By the way, Homebrew Channel have slim black bars on the sides too!

Check the pictures that I took with my Camera and see by yourself.
There's examples of perfect widescreen games and games with fake, black bars widescreen.

NOTE: My TV is NTSC / PAL-M / PAL-N. And it is HD Ready (1366x768) but it can display in Full HD (1920x1080) so perfectly that I didn't noticed any difference from my real Full HD that we use in the living room.
My Wii is American, and all of my games are American too.
The TV is one Panasonic Viera TC-L32C20B, with IPS technology. (Maybe it matters :b)

Please click to se it larger and read the notes in the picture.

Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

More information (Very interesting):

http://boards.ign.com/nintendo_wii_lobb ... 825984/p1/
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/ ... 75338.html
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=753422

If you have this issue and you think it's annoying too, fell free to leave a comment.
__ deku_scrub __ Wii D3-2 | System 4.3 | HC installed using Smash Stack | WODE Jukebox
Xbox 360 Slim 4GB | 320GB Hacked HDD | x360key
GrEvilKin

Re: Wii and its games with fake widescreen support, Black Ba

Post by GrEvilKin » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:55 pm

Only one thing to say, you're one whiny kid.

Seriously who cares. I may get that on Wii, I know I get some tiny bars on DotByDot mode on my TV with the 360. If I wanted to get rid of the bars I could stretch the image, but I don't, I don't give a ****. It's not like max half an inch smaller image that will kill me.

Seriously.

And if you're worried for burnins, LCDs don't burn in. Is your Windows taskbar burned in your LCD computer screen? No. Plasmas used to burn in but nowadays you get the same quality as recent tube models. Old tube TVs burned in. Newer don't. Same goes for plasma.

Seriously.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:43 pm

GrEvilKin wrote:Seriously who cares.
Well, I personally know a lot of people who care. If this isn't an issue for you, you cant expect the same from other people. Just respect that.
YuanZ

Post by YuanZ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:59 pm

Same problem here. But most games in gc mode are just 4:3 ratio expanded (try to change your tv to 4:3 and the image will fill it almost completely).

American wii here too and Panasonic PZ80 (50", 1080p native).
deku_scrub

Post by deku_scrub » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:23 am

GrEvilKin wrote:Only one thing to say, you're one whiny kid.

Seriously who cares. I may get that on Wii, I know I get some tiny bars on DotByDot mode on my TV with the 360. If I wanted to get rid of the bars I could stretch the image, but I don't, I don't give a ****. It's not like max half an inch smaller image that will kill me.

Seriously.

And if you're worried for burnins, LCDs don't burn in. Is your Windows taskbar burned in your LCD computer screen? No. Plasmas used to burn in but nowadays you get the same quality as recent tube models. Old tube TVs burned in. Newer don't. Same goes for plasma.

Seriously.
Hey, thanks for those offences!

Maybe you're not the kind of person like I am, who likes to buy hi-end things, like Harman Kardon hometheater, Bose Headphones, JBL speakers, Logitech Z-2300 sound system for pc, Logitech mx revolution mouse...

Listen, there's a lot of guys who prefer to use Vynil discs instead of CDs, just because the sound is a little bit better on Vynils, so, if I have an widescreen TV or whatever and some games appear black bars on the sides, how can I not care about that?!

And about buin-in, its a thing from the past that only used to happen with plasma.

Thanks again for being so cool and nice.
__ deku_scrub __ Wii D3-2 | System 4.3 | HC installed using Smash Stack | WODE Jukebox
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:41 am

With regards to the black bars on the sides, the only way I've got around this on my widescreen tv is to either use the 16:9 option in the games (via the system menu option) or to have the image either zoom or stretch via the TV option which isn't that great :(
deku_scrub

Post by deku_scrub » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:47 am

Why not code the game with a real 16x9 like Zelda and others?!?

Such a shame...
GrEvilKin

Post by GrEvilKin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:04 pm

deku_scrub wrote:
GrEvilKin wrote:Only one thing to say, you're one whiny kid.

Seriously.

Seriously.
Hey, thanks for those offences!

Maybe you're not the kind of person like I am, who likes to buy hi-end things, like Harman Kardon hometheater, Bose Headphones, JBL speakers, Logitech Z-2300 sound system for pc, Logitech mx revolution mouse...

Listen, there's a lot of guys who prefer to use Vynil discs instead of CDs, just because the sound is a little bit better on Vynils, so, if I have an widescreen TV or whatever and some games appear black bars on the sides, how can I not care about that?!

And about buin-in, its a thing from the past that only used to happen with plasma.

Thanks again for being so cool and nice.
Sorry for the not so nice post. I just didn't get the point of your rant, it's there and you can't do much about it. FYI, I always buy the most quality product in my price range, so I guess I'm a bit like you, my TV is 2 years old, Sharp. In my opinion that's the best brand, since they invented LCD themselves and were the main suppliers for many Nintendo products like the DS, etc.

Anyway, I can't really tell if the HBC has black bars or not, I didn't notice. I guess all you can do is play with your TV settings.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:46 am

^ Wrong
GrEvilKin

Post by GrEvilKin » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm

I said LCD, not LCD TVs, and I meant LCD displays in general. Anyway I was wrong too, I don't know where I got that Sharp was the first to make them but according to Wiki I'm wrong it was something like RCA or Samsung or something, very confusing article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_cry ... ef_history
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:18 pm

The most sucking thing is Mario Party 8 with the coloured bars on the sides :evil: Like in this screenshot:
deku_scrub

Post by deku_scrub » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:02 pm

Yeah yeah, at least it doesnt have black bars....
MarioBr1

Post by MarioBr1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:49 am

deku_scrub wrote:Yeah yeah, at least it doesnt have black bars....
This is a little of-topic but you are missing a star in Galaxy (There are 121 stars for both Mario and Luigi :p)

BOT: The Wii64 black-bars are really big, I hope that gets fixed in their next release :)

I have black-bars for every GameCube game (because they weren't coded in 16x9) and some early Wii games like Super Paper Mario (but Twilight Princess came out earlier and has perfect 16x9) :L

Some Virtual Console games have black-bars too

oh well, I just try to ignore them, but when they are really big they are hard to ignore